Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

Default Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

My Snark just fell apart. Turns out this is a known defect for many years, making it designed to fail. I can't support that.

I have one of the foldable Fishman tuners, it's old and dependable but it's hard to see outdoors.

So, I ordered a Peterson strobe clip on because they remind me of when I was young and the band I was in finally got a Peterson strobe tuner. It meant we had "arrived". Ah, the 70's...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Default Re: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    My Snark just fell apart. Turns out this is a known defect for many years, making it designed to fail. I can't support that.

I have one of the foldable Fishman tuners, it's old and dependable but it's hard to see outdoors.

So, I ordered a Peterson strobe clip on because they remind me of when I was young and the band I was in finally got a Peterson strobe tuner. It meant we had "arrived". Ah, the 70's...
    I keep a handful of D'addario micros on hand. I usually get the ones that screw onto the tuners. Can't even see them from the front, no marks on the headstock finish.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Micr...NrPXRydWU&th=1

3. The following members say thank you to starrbri for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Try a KLIQ. You must hold the on/off button a little longer to turn on or off than other clip-ons I have used. However, they are built rugged enough to not require careful handling. I have yet to have the swivel break on one.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I use the stroboclip mostly, but only have one, so I move it from mandolin case to guitar case, etc., which is a PITA

Are those D’Addario micros easily visible outdoors in the sunlight?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Peterson stroboclip, but it’s a spendy piece of plastic!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I've used Peterson strobe (digital emulation) tuners for years, clip-on and tabletop versions. I'm using the current StroboClip HD but I still have my older "silver TV" clip-on version as backup. Both work well in bright daylight.

The only thing I don't like about the current StroboClip model is that it's a bit fussy to turn on and off, and I have to be careful not to hit the buttons that change the target A pitch. The older "silver TV" model didn't have that problem but it's larger. I like the way the current one is more inconspicuous and can be tucked behind the headstock.

Been having good luck with the Unitune lately.

The new rechargeable Snark works better than the battery powered ones, but I still don't care much for them.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

9. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Second the Unitune, I have several. I also have a Peterson, the Unitune is nearly as accurate. The big plus is I use one that I leave out daily, several times, and can get more than a year from the battery. I don't know of any tuner, that is as accurate, that will have a battery life like the Unitune. The display is bright enough for daylight and you can use it as a normal tuner or in strobe mode, where it is more accurate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I’ve switched from d’addario micro to Unitune as well.

An old, OLD, intellitouch tuner. Uses big watch batteries.
    Also got an app on the phone. But for noisey stages, it's tuff to beat the Intellitouch.

+1 more for Daddario micro tuners.
    I like to always keep mine on and those ones stand out the least. I keep the actual tuner part on the back of the headstock so only a little part of the clip is visible from the front. The batteries last long and I haven't had issues reading them or with them breaking.

I used to use Snarks exclusively, but the ball joint cup is pretty prone to breaking, so I've been replacing them.

I have a TC Unitune, but only one (and several instruments), so I keep a Fender FT1 in the mandolin case for when the Unitune isn't to hand. The Fender works OK, fits in a small case compartment, and is cheap enough to have spares.

D.H.
    Last edited by Dave Hicks; Jun-21-2022 at 11:29am.

Using D'Addario micros now, and generally satisfied. On the back of the headstock, they're generally shaded enough so I can read 'em outdoors.

The one thing I loved about the older red Snarks was the microphone option; made it easier to tune things like Autoharps. I keep a couple around for that purpose.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

+1 to the TC electronics unitune

BOSS TU-03. Also a metronome

I've got the D'Addario "clip-free" Micro on both mandolins. Works well enough for me. Having it always there, never marking the headstock, or breaking are enough plusses to outweigh any negatives. (Well, our son broke one because he didn't understand that it didn't "articulate" like the Snark-types until he'd tried to angle it away from the headstock! But, in my hands, so far they hold up.)

I still have a clip-on for the guitar (from Reverb, actually) that I got years ago. Been getting a little flaky so have to look for something else there one of these days.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

+1 on those old Intelli tuners - very dependable. Mine recently took a walk somewhere (don't ask), so I replaced with a D'Addario, but I'm not keen, it is excellent for guitars basses and OM's, but not so great on mandolins IMO. Looks like I'd better check out the Unitune.

Unitune is the correct answer

Intellitouch , (before that, an A=440 Hz tuning fork)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

22. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I have a LOT of clip on tuners! My main tuner is the Peterson Stroboclip HD (especially for the sweetened mandolin setting), but I have quite a few of the D’Addario micro headstock tuners for misc instruments like guitars, ukes and banjos. I buy the D’Addarios in two-packs and keep them on most headstocks. I also give them away when family or friend is needing a tuner!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

TC Electronics Polytune - have used them for years and very happy with them. I also have a Strobotune clip on but I prefer to use it with my acoustic guitar, I've always found it a wee bit tricky to use with my mandolin for some reason as compared to the Polytune.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Been using the D'Addario micro. It's on the front of the Brentrup headstock. Had it on the back, but it was touching the support in the Hoffee.

Might start using the Unitune again on it. Although I wasn't happy with visibility in the sun.

Also have a Snark HZ which is more robust and can usually be seen in full sunlight.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I am still rocking a shark myself but have grown really weary of it in the last year and looking for an upgrade. I looked up the difference between Unitune and Polytune and not sure I fully grasp it: With Polytune, you can just strum all of the strings on the mandolin and it gives you a reading on all 8 strings? Do y'all use the 'polyphonic' mode or just tune one string at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Second the Unitune, I have several. I also have a Peterson, the Unitune is nearly as accurate. The big plus is I use one that I leave out daily, several times, and can get more than a year from the battery. I don't know of any tuner, that is as accurate, that will have a battery life like the Unitune. The display is bright enough for daylight and you can use it as a normal tuner or in strobe mode, where it is more accurate.
    Having the auto shut-off certainly prolongs the battery life.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    I am still rocking a shark myself but have grown really weary of it in the last year and looking for an upgrade. I looked up the difference between Unitune and Polytune and not sure I fully grasp it: With Polytune, you can just strum all of the strings on the mandolin and it gives you a reading on all 8 strings? Do y'all use the 'polyphonic' mode or just tune one string at a time?
    The Polytune will show all the strings of a guitar, not sure how accurate that is, and it is of no benefit to a mandolin. I have both and prefer the Unitune. I also have the Peterson, and D'Addriio micro. The Unitune is far superior in accuracy, and battery life. It is a little larger, but all in all a better tuner.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!