Thread: Martin D28 question

Default Martin D28 question

I inherited a Martin D28. Built in the 70's. Number 398314. I may need to sell it, but I have no idea about it's worth as I really don't know much about guitars. Where/how might I find more info about this guitar?

Default Re: Martin D28 question

One of the the easiest things to do is search for instrument dealers, search their inventory for similar guitars in similar condition, and record asking prices from those that publish them. A consensus of asking prices from dealers will usually give a fair estimate of market value when you consider that asking prices and selling prices tend to be different because of negotiation between seller and buyer.

As for the guitar itself, the 70s, especially before about 1976, are considered some of Martin's worst years. In some ways this can be true, but I've encountered some surprisingly good sounding 70s Martins. The 70s reputation, regardless of how deserved it is, tends to lower market value of the guitars.

The Martin site has the serial number lookup table, and it would place that guitar in 1977, which, as noted, is not a real desirable year. But, it could still be a nice guitar, though someone would need to look at it to determine if the neck set is still good, condition of frets, and placement of bridge (some issues around that time, IIRC) - all things which affect resale. A *guitar* site, like UMGF might be a better place to start with your questions, and include pictures.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Problems to look for in a guitar of this age and of this 'vintage' (some mentioned by Keith):

-body bindings coming loose, especially in the waist.
    -neck in need of a re-set
    -sub-par fret work
    -misplaced bridge/saddle

All of these things are routine repairs for an experienced Martin repair person, but if any are in need of being done they devalue the guitar somewhat. I don't know if you can recover the expense of fixing everything in increased sale price however, so selling "as is" may or may not be the best route.

Teacher, repair person

The price is very dependent on condition, originality of the finish, and playability.

A few years ago you could buy '70's D-28's for $1400 - $1800. Prices have gone up significantly over the last year and a half.
    If the instrument has a clean, original finish without any significant wear, has none of the problems John just mentioned, and plays easily, it might bring $2500 or more, depending on who is selling it. It might be worth your while to consign it with a reputable dealer.

If the instrument is worn or is hard to play, it will bring significantly less.