Thread: A Case for the Phoenix?

As many of you Phoenix owners know, Rolfe Gerhart provides a stylish heavy duty case for his mandos- the problem is they weigh a TON. #For my everyday travle purposes (e.g, putting my mandolin in the car, driving to the office, friends, jams, etc) it's so heavy that I can't really bring much else with me without wearing my arms out carrying the case. So. The question is: anybody know of a lightweight case that will actually HOLD a Phoenix. #The difficulty is that my beautifully designed 2-point Europa (below!) doesn't conform to either standard F-style or A-style cases. #Any good oblong case with a body cavity carved out to fit an F-style will not accommodate the two-points of a Phoenix. #Rolfe has suggested I contact Elderly and/or Mando Bros to ask them to check what cases they have will work- but I'm asking here first; Does anybody have any ideas for a case that will save my weary case-toting arms??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My guess is it would fit in a Rigel standard tweed rectangular case. I don't consider it a "lightweight" case, but it is much lighter than the Phoenix case. I have compared them.

I've been quite surprised with how well the Boulder mandolin gigbag has worked in terms of protection. It's just a gigbag, but it's got a ton of storage and is quite light.

You know, another thought is you may consider continuing to use the Pheonix case, but get a case cover from Colorado Case or Small Dog that has padded backpack straps. You would be surprised how much more weight you can tote in that configuration that carrying it in your hand.

I have fit my Phoenix mandolins in shaped F cases. Keep searching for one that fits the mandolin.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd would like to add a more narrow question: Has anyone had success with a Phoenix in an Eastman (fibreglass) case, and if so which model?
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Now that I think about it, my older Phoenix came with really solid shaped case. Fit like a glove and was compact. I don't know the maker of the case, but I remember Rolfe saying he had gone to the rectangular GWW cases because the maker of the shaped cases was an erratic supplier.

I have a Phoenix Deluxe and the same issue with a case. Rolfe was trying out a lighter, non-rectangular case with Saga, I believe, but when he got the prototype in the mail this summer, it was dented. He thought that wasn't a good omen. I have compromised with a Boulder gig bag, which isn't the protection of the hard shell, but is fine for taking to and from jams, or festivals, etc. But, when it comes to having a gig and piling other instruments into the car, I definitely use the case. This is working out. I avoided the issue of what to do on a plane by taking another mando with me. G

Phoenix mandolins fit in the standard Calton F case. But that doesn't help you out with the weight issue.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I am not sure mandolin case and heavy belong in the same sentence unless you have it lined with lead for some reason. I have a phoenix Deluxe and I usually carry it around in a Colorado Case gig bag that was made for a A style but seems to have enough room for the two points and protects it very well. So if the amount of space the case takes up is the issue try that but if weight is really your concern then I think you need to spend some time in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by (64lusso @ Oct. 11 2005, 13:02)
    I am not sure mandolin case and heavy belong in the same sentence unless you have it lined with lead for some reason. . . . if weight is really your concern then I think you need to spend some time in the gym.
    Let me say that Rolfe has written back to me to say that he is asked once a month or so whether a lighter weight case can be found. #Is the standard case heavy in some absolute sense, no; is it heavy for a mandolin case, I think it's really heavy. #Can I carry a book bag full of papers and a laptop, a guitar in a gig bag, and the Phoenix case 1/4 mile from my car to my office, yeah, but it is, well, awkward.

Sorry for the Rumsfeldesque sentence structure (I hope I at least make more sense...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (64lusso @ Oct. 11 2005, 12:02)
    I am not sure mandolin case and heavy belong in the same sentence unless you have it lined with lead for some reason.
    Jay, Brad and I forgive you for your naiveté in this matter; there's no way you could have known the whole story...
    At the risk of giving away one of the builder's secrets (forgive me please, Rolfe), the cases that Brad and I are struggling with on our recent mutual Phoenix purchases ARE in fact, lined with lead.
    In an effort to prevent exposure to harmful Gamma Rays and believe it or not Kryptonite (!) while the instrument rests in the case, lead is a key element in the lining allowing the instrument to "recharge" between practice or performances. If any of you are experiencing difficulty in getting the most out of your Phoenix, perhaps it's because you are not using the proper case to propel this process.
    Sure, Brad and I are both card carrying members of the 98 lb. Weakling Club, but that has nothing to do with not being able to handle the intense weight of the case these fine instruments are packed in.
    Ted Eschliman

Aw, Ted.... stop scaring the noobies......
    I managed to squeeze my Phoenix into my Price-Nelson case as a test. That was a heavy combination.
    It was too tight to feel comfortable using, tho.

Blog Entries

Okay, a serious answer for a serious question.
    Just received and Eastman (F style) case this morning, and the Phoenix Jazz fits in it quite nicely. This is a very well made case, and extremely light:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	px_Estmn1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	11287  
    Ted Eschliman

Blog Entries

It will also fit the newer Rigel tweed rectangular case, although there is a bit more "give" at the tip of the headstock. I wouldn't be comfortable without a tad more cushion to keep it from banging the inside of the case, but that's an easy fix. It's hard to tell from the picture, though:

Name:	px_Rgl.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	11288  
    Ted Eschliman

Blog Entries

I added a NeoTech padded case strap, and I'm all set to travel with this thing. The stock Phoenix case is fine for local and storage, but this Eastman case will make it much more convenient to haul around.

Name:	px_Estmn2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	11289  
    Ted Eschliman

Aw come on Ted, I like your lead lined theory better--let's keep some mystery in this place!! In any event, after reading Brads post it sounds like what he needs is more arms with all he is trying to carry! Maybe Colorado can build you a gig bag that will carry a guitar and a mando!

Blog Entries

Of course to make it complete, you need one of these...

Ted Eschliman

Rolfe sez that putting that sticker on one of his mandolins voids the warranty! Be careful where it goes!

Default Re: A Case for the Phoenix?

I like the funky kinda' vintage tweedy look and find that the Gator Journeyman wood case fits. It's not the best quality case but it suits my needs just fine!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECA2CFF4-8BC8-4A07-AACD-7F5F150F1BBC.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	544.5 KB 
ID:	203569

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I got my Phoenix in a Hiscox case, not sure how that compares with the original Phoenix cases.
    It's 7.78 lbs.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

A week later I have to retract my comments about the Gator Journeyman case. The lid developed a warp and became difficult to close. I returned it for a replacement. The second one had a similar problem and is now returned. Seems to be a quality control problem.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Question Re: A Case for the Phoenix?

British pound is weak US Dollar strong.. might be the time to get a Pegasus from Scotland .

with the interior furnishing made to suit your mandolin's outline . mail him a pattern..

they shoulder carry nicely ask for Carbon instead of fiberglass if you want.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

For newcomers to this thread: it was started over 17 years ago. I suppose some folks still have this problem but Phoenix mandolins are no longer made sadly. I love one comment above as “Rumsfeldesque”
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1