Thread: Fishman Performer / Pro35 Mic Issues

Default Fishman Performer / Pro35 Mic Issues

Hello All,

I am new to the mandolin and the forum. Had a rookie question for you all - I recently purchased a used Fishman Performer amp and AT Pro 35 mic. After powering on the amp, I tried plugging directly into both channels with my cheap Gretsch New Yorker mando (w/piezo pickup and has built in jack) via cable. Neither channel produced audible sound. Then, I tried plugging in the AT Pro35 to see if I could get audible sound out of that with the Phantom Power button on and it doesn't produce any sound even when I tap it with my hand. When I tap the mic, it does result in a red light turning on simultaneously. Is there something I’m doing wrong to produce sound? I didn't think I needed a preamp but could that be the issue. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Default Re: Fishman Performer / Pro35 Mic Issues

I just got one of these amps used last week. I have played through most acoustic amps, thought id try this one.

Few things to try. Plug the mandolin into another source to see if you get sound. Your trying too eliminate what is dead in the chain. If the mando make sound elsewhere plugged in, then you know its not that or the cable. On the amp itself there are a few things that most of us are familiar with but if you new to plugging in instruments you might miss. You would plug in the mando, if the mando had a volume control or battery, make sure the Volume is up and battery is good. With the main volume of the amp turned down, and making sure the channel mute button is not on(it mutes whatever channel your plugged into between sets) begin strumming the mandolin, and as you do slowly increase the gain knob(the one closest to the input). Keep raising it slightly until the little red light starts to blink, if it does, back off a tad. If your not getting a signal, there is a button next to the input that sets the input gain a tad. Make sure its in the out position allowing all to go through, not padded. If you are getting a signal, Turn the main volume up a tad, and you should hear the mando. Even if the red light doesnt blink when you strum, it should make some sound.

If not sound and yo know the mando and cable are good, plug something into the auxiliary input. Like a phone, and see if you get volume out of the speakers. That requires you turn thr master up a tad and turn the auxiliary volume up and make sure what ever is plugged in has its volume up.

I know that seems like a lot, but it should get you sound. As far as the mike, if it takes phantom power, turn it on before plugging in the mike and follow the same procedure. I hope this works for you.

You should not need a preamp for the mando as it has one built in. I have plugged pickups into mine that have no preamp and they sound fine. I am uncertain of the mike as i dont usually mike things.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

If you are using phantom power, plug the mic in BEFORE turning on the phantom power. Depending on how rugged the phantom circuit is you can blow it by plugging into it with it on. If you choose to plug it in with it on, at least turn down the main volume so it doesn't pop in the speaker. You might also try cleaning the input jack with a q-tip and alcohol. The ground is not a great contact and the signal isn't that high from the mandolin. If it was sitting around it can oxidize and not make contact.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out. I managed to get things working based on your advice. My only question now is regarding how to limit the feedback I’m getting when using the Pro 35 mic / DPA mount. It seems to be picking up a ton of feedback when I’m sitting in front of the amp (mando pointed at amp). Is there a different setup I should try to avoid the feedback? Thank you again!

I use a pro35 and the feedback you are experiencing is normal. You simply can’t stand in front of a speaker with a microphone plugged into it. Stand off to the side, facing away and you won’t get feedback unless you’re playing really loud. That’s the downside of using a mic. There are some things you can do that would help a little but you won’t totally eliminate it
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass