Thread: For those who love changing strings

Default For those who love changing strings

Default Re: For those who love changing strings

Not the highest workmanship if I can tell from the photos. Also hard to tell but it looks like purfling might be painted on or even drawn with a Sharpie. Then again, kind of cool in an insane way.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Less than half an hour to go and not up to the cost of just the tuners. Obviously posted by the builder, who’s too modest to put his or her name on this mutliply-innovative creature.. Wouldn’t call the craftsmanship very primitive, but it does appear to have a double top at least around the ‘f’ holes. Description shows familiarity with the known elements of lutherie so I’m reminded of the famous Musical Joke - something one might do when cynical about one’s audience.
    Personally, FWIW, I think it’s amazingly clumsy in overall design, and likely to miss the mark on the sympathetic strings for lack of resonator volume, but a high mark for novelty.

There have been precursors to this design primarily Chris Knutsen: https://www.harpguitars.net/knutsen/mandolins.htm. A d also the Larson Brothers Dyer harp in struments.

Many of these did not have the harp strings but there are a few examples that did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5691103A-6A46-4A4B-AD68-AF24D49B61E6.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	201794
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here’s the eBay one:

Name:	8BD0F561-CAE6-4C1B-8FC8-75769649BBC1.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	201795

lt does look like it has a double top.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jun-30-2022 at 9:31pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I have an earlier eBay harp mandolin by the same builder. It's sort of the MidMo/Big Muddy of harp mandolins: good quality build with an emphasis on simplicity. The tone is all right although I haven't worked with it enough to figure out what to do with the bass strings. I put in a snipe bid on this latest one but I guess it wasn't high enough.

There might be one or two ballo liscio pieces in my mandolin/guitar duo's repertoire that could use a little embellishment from the harp side of the instrument.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    There have been precursors to this design primarily Chris Knutsen: https://www.harpguitars.net/knutsen/mandolins.htm. A d also the Larson Brothers Dyer harp in struments.

Many of these did not have the harp strings but there are a few examples that did.

Name:	5691103A-6A46-4A4B-AD68-AF24D49B61E6.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	201794
    I remember seeing 2 of the Gibson variety of this type of harp guitar hanging on the wall of Eldon Stutzman’s basement in the early 70’s. Monstrosities.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I remember seeing 2 of the Gibson variety of this type of harp guitar hanging on the wall of Eldon Stutzman’s basement in the early 70’s. Monstrosities.
    One of them's still there, displayed over the fireplace in Eldon's son Dave's showroom. Run through the opening website slide show and you'll see it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I owned a modern harp mandolin made by British luthier Stephen Sedgwick that was just a blast to play (even if - or maybe because - I was never quite sure what to do with it!). I've lost contact with the fellow I sold it to ... would love to know where it's residing these days.

-Chris

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	201956 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0035.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	201957