Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

Default Re: Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    That's so fascinating to me David, because I am absolutely the opposite. I need that thick round pick to get any kind of decent tremolo!
    Thanks - but I ask you too, what sort of mandolin and what style of music are you playing?

I come from a traditional Italian mandolin tradition, also play classical, Klezmer, etc. and use bowlbacks or European flatbacks with shorter scales and very light strings.

The sharp point of the string allows me to really "pluck" the string in a tiny circle. When I try to use the round end, it seems I'm rubbing or brushing across the strings rather than digging in. Coming from the Italian tradition, I also tend to use a fast tremolo and use it a lot.

So I'm always curious about those like you that favor the rounded picks.

I’m currently playing a Collings MF with GHS 11-38 (medium lights) and a Sam Bush Gibson with D’Addario EJM74 (the ones Sam Bush worked with them to design). I like the standard D’Addario EJ74s too; just playing with the GHS for now. As far as genres: fiddle tunes, jam grass, and Americana.

As for the rounded part, it is interesting you like the pointy picks more for tremolo. I like the sharp attack for a lot of picking with the pointy points, and feel like they cut a little more; but for smooth tremolo or chord melodies - like “Rise” by Eddie Vedder, for example - I think they are easier to play smoothly and evenly with the rounded points - I notice no difference on chops, so I didn’t mean playing any chords. And I’m not talking about a round pick - I’m just talking the one rounded point I sanded into the BlueChip CT-55 and the one that came on the ToneSlab, which is a 1 rounded corner model.

3. The following members say thank you to TX2AK for this post:

That’s cool. We are definitely playing different styles. I had to look up “Klezmer;” it sounds very interesting!

5. The following members say thank you to TX2AK for this post:

I am a bluegrass/Dawg guy with a little bit of Jazz thrown in. Definitely go for that Grisman smooth tremolo.
    I'm most often using a Mike Marshall Apollo pick on my Northfield 4th Gen (F style).

I could see how a pointed pick would get you the sound you are after in your styles though. What a great and versatile instrument we play!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TX2AK View Post
    I’m currently playing a Collings MF with GHS 11-38 (medium lights) and a Sam Bush Gibson with D’Addario EJM74 (the ones Sam Bush worked with them to design). I like the standard D’Addario EJ74s too; just playing with the GHS for now. As far as genres: fiddle tunes, jam grass, and Americana.

As for the rounded part, it is interesting you like the pointy picks more for tremolo. I like the sharp attack for a lot of picking with the pointy points, and feel like they cut a little more; but for smooth tremolo or chord melodies - like “Rise” by Eddie Vedder, for example - I think they are easier to play smoothly and evenly with the rounded points - I notice no difference on chops, so I didn’t mean playing any chords. And I’m not talking about a round pick - I’m just talking the one rounded point I sanded into the BlueChip CT-55 and the one that came on the ToneSlab, which is a 1 rounded corner model.
    Honestly, I can't play smoothly nor evenly with a rounded tip on a pick...but I was trained using those old mandolin books which still assumed that people played bowlbacks.

That’s cool. We are definitely playing different styles. I had to look up “Klezmer;” it sounds very interesting!
    It is!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I am a bluegrass/Dawg guy with a little bit of Jazz thrown in. Definitely go for that Grisman smooth tremolo.
    I'm most often using a Mike Marshall Apollo pick on my Northfield 4th Gen (F style).

I could see how a pointed pick would get you the sound you are after in your styles though. What a great and versatile instrument we play!
    Thank y'all for the responses. That Mike Marshall Apollo pick is a bit too round for my taste and I don't like triangular picks. Marshall certainly can play very well with one!

This issue definitely is a matter of genre and style. Although I think the classic Italian tremolo is very smooth, I can understand what sound you folks are trying for. It's a warmer, drier tone color, perhaps a slightly slower tremolo, that fits the musical style.

Also you are moving heavier, thicker strings on a longer scale instrument - the string tension is noticeably higher than the lightly strung short scale models I favor.

I think I understand better why those old mandolin method books are not as applicable to many players, they were written before these playing styles were developed and popularized.

Your responses are appreciated.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Yeah, he was plugging these at Delfest. No thanks, Blue Chip is the one for me. Purchased two BC's a long LONG time ago and they are as solid as a rock.

