Thread: Remarking fretboard

Default Remarking fretboard

Hi
    I’m thinking of converting a guitar into a mandocello but wondered how you remark the fretboard with the dots between the right frets.
    Many thanks
    Martin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Remarking fretboard

For mandocello I would move the ninth fret indicator up to the tenth fret.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Remarking fretboard

Except for the 9th fret marker, the location of guitar markers and mando family instruments is the same: 3, 5, 7, 12, 15. Most guitars have a marker at the 9th fret, while mandolin family instruments usually have one at the 10th fret.

You have two options. The first is to leave it alone. The second is to remove the 9th fret marker, fill the cavity, and install a new marker at the 10th fret.

Removing a dot and filling the cavity on an ebony board isn't too difficult. I should qualify that by saying "not too difficult for me," because I'm used to doing this kind of stuff.

1. First, you use an awl to start a hole in the center of the dot, then choose a drill bit that's a little smaller than the dot to drill it out. I use a smaller bit in case the drill wanders a little, so I don't mess up the hole. A brad point bit is easier to control. Anything that's left over will usually let go by applying a drop or two of alcohol, let it soak a bit, and then you can pick it out with an X-acto knife.
    2. To fill the cavity, I cut off a piece of an old violin peg that's about the right diameter [which is already slightly tapered so you can get a tight fit], shave the end down so it fits snugly, glue and clamp it, and grind it flush after the glue has cured.
    3. An easier technique is to fill the cavity with ebony dust mixed with epoxy. Some people use ebony dust and CA glue, but I have gotten better looking results with epoxy.

If it's a rosewood board, you could chuck a piece of rosewood into a drill press and turn it down into a dowel or use wood dust and glue [I would taper it slightly], but it's not possible to get a very accurate color and grain match. My first choice on rosewood would be not to mess with it and leave the 9th fret marker where it is.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-22-2022 at 7:38pm.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post: