Thread: Jethro Burns Warmup Thing Question

Question Jethro Burns Warmup Thing Question

Hello,
    Found this on the Mandozine site. Have no experience whatsoever in position playing and would appreciate any suggestions as to how to interpret the highlighted notations.

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration. Fare well, h

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JethroWarmupThing.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	201841

2. The following members say thank you to hdismal for this post:

M19 

Default Re: Jethro Burns Warmup Thing Question

Hi there, H, not sure what those numbers mean, they're certainly not fingerings. Here's how I play it based on the notation in his Mel Bay book.

2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

Misplaced repeats?
    -You play the whole thing through to the double bar line. That’s 8 measures.
    Start at beginning again, now the whole thing through but replace the 8th measure with the ninth measure to get the end part.

It’s unfortunate that the harmony is missing -the chords for each measure. This will help you understand the grouping of the notes, why the first and last notes in each measure are important etc.

Then you can break out and change chord progressions using the arpeggios in a modular way. And work out the location of the harmonic roots for each shifting position.
    -There’s a lot to think about while doing these exercises and without guidance it can boring and wasteful in time.
    The exact fingering helps to work out slides.

* Just seen your vid, Jordan really nice many thanks!
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jul-02-2022 at 12:50am.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Misplaced repeats?
    I bet that's it.
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

Looks like Simon is right - the only numbers above my 1976 edition are 1 and 2 for repeats.
    In the simple tab format of old Cafe posts, characters did move around sometimes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warmup jethro.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	201849
    Bren

There are a few misprints/mismatches between notation and tab in the original Jethro book.
    You'll note in bar5 that my copy tabs the F# as A-string 7th fret , whereas the MC tab correctly has it at 9th fret
    Bren

Magnus Z. has a video on this very thing:

(the YT thing doesn’t seem to be working for me to put the video in so heres the link)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxINrnFE3M
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query. It is difficult at best (and no doubt foolhardy) to try to teach yourself both mandolin AND theory (no $$ for teachers). Your kind auspices have no doubt spared me considerable confusion and aggravation, as well as instilling a healthy skepticism with regard to the perceived accuracy of tab found via the internet. Your guidance is held in high regard. Fare well, h

It's difficult but not foolhardy!

I, and I'm sure many others here, are self-taught, starting from zero knowledge of theory, and from a time when all we had were books, or sometimes magazines like Frets that had one mandolin article with tab once a month if you were lucky.
    Bren

Thanks for the reminder, Bren.
    1970’s. Yes, and sometimes the article talked about a jig and you really wanted a reel, so it was a 2 month wait!
    And no .abc players to give you a clear idea of the rhythm (what is a waltz?)

And the TAB was written by classical pianists who wrote it out as guitar TAB while forgetting that the rocker used dropped D and a capo!
    And, and... you have a friend who wants to rent you a creased, smudged two foot piece of xerox copy that's covered in pink solvent that is now all over your hands and you can still smell the stuff the day afterwards. And the title on the paper says Led Zeppelin but the TAB is like nothing you’ve heard before.
    And you’re holding a pencil and a scrap piece of paper that you’ve been saving for weeks. But there’s a librarian who says she’ll call the police if you copy anything out of the guitar magasine (reference only), she’s been watching you for five minutes.

Here’s some of the chords, some aren’t exactly right but check measures 7 and 8 to get an idea of descending arpeggios of each chord. (Basically VII,V,III, I notes of each chord going down the neck -try adding the C, and Bm/Am shapes as practice while noting Am, Bm and Em have same shape).
    Of course, written like this you miss the exact fret positions but can see notation relationships.
    Enjoy!

X:1
    T:Jethro Burns Warmup Thing
    L:1/8
    M:4/4
    K:G
    G2G2|:"G"G,B, DG Bd gb|"D"fa gd "G"BG DB,|"Am"A,C EA ce ac'|"C"ba ^gb "Am" ae cA|
    "D"DF Ad fa d'^c'|"Am"e'd' ^c'd' "D"f'd' e'f'|"G"g'd' bg "Fdim"e'c' af|1"Em"d'b ge "D"c'a fd:|2"G"gd "D"^cd "G"G4|
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jul-03-2022 at 3:20pm.

Quote Originally Posted by hdismal View Post
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query. It is difficult at best (and no doubt foolhardy) to try to teach yourself both mandolin AND theory (no $$ for teachers). Your kind auspices have no doubt spared me considerable confusion and aggravation, as well as instilling a healthy skepticism with regard to the perceived accuracy of tab found via the internet. Your guidance is held in high regard. Fare well, h

Here’s a site for Jethro fans. Scroll down to Jm Nikora - disc 1 and you can listen to Jethro explain the warmup think himself.

https://robcoleman.com/jethro/
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Really appreciate you guys sharing your Jethro Burns. Many Thanks.

I’ve written the exercise in what I’m hoping is G minor -still not 100% on the chords but they sound scary enough!
    To be played with feeling.

X:1
    T:Jethro Burns Warmup (and Cool Down) Thing
    L:1/8
    M:4/4
    N:Additional changes SimonDS
    K:G
    G2G2|:"G"G,B, DG Bd gb|"D"fa gd "G"BG DB,|"Am"A,C EA ce ac'|"C"ba ^gb "Am" ae cA|
    "D"DF Ad fa d'^c'|"Am"e'd' ^c'd' "D"f'd' e'f'|"G"g'd' bg "Fdim"e'c' af|1"Em"d'b ge "D"c'a fd:|2"G"gd "D"^cd "G"G4|
    T:The Cool Down...
    [K:Gm]
    |:"Gm"G,B, DG Bd gb|"D"fa gd "G"BG DB,|"Amb5"A,C EA ce ac'|"Cm"ba ^gb "Amb5" ae cA|
    "D"DF Ad fa d'^c'|"Amb5"e'd' ^c'd' "D"f'd' e'f'|"Gm"g'd' bg "F#dim"e'c' af|1"Emb5"d'b ge "D"c'a fd:|2"Gm"gd "D"^cd "Gm"G4|