Since my last post, I went ahead and ordered the yellow 1.5 large triangle with 3 round and the blue 1.4 tweener, also with 3 round; and I still have and play the CT-55 too. Having 4 good picks just complicates the equation! I like the 1.5 on the Collings MF, because it tones it down a little; but I prefer the 1.3 and 1.4 on my (newish to me) Pava F5. Some days, I prefer the smaller Tweener, and others, I prefer any of the 3 large triangles mentioned. I do prefer the rounder corners on all 4 picks (I mentioned above that I rounded one of the corners on the CT-55, which I have since refined to match the profile of the ToneSlab rounds, and that put it right back in as a front runner). At some point, I’m sure I’ll list at least a couple of them for sale at a used discount; but I’m still not ready to make the final call. As far as size, it’s Tweener, CT-55, 3 round large triangle TS, and 1 round large triangle TS. I think I like the two in the middle best, for size and feel in the fingers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	574.1 KB 
ID:	208274

And I realize plenty of people think having $150-200 in picks is dumb. That’s a fine position to take, I guess. I figure I’ll keep and use at least a couple, maybe sell one or two and probably contribute at least one, if not two, as a “thank you,” to the pick sampler, and save others having to buy to try. In the scheme of multi-thousand dollar instruments, $100-200 to scratch that itch and know is worth the money. If I was still a student or had financial restrictions that made that position untenable, I would absolutely still be playing heavy Fenders or the shoulders of a good teardrop, I suppose. I live in a small town, have a 1.5 mile commute to my office, and my unlimited family golf membership costs a whopping $80 p/mo; I can’t and don’t run out to stores, bars, restaurants, etc.; so, this is pretty well what I spend disposable income on. It would be nice if folks would withhold the judgmental comments. I suspect none of us wants all of our spending habits critiqued by people who know nothing about our lives. Just my two cents on that topic.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TX2AK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    My experience with a coupla TS picks is that they wear/get rough much quicker that any BC I have used. I like the bright tone and gription, but it seems they may require as much maintenance as the actual turtle shell I have used for so many years. BC CT55 is still my preferred expensive plectrum.
    I love the sound of my ToneSlab pick, but I also find it is starting to sound a touch scratchy. It is subtle, and I may very well be the only one who hears it, but it's definitely there - and I am certain I play a LOT less than a lot of Cafe visitors. I can avoid it by switching to a different point on the triangle - for now, anyway. In the past, if I did any pick reshaping or clean-up, I usually did a final buff/polish on the back of a leather belt - but that doesn't seem to affect the TS at all. I hate to try the superfine grit automotive "sandpapers" I have because I fear they just make it worse. It just feels like 3 or 4 months from now I'll be retiring this pick and going back to BlueChip. We will see.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Yes, the Tone Slab does seem to be much like actual shell in that it requires maintenance. I use a manicure bar that has 6 levels of abrasion...much simpler than purchasing and using sheets of abrasives.
    too many strings

I rotate between the ones I have and the BC, so the couple I use the most were starting to get a little scratch to them. I did the same thing as several of you, and used the 2 finest grits on my wife’s nail buffer - good as new, I think.

Do you notice additional screech when your wife discovers your transgression? Asking for a friend...

18. The following members say thank you to PapaZark for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I still don’t own any slabs of tone but did see Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen on Thursday. They were awesome!

As an added bonus, Chris Luquette was filling in on guitar and he was ripping! Great band, great show, highly recommended.

20. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Well, funny thing, lookee what's now on the ToneSlab store ....Apparently it's a known issue. I already bought a 6-level shaper/buffer file at CVS, and it has worked great.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

And I realize plenty of people think having $150-200 in picks is dumb………. I can’t and don’t run out to stores, bars, restaurants, etc.; so, this is pretty well what I spend disposable income on. It would be nice if folks would withhold the judgmental comments. I suspect none of us wants all of our spending habits critiqued by people who know nothing about our lives. Just my two cents on that topic.
    A good friend once commented that, “you vote with your money”. Voting for music is always a winning proposition (unless it involves Ticketmaster!).

And I know from personal experience, that us older folks need to recalibrate our sense of what things cost. $45 still seems like a bit of money to me, but then, I can remember working for $1.25 an hour, the minimum wage at the time. It helps to think of a twenty dollar bill these days as a buck…..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Well, funny thing, lookee what's now on the ToneSlab store ....Apparently it's a known issue. I already bought a 6-level shaper/buffer file at CVS, and it has worked great.
    Funny indeed. Solivan sez in the video "Pick care is something that people don't really talk about...". I will presume that this is so because, A) People use inexpensive "regular" picks and throw them away when they get rough, B) Those that use real shell picks know about pick care, but do not talk about it and/or, C) They use an expensive synthetic pick that does not wear (or does not wear readily). Whilst many crow about BC picks not wearing, I have developed a rough edge on a BC pick, but I will say it is far more wear resistant than real shell. My experience with TS picks is they wear at about the same rate as shell. I reckon it is good that they have addressed this issue and provided a maintenance product, which I'm sure they will sell (add $4.00 shipping). However the nail manicure bar available where ever local retail health&beauty products are sold is about 3 bucks with no shipping.
    too many strings

I personally like the tone I get from the standard 1.4 FS shape, but these picks scratch very easily as some of you have noticed. It's easier to scratch these up and hear it in your playing than with Apollo, which also scratch up. I have found that the "Darth Tone" picks from this company don't scratch as easily.
    Keith McCullough

- '15 Hansen f5