Thread: Never Returned (Stolen) Brilliantone Mandocello

Default Never Returned (Stolen) Brilliantone Mandocello

Hello All,

My name is David Betts. Some of you may remember me in my role as Webmaster for the Classical Mandolin Society of America.

I need your collective help in trying to retrieve a mandocello I foolishly loaned out to a new member of the Munier Mandolin Orchestra a while ago. That is, someone most likely from Pennsylvania or New Jersey. I was in a distracted state the night this occurred and I do not have a clear recollection of who I loaned the instrument to. Mea Culpa.

In any event, this person vanished and never returned or returned the instrument to me.

Call me an idiot if you like, but I never thought someone would steal something like this and PLEASE be on the lookout for this instrument, if you would. A reward is available and I will not ask any questions.

DESCRIPTION: Brilliantone, 1930s? Rosewood sides and back, spruce top, ebony fingerboard? in a newer (Harptone) case. It has a distinctive tailpiece (see photos) below.

Thank you in advance,

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dola & cello.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	201678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	201679  

2. The following members say thank you to David Betts for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Never Returned (Stolen) Brilliantone Mandocello

David, I'm going to share this out on Facebook this evening and tag CMSA and maybe a few orchestras to see if they might be able to assist. I've already scheduled it. The information you've provided here and how you worded it should ensure it stays in Google's search results for the duration which is important in case the instrument is being sold. I'm betting this one can be solved.

Just a note, that is not an unusual tailpiece. They were used on a few different brands.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Is there a roster for the Munier Mandolin Orchestra? Perhaps you could discuss with the orchestra’s director/leader as to who may have taken it. Just a thought or perhaps you have done this already.
    Dan Scullin
    Louisville, KY

Not that this makes any difference but these Leland instruments were listed in my 1912 Lyon & Healy catalog so are older than 1930s. I don’t think they made them that late.

I am hoping someone just forgot it and threw it in a closet though it is a little strange. I don’t ever recall a Leland mandocello for sale anywhere. I wonder if it would help to send out a flyer or call around to music stores in the general area. Hopefully it will show up.

Here’s the only Leland Brilliantone mandocello that showed up in a quick search, sold sometime ago from a store in Evanston, IL. Looks like a different bridge and tailpiece. https://reverb.com/item/6776217-1920...ontent=6776217
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The tailpiece in David's photo is a replacement tailpiece by Gary Price. These were 1-piece cast, and modeled after banjo tailpieces. I had one on a mandolin for a while, but since the string ends sat on top of the tailpiece, they'd tear up the long sleeve of my shirt (or tear up my skin if I didn't wear long sleeves). I later opted for a newer Price tailpiece that had string hooks on the underside.

If there are few Leland Brilliantone mandocellos about, there are even fewer with first-generation Price mandolin tailpieces.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

That explains why I couldn't find the one I was looking for. I've seen that tailpiece for years and couldn't remember where I'd seen it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Admittedly it's late, I had an exciting gig tonight, a snack, some bourbon and I'm reeallly tired and running on empty...

but...I just gotta say,

I get the most warm and fuzzy glow seeing how great a community we have here. How our social media can bring people together and get things done in such a great positive way.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I mounted that tailpiece on the instrument about 20 years ago, but I had forgotten it was a Gary Price. And, distinctive in the sense that I suspect not too many mandocelli, let alone Brilliantones have one mounted. Thank you all for your positive words and general good vibe. I am really grateful.

David, any news? I hope you've been able to locate your instrument!
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

This reminds me of the handmade djembe we loaned to one of the actors in a play my wife wrote nine years ago ... which he never gave back. Now he's apparently left town with it.

I just realized the djembe is listed on my instrument insurance policy, but for only $200. I don't know if the agency would try to track down the dude (all I have is a photo and an email address) on a claim of that amount, or just cut me a check.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls