Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on purchasing my next mandolin(s)

Default Re: Advice on purchasing my next mandolin(s)

There are a lot of great ideas here.

--
    rcc56, this sounds like a great mando. Thanks for the words of advice.

--
    Lucindalin, MAS!

--
    allenhopkins, that is a valid concern. And you're right - the Gallatin has served me well for a good five years, and I'm so grateful for it.

--
    Mandobar, I don't see the Smart, and the Girouard also seems to be missing. Guess they sold fast.

--
    Marcus CA, I think this makes a lot of sense. I can scrounge up about 5k right now, and have an active summer for jazz coming up, so maybe I buy the jazz mando first and play bluegrass on the Gallatin now...

--
    Steve, is there a sound hole in the top of one of those? That's a really cool idea that might help in self-audibility (is that a word?) in loud enviroments. Does that affect the sound in any other way?
    Last edited by Mandolinian; Jun-27-2022 at 10:23am. Reason: clarity
    Samuel Acus

2021 Duff Two-Point
    2004 Weber Gallatin F5
    2021 Gold Tone 5-String Electric
    1936 (?) Kalamazoo A5
    1940s Regal Guitar

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolinian for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucindalin View Post
    I have found that no matter how stellar your mandolins are, sometimes that thirst for another one just doesn’t go away! There are so many wonderful choices out there and not a bad addiction if you are going to have one.
    Oh yes. I have a theory that the addiction is mostly to that "new mandolin moment", that high you get when a mandolin you know you are going to love is finally yours. Oh the endorphins the first time you tune it up, strum that chord, play your wake me up tune. To think that once you own a mandolin you can never ever again feel that "new mandolin moment", never fall in love again.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

A man can't have enough mandolins ...
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    A man can't have enough mandolins ...
    Or a woman
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    You want two mandolins. Period. End of discussion.

Not gonna find one that has a "bluegrass" sound, and a sound like an old A-4.

You'll end up with an instrument that compromises both your goals, and satisfies neither.

And, keep the Gallatin.
    Yep. If you have to do them one at a time, decide if the Gallatin is better for bluegrass or jazz and pursue what you find lacking in the Gallatin. If it's better for bluegrass, find a good jazz mando or vice-versa.

I have caught and released so many mandolins in the past ten years and I have savored my MAS! These days, the thrill of just watching for what is out there and learning about different types of mandolins, their makers and who ends up with them gives me great satisfaction.
    A year and a half ago, I stumbled upon a 2003 Gallatin F5 and I jumped on the opportunity to buy it. It is such an amazing mandolin with a rich beautiful sound.
    So you see, I am biased!! My MAS is manageable but I still dream about a Nugget or an Ellis or a Clark JM-5 guitar bodied 5 string mandolin or….and on and on…

Or a Smart or a Kimble or a teens Gibson or a Heiden or a Gilchrist or a Lyon and Healy 2 point, or a Stradolin…
    Last edited by Lucindalin; Jun-27-2022 at 8:13pm. Reason: So many MAS dreams