Thread: Mandolin is always a good way to end a video.

Default Mandolin is always a good way to end a video.

I do not know how many of you follow Leland Sklar's Youtube channel but he is a delightful person and a fantastic musician. One of the most prominent LA studio bassists, he has played on groundbreaking recordings from Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt and about anyone else you can name and hundreds none of us have heard of.

Anyway, he has been on tour with Lyle Lovett's Large Band. He has been posting video tours of the venues they are playing at. In this one, after wandering through the lovely gardens of the Red Butte Amphitheatre in Salt Lake City he ended up at the stage during sound check. As he finished the video they were sound checking the mandolin and he made the comment "Mandolin is always a good way to end a video." It seemed like words of wisdom.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin is always a good way to end a video.

Thanks. It cuts off a bit abruptly. I'm sure he was about to say, "It's a heckuva great way to kick off a video, too." And, "Mandolin can really sweeten the middle, also. In fact, anywhere you add mandolin to the mix it makes everything way better." Yeah, too bad that was cut out.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

3. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

CarlM 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I understand it to be meant more like the famous "paddle faster ..." sticker.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I understand it to be meant more like the famous "paddle faster ..." sticker.
    He has been pretty complimentary to the mandolin player in at least one of his past videos. His videos and worldview are pretty positive, not putting down other people or their music. He has recorded a lot in Nashville with country musicians like Dolly, Vince Gill, Merle Haggard, Patty Loveless and others not to mention being proud of having played quite a bit with Herb Petersen and Byron Berline, as well as on Clarence White's unfinished album that Clarence was working on when he died, so he definitely does not put down country or bluegrass music as a genre.
    Last edited by CarlM; Jul-04-2022 at 2:16pm.

6. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Leland Sklar is one of the most positive, uplifting people in the music business.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

He is one cool dude.

Sorry about the photo orientation. Not sure how to orient it correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02793.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	201874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02793.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	667.4 KB 
ID:	201875  

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Works fine as a graphic display.

I have had some success - not 100%, but close - by doing the following. Go back to your file and open it with your photo program - Photos, Photo Viewer, or some such. Using the Edit function, rotate it until it is straight up and save. If it already is, do so anyway - four 90° turns - and save. Upload this adjusted file.

If this doesn't fix it (I did say it's not perfect), look through the Forum Software Support Forum for a solution. This has come up before. As well as fixing your avatar - unless that's how you want it. It does go well with Lee's pics' horizontal orientation.

PS: This does mean you'll have to delete the pics you've already uploaded. That will involve going though the Advanced functions.

Aren't you glad you asked?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Ah the magic of the internet. Leland has only 'been on my radar' lately and I've probably listened to his recordings since the beginning in 1971. He is a wonderful guy and I'm so glad folks are getting hip to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    I do not know how many of you follow Leland Sklar's Youtube channel but he is a delightful person and a fantastic musician.
    Anyway, he has been on tour with Lyle Lovett's Large Band. He has been posting video tours of the venues they are playing at. In this one, after wandering through the lovely gardens of the Red Butte Amphitheatre in Salt Lake City he ended up at the stage during sound check. As he finished the video they were sound checking the mandolin and he made the comment "Mandolin is always a good way to end a video." It seemed like words of wisdom.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Works fine as a graphic display.

I have had some success - not 100%, but close - by doing the following. Go back to your file and open it with your photo program - Photos, Photo Viewer, or some such. Using the Edit function, rotate it until it is straight up and save. If it already is, do so anyway - four 90° turns - and save. Upload this adjusted file.

If this doesn't fix it (I did say it's not perfect), look through the Forum Software Support Forum for a solution. This has come up before. As well as fixing your avatar - unless that's how you want it. It does go well with Lee's pics' horizontal orientation.

PS: This does mean you'll have to delete the pics you've already uploaded. That will involve going though the Advanced functions.

Aren't you glad you asked?
    Thanks for the tip, Journeybear. I searched the Forum Software Support, and there was a solution but the administrator had to intervene in order to rotate the photo. I'd hate to bother the administrator, so I'll just let it be. Much appreciated anyway!