Thread: Simple cedar wood tone guard

Default Simple cedar wood tone guard

Works great.
    Beats paying $80.
    Shown here on my octave mandolin.
    DennisHavlena.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B2AAD33-AE65-4C58-9B03-474798706D03.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	201781  

2. The following members say thank you to dhavlena for this post:

Default Re: Simple cedar wood tone guard

can you still use a strap?

And, for some people, allergic contact dermatitis from (especially) red cedars! But a nice solution, and lightweight. Some folks are leery about adhesives affecting finishes or want to remove the apparatus to use a case, which involves multiple removals, so the next enhancement might be tapeless.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbllc View Post
    can you still use a strap?
    Hi I don’t use straps but this should work if you put some kind of spacer between strap button& wood, along with maybe a bit longer screw.

Thanks. Being allergic to lots of things myself, I hear you…I painted the guard and have had no trouble.
    Playing around with a “side grabber”, somewhat springy 1/4” wide band, bent in “U” shape(90 degree corners), epoxied to guard near heel end. Springy, to grip sdes of instrument, somewhat like commercial guard gripping method. Grippy part of the band covered with heat shring tubing to protect side wood. Still expermenting.
    You’re right too about adhesives…generally last resort stuff. Altho I started out in music, ages ago, with fairly high end stuff, constant worrying about hot cars, thieves, etc (I travelled a lot) caused me to mainly play less fancy instruments….the kind I wouldn’t feel bad about glueing things n. Best wishes

Be careful, you could re-invent the Tonegard!

Nice job, but risk of splinters if you play shirtless....

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Nice job, but risk of splinters if you play shirtless.

Cool project Dennis!

10. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

For attachment points, may I recommend using small magnets? Unless you have a solid brass tailpiece, one would easily adhere to tailpiece or bottom strap button. If you have a heel strap button, one would work there as well. Thus, easy to take off and on and no issues with the case. I’m a big fan of magnets and there are some really powerful small ones available (check out the ones used in your power toothbrush heads). Will have to experiment and get back to y’all on this one. I’m interested in trying a tone guard, but not overly fond of the two current configurations. Sorry that the custom ones are no longer available. The price for the current models seems reasonable to me, but I do like your do-it-yourself model, Dennis. (PS: I’m a haploid Denis myself, 1n) <- a biology joke for the uninitiated.