Thread: G & S Octofone Case

Default G & S Octofone Case

These are very hard to find and this one is in okay condition. I rub the Sugru mouldable glue into gashes and areas where the covering has become thin. The black glue may not be the same black as the covering but I am happy with the result.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16553889615...EAAOSwMV9irkHM

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Default Re: G & S Octofone Case

I like to follow with a couple coats of liquid black shoe polish to make everything the same color. The shoe polish soon loses its shine -- like it does on your shoes.

Well, it has been sold- I wonder if one of the members here bought it?

Maybe
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I'm baffled it sold. Who could have needed an Octofone case? And who ever heard of Gilbert and Sullivan cases?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Teacher, repair person

Well, I was tempted, but . . . I'm on a budget right now.
    This is a real example of "find another one." It's the only one I've ever encountered.

Mine does have an original canvas covered stiff cardboard [?] "bottom dumper" case, which is functional, and I couldn't say when the last time was that I carried the instrument out of the house, although I might play a couple of numbers on it at an upcoming concert.

Some day I might get ambitious, and cobble something together that's a bit sturdier out of spare lumber, foam, and whatever fabric I can get my hands on.

Anyway, I think the new owner will be happy with it.

I'm sure she will be.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Yes, I can recall someone wrote this:

Check out the case with this one

I want the case.

I think that's a bit of a "smoking gun"! I would be ordering some Sugru and getting ready for a black fingers experience- you can get it off!

The nice-looking, but broken-necked octofone and case sold two weeks ago on SGW for less than this case did, but the case was something modern, possibly intended for guitar. The rare accessory interest by collectors reaches great heights in cars, probably because there are much wider possibilities, and little doodads are easier to trade. Rene Lalique radiator caps, one extreme example.

It was a bit of an impulse buy. Probably (no, actually definitely) more than I should have spent on a case, but my Octofone lives in a crappy ill-fitting cardboard guitar case that hardly closes because it is warped from being damp at some point in the past.

I wouldn't have minded one of the nice padded TKL cases that come with the new version Octofones, but I don't think you can get them. I reached out to TKL quite awhile ago, but never got a response. It's also kind of cool to have the correct one.

I had never heard of that Sugru before, Nick. Looked it up and sounds interesting. How do you get it off your fingers? I've seen reference to peanut butter and salt, and isopropyl alcohol.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Sue, well done with the purchase. The common G & S hard cases for A series mandolins fetch nearly as much, so getting this case at that price is not extortionate in my opinion and you may wait years for another. When you use the Sugru just press it hard into any fissures, holes or rips in the covering. You can fill larger deeper holes with a little care but start with the easy things to mend and as I wrote where the covering has thinned you can work it into those areas. Many of these old cases have a texture to the covering and you cannot replicate that with Sugru. You can get the Sugru under the edge of rips as you work it in and then fill the gaps but try to spread it to avoid lumpy looking filling. You need to buy a multi-pack and then you may need some more- it just depends. Work on one side at a time and then let it dry before proceeding to the next. I have got the stuff off my fingers with detergent and a nail brush as I go along before it dries but it does get under your nails which is not a problem for me as it seems I am always doing some messy job that makes this happen! Good luck!

13. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

The case came in today, it's pretty cool. A little beat up, but generally sound. Looks like it used to have some old stickers on it, I kind of wish they were still there. I will live with it awhile before I do any repair or restoration.

The Octofone fits very nicely

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octofone in case.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	831.3 KB 
ID:	201961 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case 3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	759.2 KB 
ID:	201962 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Case1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	847.7 KB 
ID:	201963

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Already on the wood pile! It looks great with the Octofone at home and snug inside. You can stitch some leather on the handle- some had a metal and fabric mix- the leatherette being pinched and held in place by the metal but I think yours was completely covered with something.You can try and find a replacement handle that is in good order- sometimes a wrecked case will yield one up.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Already on the wood pile! It looks great with the Octofone at home and snug inside. You can stitch some leather on the handle- some had a metal and fabric mix- the leatherette being pinched and held in place by the metal but I think yours was completely covered with something.You can try and find a replacement handle that is in good order- sometimes a wrecked case will yield one up.
    Ready for woodshedding.

I played it some this morning, hadn't had it out in a while.