Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslow?

Default Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslow?

I have a Frederick Winslow mandolin, number 28 made in 1929 and signed by the maker. Frederick had an ensemble called Fred Winslow’s Serenader’s Mandolin Orchestra. He made all the instruments for the ensemble. I know this because I found a reference in the English Radio Times of May 1935 when the ensemble was giving a recital on one of the regional programmes. The programme’s notes stated that it was unusual for one maker to have made all the instruments in the orchestra. I would be grateful if anyone has any further info on Mr Winslow and/or his ensemble please. The instrument is no use to me and I am keen to find it a new home. Thank you.

Default Re: Has anybody heard of an English maker called Frederick Winslo

Frederick Winslow was a mandoline player and teacher who lived in Swindon, south of England near London. Before forming the Serenaders Mandolin Orchestra he led a mandolin 'quartette' that promoted J E Dallas (London mandolin and banjo maker) flat back mandolins, mandolas and mando-cellos. He seems to have started on mandolin making by adapting existing mandolins to his new stringing/ tuning system, for which he was granted a US patent in 1927. Later on he made a few curved-back, canted top mandolines using his compensated stringing system.
    His instruments are high quality, in the J E Dallas tradition with a few refinements, notably the stepped MoP bridge tops and nuts, which were strung overlapping rather than parallel both behind the bridge and above the nut. I don't know anyone who has tested his claims about the tuning advantages of this system but I do know it is a PiA in practical terms. I have a couple and the prospect of breaking a string is terrifying. You can see photos I supplied to Graham McDonald in his book 'The Mandolin: a History'.
    Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anglocelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Frederick Winslow was a mandoline player and teacher who lived in Swindon, south of England near London. Before forming the Serenaders Mandolin Orchestra he led a mandolin 'quartette' that promoted J E Dallas (London mandolin and banjo maker) flat back mandolins, mandolas and mando-cellos. He seems to have started on mandolin making by adapting existing mandolins to his new stringing/ tuning system, for which he was granted a US patent in 1927. Later on he made a few curved-back, canted top mandolines using his compensated stringing system.
    His instruments are high quality, in the J E Dallas tradition with a few refinements, notably the stepped MoP bridge tops and nuts, which were strung overlapping rather than parallel both behind the bridge and above the nut. I don't know anyone who has tested his claims about the tuning advantages of this system but I do know it is a PiA in practical terms. I have a couple and the prospect of breaking a string is terrifying. You can see photos I supplied to Graham McDonald in his book 'The Mandolin: a History'.
    Kevin
    Sincere thanks, very informative and interesting, greatly appreciated. I will definitely follow-up and look at the photographs. I was given it many years ago by a friend because I am a musician (fiddle). I have never played it. Generally it is in good condition but there is a small mark on one side and a very fine hairline down the centre of the top. Very shortly I will be moving (downsizing) and I need to shed some instruments. Do you have any idea what it would fetch please?
    Thanks again.

Here is an article about Frederick Winslow from a Swindon newspaper- he is described as a polymath. Swindon is half way between Bristol and London and it is for that reason that I K Brunel the famous engineer tasked with building the Great Western Railway in the 1830s decided to place his engine workshop there at the half way point- it being quite small before the new works was built in the early 1840s and workers from all over Britain began to go there for employment. Over time this became the largest railway factory in the world but was closed in the 1980s.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...eek-music-box/

Here is a link to a discussion over the years here on his instruments:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ndolin-quartet

6. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Here is an article about Frederick Winslow from a Swindon newspaper- he is described as a polymath. Swindon is half way between Bristol and London and it is for that reason that I K Brunel the famous engineer tasked with building the Great Western Railway in the 1830s decided to place his engine workshop there at the half way point- it being quite small before the new works was built in the early 1840s and workers from all over Britain began to go there for employment. Over time this became the largest railway factory in the world but was closed in the 1980s.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...eek-music-box/

Here is a link to a discussion over the years here on his instruments:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ndolin-quartet
    Thank you Nick, he was obviously a man of many talents. I was given the mandolin many years ago by a friend who lives near Winchester. He inherited it from his parents who lived in Cirencester. It is stored with me here in York Western Australia.

Hi Charliefarley, any chance of some pics. Sounds like an interesting instrument. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    Hi Charliefarley, any chance of some pics. Sounds like an interesting instrument. Cheers.
    Hi David, I’d be very happy to send some pictures but this is the first time I have used this site and I am not sure how to attach them! I tried “Manage Attachments” but I didn’t have any luck. Can you please advise how to add pics to my reply? … or I could send them via a text message. Cheers.

Click on the icon third from the extreme right "insert image."

