Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music from Central France

Default Music from Central France

This is a nice video of a band called Cadene, who seem like they are from Central France. The pipes are certainly from there. (Cornemuse du Centre). Really nice, I think. Pretty funky looking lot as well.

I enjoy this music a lot but don't come across it much. I once went to a festival in Central France at St Chartier (now in the nearby village of Ars and called Le Son Continu).
    Previous threads on French music have tended to discuss Quebecois and Breton music, but I am specifically interested more in stuff from the centre.
    Has anyone else got a taste for this kind of thing?

Here is a link to more music. www.tradethik.com

And to Le Son Continu
    http://www.lesoncontinu.fr/en/home-2019-gb/
    David A. Gordon

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Music from Central France

Hi Dagger:

I love that music and play it on my English Border bagpipes by Jon Swayne and schäferpfeife by Thorsten Tetz, which are very similar to the cornemuse du centre that Julian Barbances is playing in that clip (those are pitched in D, but they come in several keys, G being very common). I was at Le Son Continu in 2015 and cannot wait to get back there. The English band Blowzabella are very much a part of that scene (they have been attending St. Chartier since 1978 and continue with LSC). It's a very vibrant scene. I love the combination of cornemuse and vielle ā roue (hurdy gurdy), and they also use accordeon diatonique and fiddle. Julian Barbances also plays in a trio called La Machine with vielle master Gregory Jolivet:

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zoukboy For This Useful Post:

You could also check out Topette!! The Anglo French dance band featuring English accordionist Andy Cutting (big in France) and Julien Cartonnet on pipes and tenor banjo (it works). They are currently touring in England but may not get to Scotland. There is a widespread French folk dancing scene in England where Topette!! often feature.
    Check out their YouTube videos to sample their sound.

thanks for these posts, guys. I like this music a lot when I hear it, but that's the tricky part. I knew a couple of people who played hurdy gurdy and they played this kind of stuff all the time, it was really great but not easy to find.

There was a group in New England for a while that played French music, but it *may* may been more Breton than Central France. They may have been called Trou Bras or something like that. I tried googling them but only got a lot of ads for ladies undergarments.
    Steve

I dig it. I had a gurdy for a while. I play winds and stuff also good for tunes. I fell into the accordeon diatonique which makes me lazy. I like to hear oud on the tunes too. Medieval!

80 Airs du Centre-France Book (notation only)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xhswo89h5...3%89E.pdf?dl=0

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

A friend lent me a couple of books called Massif Central Volumes 1&2. Turns out they were reissued mostly as this book called Bal Folk available from Mallyproductions.com in West Yorkshire, UK. I bought another book from them pictured here plus yet another more general French fiddle book by Chris Haigh.

I have only started playing through these tune books. Some tunes are rather simplistic but I assume are transcribed in a bare-bones manner and might be normally played with proper ornamentation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5126.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	202076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5127.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	618.2 KB 
ID:	202077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5125.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	388.4 KB 
ID:	202078  

Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-17-2022 at 3:12pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

There is also a wonderful site for the Agence des Musiques des Territoires d'Auvergne (AMTA). Auvergne seems to be a rich area of traditional music. There are a lot of notated sheet music and sound files here.

Also quite a few wonderful videos of many musicians playing this music on their YouTube channel.

Two of my favorite fiddlers from this area. I found two CDs of Basile Bremaud on Bandcamp here: https://basilebremaud.bandcamp.com/.

Actualy Clémence Cognet plays in one band called Komred. One album available is on Bandcamp here: https://phonolithe.bandcamp.com/album/grange

Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-17-2022 at 3:35pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Here’s the TAB for the previous posted book.
    80 Airs ā Danser du Centre-France
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jumwa409wj...rance.pdf?dl=0
    A lot of the tunes are quite simple with great variations from place to place.
    You just have to imagine a LOT of musicians playing the tune while marching up the village high street with a wide variety of instruments many of which look suspiciously homemade. Beaucoup de 'fun', quoi!

15. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Thanks for the great responses everyone, I was beginning to think I'd drawn a blank on this one.
    Regarding Blowzabella, I once went to a dance where they were playing in Cheltenham, England.

My friend Duncan MacGillivray used to be in The Battlefield Band in the late seventies/ early eighties, and he got friendly with a a pipe maker called Bernard Blanc, who played a gig in Inverness with his brother, also a piper who I think also played hurdy gurdy. It would have been my first encounter of this music.

Here is a bit about Bernard and some other interesting stuff about some of the musicians who have been involved in this music:
    https://www.bagpipesociety.org.uk/ar...ew-cornemuses/
    David A. Gordon

17. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Ran across this, from the South. Albeit, jazzier

Last edited by catmandu2; Jul-17-2022 at 10:19pm.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Dagger and Zouk!

My other axe is a GC box which I bought on a whim after getting hooked on piano accordion.

I sort of stumbled into French music for that box tuning and fell in love with it.

And then drifted southwards towards the Morvan and the musique centrale if folks will forgive my French.

The slap bass adds a lot to my ear. (Mercy, mercy, mercy...no drums. )

A whole new musical world for us. A tip of a mastiff.

