Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin solo gigs with backing tracks?

Default Re: Mandolin solo gigs with backing tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

By the way, on Leland Sklar’s youtube channel he told a few years ago about a big name act he toured with who used a recorded segment during one of his songs. I opine that it’s fine as long as it’s a support, an enhancement to the music and not the bulk of the performance.
    That was James Taylor with the song "Cover The People"...backing singers prerecorded and played back on synchronized reel-to-reel decks on stage. Most famously and widely viewed when he did this as a musical guest on SNL...I recall the stink it caused, even prior to the innernet. It's likely on youtube
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    That was James Taylor with the song "Cover The People"...backing singers prerecorded and played back on synchronized reel-to-reel decks on stage. Most famously and widely viewed when he did this as a musical guest on SNL...I recall the stink it caused, even prior to the innernet. It's likely on youtube
    Here is the clip. Interesting. I argue that it would have been a more impactful performance if he just sang it solo, but that's my taste.

Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

There's nothing wrong with performing how you want to perform. If you want to use a backing track, do it. I've used a loop station to create live backing tracks at solo gigs before and never had anyone complain about that (maybe about the playing, but not the loop haha).

I've seen a few folks use Ableton Live or similar along with a foot switch to control parts. Effectively they pre-record the different parts (verse, chorus etc), then cycle through. If I was going to do solo stuff more frequently, I'd definitely look into this type of setup. That gives you a lot more freedom that a pre-recorded static track to end parts and the song when you want and you don't have to perfectly time the loop - but means you have to pay more attention too I guess
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5