You asked earlier over the value of the mandolin. The J E Dallas mandolins do not command great sums- nor do other British mandolins and then there is the condition but in truth, many great instruments are not worth that much. This mandolin which is good quality has been for sale for simply ages. It has American hardware but that was not uncommon for Clifford Essex. The mandolin could have been made by the firm or it could have been made in central Europe and completed in London.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165496868...cAAOSwcWBg2Pr2

[VIMEO][/VIMEO]
    Click on the icon third from the extreme right "insert image."

You asked earlier over the value of the mandolin. The J E Dallas mandolins do not command great sums- nor do other British mandolins and then there is the condition but in truth, many great instruments are not worth that much. This mandolin which is good quality has been for sale for simply ages. It has American hardware but that was not uncommon for Clifford Essex. The mandolin could have been made by the firm or it could have been made in central Europe and completed in London.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165496868...cAAOSwcWBg2Pr2
    Thanks Nick, The picture on e-bay looks to be a good quality instrument. I asked about value only out of interest, I’m not concerned about trying to obtain a high price for it, I would rather it found a good home. Not wanting to appear technically illiterate but I couldn’t locate the “insert image” icon - which page is it on - this the “reply with quote” page or another?

On the top of the posting box there are the icons and insert image is above
    the last word in line one of this post before I post it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6FE3B5A1-567A-40D1-A8FE-3D17A4BECC92.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	201351

Name:	7AFB45EE-9D65-412B-8D52-AE8BA426D400.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	487.6 KB 
ID:	201352

That's great- it really looks quite unique- a very modernistic looking feel for the time which I assume was the 1920s or 30s. Do you have the old tuners?

That's great- it really looks quite unique- a very modernistic looking feel for the time which I assume was the 1920s or 30s. Do you have the old tuners?
    The OP said dated ‘29, and the maker was becoming innovative right about then. Agree that the ‘modernistic looking feel’ is distinctive, and interesting. It may just be my perception, but the British take on Deco and Machine Age design looks just a little different than elsewhere. That tailpiece really is a departure! The arm rest also distinctive. Sort of a preview of what would happen decades later when electric guitar design opened up to a new esthetic.

Thanks for the photos. It is nearly identical to one I have, the one pictured in Graham McDonald's mandolin history book. It has been restored with modern Schaller tuners. Has any other restoration work been done? It is quite a rarity; only a few were made and they don't turn up often in the UK. They don't fetch much money, despite their rarity, as everyone assumes vintage American instruments are superior (and they usually are). Only Americans seem to pay high prices for old non-carved mandolins, such as the Larson Brothers creations.

Are you UK based? Take care if you plan to export it as you will probably find the tortoiseshell and mother of pearl are the real deal rather than plastic substitutes of the kind Gibson used, so CITES rules may kick in.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

The mandolin is just as I was given it. The information inside states that it is number 28 made in 1929. The label is signed Frederick Winslow in red ink.

I am based in York , Western Australia, about 60 miles east of Perth. To my knowledge no restoration work has been done. The pick guard was loose when it was given to me and I had to insert two small screws through a metal bracket into the side of the fretboard to secure it. I have always kept it in the case which appears to be original - the key for the case is there too. Unfortunately there is a very fine hairline crack down the centre of the soundboard and a short mark on one side - that is how I received it. I am most grateful to members of the forum who have provided so much interesting background information. We are in the process of relocating to Perth and because we are downsizing I need to divest myself of some instruments and I earmarked the mandolin as one them. I registered with the forum with the hope that I would be able to obtain more information about the instrument and my wish has been granted in spades.

The label states that is is number 28 made in 1929. It is signed in red ink “Frederick Winslow”. I haven’t got the original tuners - the pictures shows it just as I received it.

The case may be interesting, too. Post some photos of it- the outside and inside.

Name:	87540B1A-AFEF-4A91-9CE3-5F242E6E24CA.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	201362Click image for larger version. 

ID:	201362Click image for larger version. 

ID:	201362

QClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D36C8CBC-9A5F-4D96-B468-595581CD91D1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1,021.0 KB 
ID:	201363

Name:	FE3EC846-EB09-4FD5-A806-2C2002471BE9.jpg 
Size:	798.6 KB 
ID:	201364

The label to which the key is attached reads “All Metal Fittings on the NEW RELIANCE CASES are RUSTLESS”

Yes, it is a Reliance case all right. Reliance- George Houghton & Sons of the Reliance Works in Birmingham was a huge instrument case maker- and also made instruments- sold as Reliance or GH & S but often under third party names -dealers like Boosey & Hawkes for example. In about 1935, the company adopted the "lion couchant" as its motif- like the lions at Trafalgar Square and the label with the lion appeared in the cases- and was also embossed on any decoration on the outside. The labels normally disappear but yours possibly predates the label although the outer covering is not the usual style and may be a bit more up-market. That Clifford Essex mandolin I posted had a different variant of the case.

Name:	Reliance Label.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	201367

I thought that the mandolin in question would be a nice add on to my humble mandolin collection, so have hit the button and now the Winslow mandolin in on it's way to me.