Planning some travel there soon.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Last night I watched an old documentary about the French musette music tradition. The most interesting part was that there was a large influx of people from the Auvergne are that migrated to Paris in the nineteenth century primarily for economic reasons. They brought their music and dance with them worth the musette (bagpipes) being the main instrument. About twenty years later there were many Italian immigrants who brought the accordion which supplanted the bagpipes and along with the guitar became the basis for the musette groups. In any case here’s that documentary. Not sure why the title says piano accordion in Paris — there are no piano accordions in this film at all.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Here’s the TAB for the previous posted book.
    80 Airs ā Danser du Centre-France
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jumwa409wj...rance.pdf?dl=0
    A lot of the tunes are quite simple with great variations from place to place.
    You just have to imagine a LOT of musicians playing the tune while marching up the village high street with a wide variety of instruments many of which look suspiciously homemade. Beaucoup de 'fun', quoi!
    Thanks, Simon!

There used to be (or maybe still is) a terrifc series of French publications (and recordings) labeled TRAD.

Amazing musical and cultural resources.

They published some great volumes for the diatonique accordion.

For awhile they were available online but my lone source seems to have dried up and / or things are out of print or unavailable from over here.

I got one collection and regret not having swooped them all.

I imagine you're familiar with the TRAD publications??

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Last night I watched an old documentary about the French musette music tradition. The most interesting part was that there was a large influx of people from the Auvergne are that migrated to Paris in the nineteenth century primarily for economic reasons. They brought their music and dance with them worth the musette (bagpipes) being the main instrument. About twenty years later there were many Italian immigrants who brought the accordion which supplanted the bagpipes and along with the guitar became the basis for the musette groups. In any case here’s that documentary. Not sure why the title says piano accordion in Paris — there are no piano accordions in this film at all.

Thanks, Jim!

I'm trying to get out of the house to do some work (in the Texas heat) and y'all are distracting me....

This looks like a great dinnertime view.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Fwiw, there's a style (set-up) of accordion, associated with Viseur known as "accordeon mixte" - diatonic EGB with stradella bass, IIRC - that preceded the proliferation of chromatic button accordions in the music. I very nearly obtained a "mixte" three-row, but eventually resisted in favor of the other styles of boxes I play.

I gave up gurdy, too, when the bag of reeds came my way.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jul-18-2022 at 1:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Thanks, Simon!

There used to be (or maybe still is) a terrifc series of French publications (and recordings) labeled TRAD.

Amazing musical and cultural resources.

They published some great volumes for the diatonique accordion.

For awhile they were available online but my lone source seems to have dried up and / or things are out of print or unavailable from over here.

I got one collection and regret not having swooped them all.

I imagine you're familiar with the TRAD publications??

Mick
    Not sure about TRAD-- sort of hard to search for it since Google wants to correct to Trade Publications...

In any case, check out this web site where I bought two of those French tunebooks I mentioned above: mallyproductions.com

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Here are two performance videos from Draille which are 4 violin family instrument players (plus vocals). I believe they play traditional music from the southern alps. Here is their web site: https://drailles.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-18-2022 at 8:09pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Lots of tunes, but the sources info has been removed.

https://www.mustradlib.net/

31. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Lots of tunes, but the sources info has been removed.

https://www.mustradlib.net/
    Also, a royal pain to individually download the files I want. I used the search engine and entered France. There are something like 4276 files... Yikes. Unless there is some way I am not seeing. Do you have a clue?

This link it to the first page with links to all the tunes: https://www.mustradlib.net/airs.php#tous-p1

There are 189 pages like this!
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-19-2022 at 4:34pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

33. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Try abcnotation.com with a clever search word, then go to the top of the page of an example tune (especially one in a foreign language, hence clever ) then check the link at the top of the page for the collection source. A lot of these collections have miserable format problems, though some can be fixed with find n replace.

Example:
    In Apple/pages search and replace T: with T:RWa. which is then followed by the individual titles for all tunes.

This will put the name of the author in the title to make searching and keeping in collection (Important) more efficient.
    If tunes are kept in their collections (eg. tagging) then you can get an idea of the person who made the collection, their standards, interests, politics, social etc. The collection is more important than the individual tunes. There’s a lot of info in the N: lines, you just need one tune to link back.

Good luck!! And keep us informed if you find anything interesting!

Another way is to get to know real people through courses etc. see if they keep collections like this or if they keep them in their heads!

I don’t see any abc files on that site just images and midi files. On the contact page the guy in charge said his dad set this up but that he was looking for ways to improve it in terms of download and search.

OTOH I have my hands full with printed books and more accessible sites like AMTA. I may just look at a few tunes but it is hard to justify multiple clicks per download unless the music is unavailable elsewhere. Frankly I would rather learn from videos and recordings of trad musicians playing this music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Duncan MacGillivray had a great LP by accordionist Marc Perrone which I taped and often listened to. Great guitar by Dennis Glasser, plus hurdy gurdy and hautbois. I haven't heard this track for years. Still sounds lovely.

David A. Gordon

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Not sure about TRAD-- sort of hard to search for it since Google wants to correct to Trade Publications...

In any case, check out this web site where I bought two of those French tunebooks I mentioned above: mallyproductions.com

Thanks, Jim! I have found these folks (Mally Bay?) and actually bought the two books you referenced from them a couple years back.

The TRAD magazine materials remain elusive.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Fun new video from La Machine

David A. Gordon

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post: