Thread: Need some advice on a tuner pedal

Default Need some advice on a tuner pedal

I'm using a Fire Eye Red-Eye Twin preamp when the band plays out with sound. Would like to add a tuner pedal to the chain. Been running into a challenge with seeing the clip-on tuner when playing outdoors or in bright indirect light. Hoping to find a pedal with a big, bright display. Also, would like to be able to tune in "silent mode." Currently, depending upon the instrument I am tuning, I switch the input of my preamp to the other instrument. Hoping that by hooking a pedal to the effects loop of the Red-Eye, I won't have to do that.

Considering a Peterson StroboStomp. Pros? Cons?

Others I should look at?

Any other advice or suggestions?
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Default Re: Need some advice on a tuner pedal

I'm a fan of the TC Electronics Polytune. I have the clip on and polytune 3 mini noir pedal. I use a Peterson StroboPlus HD for setup/intonation work and pedal steel, so I'd say my bar for tuning accuracy is above average.

3. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I love my Boss TU-3 pedal. It has a few display options, all of which are easy and quick to use. It automatically mutes when in tune mode, which is very convenient. It also offers an output jack which bypasses the muting, so you can monitor how well you're staying in tune while playing, if that's your preference.

Just one thing, now - it was a sad day when I discovered it was reading sharp (or flat - I forget.) I thought I had just accidentally hit some sort of adjust function, with which you can tune to A 432 instead of A 440, or whatever. But I've been unable to find a way to return it to proper frequency accuracy, which has forced it into early retirement. If anyone knows how to correct this, do tell.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I love my Boss TU-3 pedal. I thought I had just accidentally hit some sort of adjust function, with which you can tune to A 432 instead of A 440, or whatever. But I've been unable to find a way to return it to proper frequency accuracy, which has forced it into early retirement. If anyone knows how to correct this, do tell.
    A very quick search turned up this:

Changing the Reference Pitch
    You can adjust the reference pitch over a range of 436–445 Hz.
    * 440 Hz is the factory default.
    Press the MODE button and STREAM/CENT button simultaneously. The lowest digit of the current reference pitch (e.g., “0” when set to 440 Hz) blinks in the Note Name/String indicator.
    Press the MODE button or STREAM/CENT button to change the reference pitch.
    MODE button: Raises the reference pitch by 1 Hz. STREAM/CENT button: Lowers the reference pitch by 1 Hz.
    * If you allow several seconds to elapse without pressing the MODE button or STREAM/CENT button, the TU-3 will return to normal operation.
    * When you turn on the power, the current reference pitch will be displayed for several seconds.
    * This setting remains stored even after the power is turned off.

7. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

JB I would think you could google the tuner and get directions from the Boss website.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Actually, I found a youtube video that ever-so-briefly mentioned how to calibrate the tuning. So I added "calibration" in to my search string and presto! Found a pdf of the manual. One page. And yes - somehow I had gotten the setting 5 hz sharp. Now I'm back in business!

Thanks, pals! I don't know why I haven't been able to track down thus info before. Yes, pops, I'd googled it, but got nowhere. Seems adding "calibration" was the key. Sorry I didn't say anything here; I got busy with this ... and that ... and another thing.

And oh, boy - yes, that pdf manual in my phone, now. In two places!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

TC Polytune- the full size one is switchable between true bypass and buffered. The TC is quite bright and very fast to nail the pitch

12. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

+1 on the Boss tuner. I have a pair of TU-2's that I bought 25 years ago and use regularly. They work just as well as they did when I got them.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

14. The following members say thank you to John Rosett for this post:

+1 on the TC Polytune pedal. Full size has a battery slot, mini needs power, both work great.

If you want one without the poly feature (strumming the strings checks them all at once) they make a Unitune version, too.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Took Brad, Rob, and Kevin's advice. Bought a Polytune3. Marvelous bright, easy to connect to my Red-Eye Twin. Works well with both my D28 and the two mandos with K&Ks in them. Thanks for the advice folks.

Update on the Polytune3. The band played yesterday late afternoon at a craft fair in central Maine. Hotter than blazes, the sun just radiating into the semi-enclosed bandstand we played in (heatstroke anyone). With its interior white walls and the full sun shining down, no shade in the bandstand. The Polytune on the floor was awesomely visible. Our banjo player 12 feet away remarked about being able to read the display. Best of all, when using it, the built-in mute function meant that neither the listeners nor my bandmates needed to hear the continual tuning needed to keep my instruments at correct pitch. Worked really well with the Red Eye Fire Eye.

So, in summation, Polytune3 ticked all the boxes. My thanks again to those of you who encouraged me to consider the device. Proves what a significant brain trust is available here at the Cafe!

Now off to clean the sweat and salt off my instruments and change strings heavily corroded from yesterday's performance...

One more observation about the device. I thought I had completely unpacked it last week. Yesterday, about 30 minutes into the set, the display screen on the Polytune3 started bubbling. My initial thought was the direct sun and heat were too intense and I'd just destroyed the new device. Turns out there was a very thin polyfilm clinging to the display that was so perfectly cut and adhered so nicely that it hadn't been recognized earlier. A bandmate's fingernails gently at the edge of the screen revealed the polyfilm and eased the fear of imminent destruction.
    Whew!