Thread: Furch A4 Mandolin

Default Furch A4 Mandolin

Just purchased a 2006 Furch mandolin (extremely good condition and well set up). Plays like a dream, very happy with it. Archtop which I’m pretty sure is carved rather than pressed. So - does anyone know anything about Furch (apart from the fact they are/were Czech),

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Furch A4 Mandolin

They are indeed a Czech company, and have been in business since 1981. They are still in operation.

About 12 or 15 years ago, an effort was made to establish US dealers for Stonebridge guitars, which were made by Furch.
    At that time, a now defunct local store picked up the line, and I got a good look at them. They were well made instruments, of more or less the same quality as mid-line instruments made by several US companies. I only played one mandolin, and don't remember any details about the instrument, but it was well put together and sounded fine.

They didn't take off here. I think the reason was that their prices were not much lower than that of similar US made instruments, and buyers preferred to come up with an extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars and buy an American instrument instead.

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Furch A4 Mandolin

I've played quite a few of hteir mandolins back in late 90's early 2000's in their showroom in Czech republic and I think most if not all the models were pressed tops, there was no mention on label but lack of recurve and perfectly uniform thicknesses point to that direction - check yours. They played nice. and especially A models were moderately priced. You can email them and ask about construction of your model.
    I saw one A5, few years earlier, that was likely carved but it was VERY early one, possibly custom or even prototype.
    Adrian