Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me about Wernick Method Jam Camp

Default Re: Tell me about Wernick Method Jam Camp

I felt encouraged and supported to stretch and take risks the whole time.
    Doesn't get better than that, Sue, I'm really happy it was such a positive experience.
    Last edited by bbcee; Sep-12-2022 at 6:32am.

2. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Sue, great report and glad you and Dan had such a good time and great positive experience playing music with others. Sue, how did your recorder work out for you?
    I haven't listened to the recordings yet. I should have made more of them, but it got into a lot of things to think about and juggle at once.

Before I ever played a single note, I lost my tuner. It just disappeared in less than 100 feet from my cabin to the meeting place. This really knocked me back as my nerve level was already high, until someone mentioned using your phone. I did already have a mandolin tuner ap installed, so I put it behind me and moved forward.

At the very last full group meeting, someone had lost a capo, and one of the leaders asked if anyone had seen a capo. I called out "or a tuner!" and the guy sitting right behind me said, "I just found one in the grass, it's over there on the bleachers."

Ha. I was watching for that thing all weekend. I think it went through a wormhole, then the universe spat it back out on Sunday.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Im glad you found your tuner. I’d be lost without mine.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Best musical experience ever. I met Dan and Valerie and saw several other mando cases with Cafe stickers on them.

The people were extremely welcoming and considerate of novice musicians. I felt encouraged and supported to stretch and take risks the whole time. The very first breakout session, I lead a song (Amazing Grace). There were a group of people that took me under their wing, and I made some new musical friendships that I think are going to be lasting.

My SOL received admiration and I listened to someone much better play it, and it sure sounded good.

The camp was Wernick method on Friday, and Wernick combined with Fiddleheads Acoustic Jam Camp (25th year) the rest of the weekend. So D,C,G,A were not enough chords after the first day . This caused me consternation at the first slow jam, that plus the fact that I am not there at recognizing what chords the guitar players are making was my big challenge. But I just focused on doing what I could, and getting out of my comfort zone whenever I could, and it was fine.

The workshops on Saturday and Sunday were a mixture of Wernick method and other topics. I ended up picking and choosing. One experienced musician encouraged me to take a workshop on moveable chords that was labeled "intermediate". Ignore the label, said he, that's information you need to have. He was right, it was a great introduction! I also went to a session on soloing on pentatonic scales, and I did it! Super simple and basic, but I didn't pass. Saturday afternoon everyone grouped into bands and Dan and I were together playing the blues (Howling Wolf - "Built for Comfort"). The coach was awesome about arranging something us novices could do, and I had my first experience standing up on stage. (When you mess up, just don't make the face )

Today I went to a class on harmony singing and it was so fun. Toward the end they asked for volunteers to stand up and do the three parts, and I went up and sang the lead part. Now I want to learn more about this.

I sort of wish I signed up for the open mic and played one of the tunes from last winter's Matt Flinner Old Time 101. It would have been cool.

I stayed in a cabin and slept (if you can call it that) on a bed shaped object. That was not so awesome. Everything else was great!

Dan, I saw at least one other Tone-Gard.
    I was lucky enough to also attend the Fiddleheads Jam Camp this past weekend.

I echo everything Sue said about the experience. Simply excellent by every measure.

The ad-hoc band concert was tons of fun. I was in the bluegrass band coached by Tony Trishka that performed “I’ll Fly Away.”

The late night jams around the camp were worth the price of admission alone. I called it quits at about 1:30am, but plenty of others kept on going.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

6. The following members say thank you to Mando Esq for this post:

That "I'll Fly Away" sounded awesome. The singing sounded amazing. I love that song.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I'm glad you enjoyed camp, Sue, and found it such a valuable experience. Thanks for giving us a repot.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

9. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post: