Thread: Celtic Mando vs Bandolim

Default Celtic Mando vs Bandolim

Hard to know where to post this…Anyway, would someone care to explain the difference between a genuine Celtic mandolin and a bandolim? They sure look similar to me.

Default Re: Celtic Mando vs Bandolim

A "celtic" mandolin is just a marketing term, so I don't think there is such a thing as a "genuine" celtic mandolin - as an instrument mandolin is a relative newcomer to trad music (20th century) and in the pre-internet world you could expect to see folks playing anything from a bowl back mandolin to a Kentucky with f-holes. Terminology wise it reminds me of how folks in the States will refer to 17 fret tenor banjos as "Irish tenor banjos", when in fact you come across way more 19 fret tenor banjos being played in Ireland.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

But what’s a bandolim then? Just a term?

The bandolim is a Portuguese variant of the mandolin family. Instruments are flat on top and back. Flatback mandolins use a thin sheet of wood with bracing for the back, as a guitar uses, rather than the bowl of the bowlback or the arched top and back of the carved mandolins. It is the style found in Brazil.
    Check out Mandolin Builders in Brazil for examples.

6. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    The bandolim is a Portuguese variant of the mandolin family. Instruments are flat on top and back. Flatback mandolins use a thin sheet of wood with bracing for the back, as a guitar uses, rather than the bowl of the bowlback or the arched top and back of the carved mandolins. It is the style found in Brazil.
    Check out Mandolin Builders in Brazil for examples.
    Yes there isn’t such a thing, specifically, as an Irish mandolin but these instruments sure do look like ‘Irish mandolins’. I’m wondering if these would sound good in a session? Is there a certain Irish mandolin tone?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5747653E-A13B-4480-9B3F-B186FC120FEB.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	194450

As Jill says, it is a marketing term and probably helps the sale of some instruments to those seeking out a particular tone or sound. I would say the Irish sound comes from the player and not from the instrument. Listen to the varieties of fiddle styles we Scots have in a geographically tiny country - Shetland, North-east, West Coast, Borders, etc. It is the players and the style (and the way the tunes are written) that create the particular sound. Accordionists too will have a distinctive sound even when using the same model of accordion.

There are some fine videos on YouTube of violinist Nicola Benedetti in conversation with fiddler Aly Bain discussing the playing of Scottish traditional fiddle tunes. Nicola makes the comment that they both use the same instrument in such different ways! Here is a link to one of the YT videos of the two if them in conversation.

https://youtu.be/DwyYoUPjRw4
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Choro bandolims are pretty much following the design of Jacob do Bandolim's two that he had made to his own spec, or so I've read somewhere.
    Looking at pre-Jacob images of bandolims, they don't look that different to what Jacob played. I presume his improvements were mainly to do with volume .

What generally seems to be described now by makers, buyers and sellers as a "Celtic" mandolin seems to follow styles of Fylde and Sobell that emerged in the 1970s.

But the first well-known mandolinists I recall seeing playing Irish or Scottish music were using standard American-style mandolins, resembling Gibsons, or the Martin of Rory Gallagher.

Everyone else was just using whatever they could get their hands on.

(Pretty much what Johnny Moynihan did with bouzouki, as far as I understand).
    Bren

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Actually, Stefan Sobell mandolins do look quite different from (for example) F5 mandolins, and do look a bit like bandolims, especially his large-bodied ten-string ones, so I think it's a fair question. But of course not all 'Celtic' mandolins look like this.

https://www.sobellguitars.com/large-...ied-mandolins/

This article written by Nigel Forster (who worked with Sobell for several years) may help.

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blog/celtic-mandolin/
    David A. Gordon

13. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    ...Is there a certain Irish mandolin tone?
    Most mandolin players doing Irish music that I've seen, seem to use oval-hole instruments, either flat/canted top or carved-top, rather than bowl-backs, f-hole carved-top mandos, resonator instruments, etc. Why this is, I don't know; maybe those types of instruments were more commonly available when Celtic musicians took up mandolin -- a relatively recent addition to the genre, like the guitar and the bouzouki. Clearly, you can play Celtic/Irish music on any style of mandolin; however, when I was in a Celtic band ±40 years ago, I put aside my Gibson F-5 and acquired an F-2, because I thought it sounded more "appropriate."

I'd also point out the prevalence of larger mandolin-family instruments in current Celtic music: octave mandolins, mandolas, "Irish bouzoukis" which are basically octave mandolins by another name, citterns etc. The tenor banjo tuned GDAE like an octave mandolin is also very common, the so-called "Irish tenor banjo" (see Jill's Post #2 above). Converting a tenor banjo to "Irish" is mostly a question of restringing and retuning.

When I go to an Irish session I usually take along either a Martin Style A or a Gibson A/N Custom "pancake," both oval-hole instruments. I've been known to sneak in an f-hole Strad-O-Lin, though. And I always have a mandola and/or an octave mandolin.

Plus a concertina -- but that's another story...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

One made in Ireland? Look @ the builder's data base , for names & contact info..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Actually, Stefan Sobell mandolins do look quite different from (for example) F5 mandolins, and do look a bit like bandolims, especially his large-bodied ten-string ones, so I think it's a fair question.
    The so-called "Celtic" mandolins I have seen are usually much heavier built and strung than the bandolims I have played. yes the body shape is similar but the construction varies.

I've played a Sobell (a long time ago) and while it was a lovely instrument, I remember it as being relatively heavy. My bandolims are pretty lightweight compared with the Sobell. Don't know if that makes much difference, but while I don't actually subscribe to a specific "celtic" mandolin requirement, I do know that bandolims are a thing, like a quattro is a thing or an oud is a thing.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

18. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I've played a Sobell (a long time ago) and while it was a lovely instrument, I remember it as being relatively heavy. My bandolims are pretty lightweight compared with the Sobell. .
    You remember correctly - like I said, the Brazilian bandolim is usually of a lighter build design.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Is there a certain Irish mandolin tone?
    Depends on the context, I think.

If you're mostly playing alone at home, then your tonal preference for Irish/Scottish trad might lean towards plenty of harmonics and a "sweet" tone (whatever that means), a quality often associated with oval-hole instruments and flattops.

On the other hand, if you're playing in a robust Irish pub session with a flock of fiddlers, fluters, concertina players and maybe even a piper or two, you might prefer (as I do) an F-hole archtop instrument with a strong and clear fundamental tone with fewer harmonics; a tone that isn't as easily buried in the mix.

Of course, volume shouldn't be the only requirement for session playing. A mandolin used in trad sessions should still sound good played solo. Chasing volume leads down the Devil's path to resonator mandolins, and eventually (gasp) the tenor banjo.

21. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    The so-called "Celtic" mandolins I have seen are usually much heavier built and strung than the bandolims I have played. yes the body shape is similar but the construction varies.
    Also in general the bandolims use very light strings. I am not sure if there is a preference for medium gauge strings for Celtic music. Also more and more these days the top tier bandolim players are opting for 10 string instruments. Not all but many of them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

They're the same Mandolin & that's because they have a larger & deeper body than Standard Mandolins.

- - - Updated - - -

They're almost the same instrument because of the deeper body.