Thread: Asheville Jams?

Default Asheville Jams?

Heading to Asheville area next week. Any friendly bluegrass/old time jams?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Asheville Jams?

Your best bet is to contact our own James Condino. He lives and works in Ashville and is very active in their music scene.

FWIW, Ashville has a reputation of having bluegrass jams just about all the time.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

There is one on Wednesdays in Hendersonville. If you are in town on Sunday listen to 88.7 FM from 3 to 6 for This Old Porch, they may mendtion old time jams on that station.

You can stream WNCW 88.7 from their website. If you can't find jams, listen on Saturdays from 11 AM to 7 PM and play along (as best you can). In addition to This Old Porch on Sunday afternoons, on Sunday mornings there is a BG gospel show (The Gospel Truth) from 7 - 9 AM.
    Clark Beavans

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Thursday Nights at Jack Of The Wood. Every Thursday night they have a bluegrass jam after a little house band plays. Lot of fun. Some real good musicians often show up and their is always a large and lively crowd there.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Wiseman For This Useful Post:

The conversation is not really, "Are there any jams?"

It is more like, "Hoooooolllllllleeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy $#!@ !!!!! I only have a week and so far I've found 27 different jams within 15 minutes of town!"

Jack of the Woods is always a sure bet, but get ready to rumble. Some nights it can be an all out cagefight....

I'll be there next Thursday later in the evening with some friends from Seattle.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Dang! I wish I'd thought of this when I passed through a month ago. My friends took me to hear some great music, but I'd have liked to add playing to the program.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The old time jam in Hendersonville is at Oklawaha Brewing, 1st street just down from the courthouse. It is every Wed. from 6:30 to 8:30. A good mix of players and skill levels, very friendly atmosphere, hosted by Carol Rifkin, who also does "This Old Porch" on WNCW.

On Monday nights, D9 Brewpub on Main Street in Hendersonville has an open Irish session from 6:30 to 9:00. Again, very laid back and a good mix of instrumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by zookster View Post
    On Monday nights, D9 Brewpub on Main Street in Hendersonville has an open Irish session from 6:30 to 9:00. Again, very laid back and a good mix of instrumentation.
    Good info, thanks! I was about to ask if there was any Irish trad in the area. My wife and I are contemplating a move to Asheville in the near future.

We're in the Pacific Northwest now but need to be on the east coast closer to kids and grandkids after we sell our current house. My family on Mom's side came out of the Boone NC area and we had a vacation place just over the border in TN for a few years, so we're familiar with the area. Asheville seems like a good cultural hub to settle in.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

And I'll bet there'll be no shortage of folks needing the services of a good luthier.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!