Thread: Top Seam Repair on GBOM

Default Top Seam Repair on GBOM

I am looking at a fairly new GBOM 2013 to purchase. But the top seam below the bridge separated and has been repaired including cleating. This is a pretty nice quality build and so I was surprised by the separation. Nevertheless my question is about buying an octave with a repaired top seam. Theoretically should an instrument with a proper repair be a solid buy in terms of longevity and stability?

Default Re: Top Seam Repair on GBOM

Flat top? Arch top? Fixed bridge? 'Floating' bridge?

Fixed bridge and flat-top. This is a Circle Strings build and was apparently repaired by the maker a few years back.

How does the repair look? Has it been solid for a while?
    On a carved arched top, especially with floating bridge, a center seam failure there indicates a top carved too thin. On a flat top it is more likely either a poor initial joint or the instrument has been subjected to low relative humidity, perhaps from being overheated. If it looks solid and stable it may not be a problem, but it is definitely something to watch and something that should be taken into consideration when negotiating a price.

I have a Taylor 814 with a similar seam separation from low humidity. It's similarly repaired and, though I didn't keep it in my office anymore, it's been stable ever since. That said, the repair would definitely impact resale so I would be looking to get the OM in question at a pretty hefty discount than it would otherwise be.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Well I have only seen the OM in pictures, so I can't respond to "how does the repair look?" If the seam was reglued that would mean removing the bridge, cleaning the seam of old glue, reclamping and regluing, and then regluing the bridge I guess. Or something to that effect. Or just taking a chance on an instrument that will never be a prime player as is.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Well I have only seen the OM in pictures, so I can't respond to "how does the repair look?"...
    Unfortunately, examination is the only real way to evaluate the repair or to get clues as to why it was necessary. If you can get it for a trial period and get it to an experienced, skilled repair person that is just about the only way to know whether or not it is a good deal.

As tempting as it is there's just a lot of uncertainty of the long term stability of the mandolin. Inasmuch as it's a long shipping distance in this climate we have right now I'm unwilling to stress it only to turn around and return it if I'm not comfortable about it. Perhaps an opportunity passed up but this instrument needs a home closer to home.