Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

Default Re: Clip On Tuners / What Cha Got ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msORx8g0Hdg

Not an oversell, it really is that good.

2. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Korg Sledgehammer Pro. Accurate to +/- 0.1 cents. Have one on each Mando, no hassle.

NFI of course.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The Polytune will show all the strings of a guitar, not sure how accurate that is, and it is of no benefit to a mandolin. I have both and prefer the Unitune. I also have the Peterson, and D'Addriio micro. The Unitune is far superior in accuracy, and battery life. It is a little larger, but all in all a better tuner.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msORx8g0Hdg

Not an oversell, it really is that good.
    Thanks for sharing that info. The Polytune and Unitune tuners sound really impressive and it's the first time I learned about them. I think I just found my next tuner :+1

I have a Polytune and it just hasn’t clicked for me. I get it out a couple of times a year and just don’t care for it- maybe I’m just too used to the Peterson tuners.

I got the Korg and peterson clip on mikes, they don't work too well unless i run it thru a couple preamps but after that, into Peterson hd strobe, works great using their Mandolin sweetener tuning

https://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/cm_200/
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    I have a Polytune and it just hasn’t clicked for me. I get it out a couple of times a year and just don’t care for it- maybe I’m just too used to the Peterson tuners.
    The Polytune and Unitune used in the strobe mode is harder to read than the Pererson. If you use the regular mode it is very easy. I go back and forth.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

If you don’t need or have a use for the polyphonic part of the TC Electronic unitune you can get just there chromatic version at Sweetwater for $29.99.

Ive used the Intelli Tuner for a long time, top tuner IMHO

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

10. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The Polytune and Unitune used in the strobe mode is harder to read than the Pererson. If you use the regular mode it is very easy. I go back and forth.
    Agreed. Advertised accuracy is only in strobe mode, isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    Agreed. Advertised accuracy is only in strobe mode, isn’t it?
    Accuracy in strobe is better, 0.02,but it's still good in the chromatic mode, 0.5.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Michael Reichenbach

I am mostly using the TC Electronic Polytune in strobe mode.
    At home I am using a Korg DT-2 (ca. 1987) - this tuner works great a has always been the refernce for me.
    For me it is important that I see the change of the tuning when I turn the knob.
    With both tuners this is possible.
    I have also used some other tuners:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stimmgeraete-02-1200.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	201661
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

i had a couple of snarks fall apart on me recently and the intellitouch we've had for a decade also just gave up the ghost. right now, the only working tuners we have are the d'addario micros/minis and a couple of hand-helds that we got probably 30 years ago and are fine for a quiet room but terrible in any other venue. I'll have to check out some of the others listed here, although i'm a fan of the d'addarios.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

DeltaLab CT30 works for me.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I'm very pleased with my Unitune tuners. Bright display, quick response and seems pretty accurate.
    1992 Flatiron F5 Master model
    2009 Weber A model Fern
    2011 Collings MT mandola
    1985 Flatiron 2M

Blog Entries

Snark works great. When it wears or breaks, (not all that frequently), I get another.

I have a Peterson Stroboclip, and I use it for tuning before a gig. It is insanely accurate, but takes a little more time. Snark is good for jams and keeping the instrument in tune at home.

Also, there are many really good tuning apps for your cell phone. They work really well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I’ve got a few. I like the boss Tu-30. And I have a fender one I like. It’s hard getting ones that work properly with mandolin. But those two work.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I still have a couple of Snark tuners hanging around but mostly I'm using a tc electronics polytune clip-on. You can see it outside pretty well and it's accurate enough for rock 'n roll.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    . . . Are those D’Addario micros easily visible outdoors in the sunlight?
    I just got one because they said they are.

They're not.

My Son of Snark is just a bright, and it's easier to use because you don't have mess with little hinges, avoid unnecessary buttons, or use your teeth to get the battery compartment open. It also costs less.

On the plus side, I love that the D'Addario looks like WALL-E.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Thanks for answering Charlie
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

After a couple of broken Snarks, and another Snark where the plastic became really sticky, I got a TC Polytune about 3 years ago. I now use that for guitar, but have a TC Unitune for mandolin. Both great tuners - very accurate, the batteries last ages, and the display is nice and bright.

I’ve got a few of the Korg Pitch Crow tuners. Been using the same one for years and it’s still just fine. Got 3-4 more in a drawer in case it ever kicks it.

+10 on the TC Unitune. It's bright, accurate, and nails the pitch instantly. I had trouble with cheaper tuners getting the unison pairs in tune with each other, very frustrating. I only use the strobe function when adjusting intonation.

The TCs are good on battery life and I've been using them for years now.

Decided to use a Unitune this past weekend when the Finnish-American band had some shows at a festival. Realized on a crowded stage, it works best not on strobe mode in that situation. Plus, was able to loan it to bandmate who had left their tuner in the case.

Only downside? The slightly larger size meant a couple of bumps to the headstock when folks were moving around on stage. Not a big deal, but it did happen.

The tuner was fast, accurate and easily visible under stage lighting. Again, this was in the non-strobe mode for the Unitune. And all the instruments were sliding around on tuning due to temperature and humidity swings as well as stage lighting. Both the fiddler and myself left our cases open for as long as a half hour before taking the stage and it still didn't eliminate tuning issues. But that has nothing to do with the tuner itself.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My main bench tuner is a Turbo Tuner from Sonic Research. It's as accurate as all the other strobe tuners, and is also the fastest in terms of reacting to the pitch. (I think there are some videos in the bowels of YouTube which show strobe tuners, comparing their accuracy and response time.)

So, when I started using headstock tuners, the Snark got ruled out right away. It has too much slop built into the pitch accuracy, and they broke at the joint a *lot*. Even the supposed "tighter" tuning model is still sloppy and still features that breakable joint.

The two strobe tuners which won out over time were a knock-off Turbo-Tuner LED headstock model (brand forgotten and currently unavailable), and the Korg Sledgehammer Custom (the AAA battery model, cheaper to change batteries and battery lasted longer than the other Sledgehammer model). Both were faster than the various Peterson iterations, and turning a bit to make sure a slight shadow cast across their faces worked under sun/harsh lights.

But those only get used *before* live playing or while recording. For me, any tuner that stick out from the instrument is a possible failure point live.

The other headstock tuner which rose to the top in its various forms is the D'Addario NS Micro Tuner. It is fast, accurate (.03 cents compared to .02 for most strobe tuners), can be placed so it is readable in the playing situations I've encountered (including bright sun and harsh lights), and is unobstrusive, staying on even when instruments are cased. It's one of the things all my main instruments get, along with Fret-Glo fret marker stickers (run a 365 UV flashlight down the side of the neck, and you're set for hours for periods of complete darkness on stage, in the woods, or in the pit).
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I have a D'addario, which is great - but I also have the PRS clip-on tuner, which is rechargeable and that is awesome!