Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

Default Re: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

i only use the vintage seiko tuners with a wire...st -900 909 800 or sat 501....

Quote Originally Posted by 707erich View Post
    If you don’t need or have a use for the polyphonic part of the TC Electronic unitune you can get just there chromatic version at Sweetwater for $29.99.
    Looks like Sweetwater just increased the price to $35.00

It has been years now that we've all had that crap clamped onto the headstock. I would like to invite all (at least gigging/on stage musicians) to care about your appearance and employ the micro-type tuner or if you plug in, an in-line device. Whilst I was appreciative of the convenience when they first appeared, I thought they all looked really dumb from the outset, especially the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 one (Snark). Lately I have heard many (musicians and audience members alike) voice this opinion. Clean up your look onstage...hide your tuner!
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    It has been years now that we've all had that crap clamped onto the headstock. I would like to invite all (at least gigging/on stage musicians) to care about your appearance..........I thought they all looked really dumb from the outset, ...... Clean up your look onstage...hide your tuner!
    I don't plug in.

I've seen Chris Thile practically leave his tuner on for an entire show, tuning before EVERY SONG.

The audience has no idea, except gear nerds.

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

I don't plug in.

I've seen Chris Thile practically leave his tuner on for an entire show, tuning before EVERY SONG.

The audience has no idea, except gear nerds.
    Exactly. I've never heard a non-musician spectator complain about the appearance of a clip-on tuner. IMO, being out of tune is much more noticeable than a headstock tuner.
    Mitch Russell

Have become used to having the tuner on the instrument so it's easier to adjust tuning during a set. Today we are playing outside and will probably retune twice during our set. In this band, the fiddler uses my tuning as her reference.

For this show will use the Unitune, but am going to have a Korg Sledgehammer Custom (AAA battery version) in my pocket as backup.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

After seeing Bela Fleck in Detroit last month and trying to support artists via the merchandise table I picked up hit Flecktune heart shaped tuner. Already had the album, didn't want a poster. It works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Exactly. I've never heard a non-musician spectator complain about the appearance of a clip-on tuner. IMO, being out of tune is much more noticeable than a headstock tuner.
    Conversely, I never gave it a thought until a non-musician pointed it out (providing the reference to Mystery Science Theatre), and it has happened more than once. This opened my eyes to how it looks. Why have, say, an F5 mandolin with an artistically distinctive headstock then clamp some goofy looking distraction on it? Worse is seeing a guitar player with a Snark and a Kyser capo clamped on the headstock...looks like he's playing a damn swiss army knife, not a Martin guitar. This being the internet, I am prepared to be told I am not entitled to my opinion. Additionally, Hey, Thele: maybe get a good mandolin that does not require constant tuning!
    too many strings

Ha!

A small sub-group gathers in a room to discuss low-cost devices used to keep in tune, thereby making for pleasant playing and listening.

Someone enters that room, and says they should instead be using a signal chain, and then moving the tuner to that signal chain. The person also feels much more in command of tuning and performing issues than Thiele, although I'm not sure if the group got the low-down on how much experience is behind that opinion.

Having performed for paying audiences at least once or twice, under differing environmental conditions, I personally have found that ambient temperatures, stage lights, and even handling can make *strings* change temperature, affecting their tuning.

Hmm... and that last part was interesting, the idea that Thiele's F5 was chosen for appearance instead of sound.

People are definitely entitled to their opinions, even those who blunder into a group discussing staying in tune, while loudly professing that appearance is more important than sound when performing. As to whether any given opinion is actually valued might be a different story.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!