Thread: High Country Snows- Dan Fogelberg

Default High Country Snows- Dan Fogelberg

I am curious if folks are familiar with the album High Country Snows released in the mid 80's by Dan Fogelberg? It is amazing how many exceptional bluegrass artists played on that album including Mr. Grisman, Doc and many others. It doesn't have a traditional vocal quality to it but apparently sold 500k plus number of records. Incredible pickers on it imho. (Sorry about the poor video)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...5&action=click

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: High Country Snows- Dan Fogelberg

Arrggh! You're reminding me that I haven't listened to it 10 years, maybe more. So now its something ELSE that I have to find around here!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

3. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

The other thing that came out of that album was that the extraordinary multi instrumentalist John Jorgenson got his first big break on the tour for that album. He and Herb Pedersen, another high level bluegrass musician, were part of the backing band for the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    I am curious if folks are familiar with the album High Country Snows released in the mid 80's by Dan Fogelberg? It is amazing how many exceptional bluegrass artists played on that album including Mr. Grisman, Doc and many others. It doesn't have a traditional vocal quality to it but apparently sold 500k plus number of records. Incredible pickers on it imho. (Sorry about the poor video)

Thanks so much for sharing the info and video. I must admit, I was not previously familiar with this album, but now I will begin a search for it. Would love to know who was playing fiddle on that video!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

Hi Dave,

Jim Buchanan played fiddle on several of the songs. I am admittedly a Dan Fogelberg fanboy…his first album Home Free was one of the first LPs I owned when it released in 1972 when I got my first stereo system for my 10th birthday. I was hooked for some reason and followed him throughout his career up until his untimely death from advanced prostate cancer in 2007. He was an absolutely amazing musician, playing most of the guitar and keyboards on many of his albums as well as singing the backup/harmony tracks.

I had luck of seeing him countless times and the best was on one if his solo acoustic tours (just a piano and his amazing Martin) at the Ryman here in Nashville. Stunning night of music and I could have sat there all night.
    Northfield NF-F5S
    The Loar LM600VS

Dave Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post

I loved that album though I was really into him in college. It kind of reminds me of the Manassas albums, rockers showing some bluegrass love. I guess Emmylou's Roses in the Snow is kinda like that.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Just add me to those who when they heard that album the first time I was blown away. I haven't played it in years but I do know I still have it somewhere. It was about the time that I was discovering bluegrass in all its iterations and this just became one more log added to the fire. Another tune on the album that I just couldn't listen to enough was "John Sutter's Mill" or something like that.

Now I have to look through my CDs. I used to have that album, but haven’t seen it in years. I don’t think I appreciated it when I bought it. I loved Dan Fogelberg’s acoustic guitar, but his electric guitar and his bluegrass album didn’t hold my attention. I suspect I might appreciate it more now.

I saw him live once and loved it!

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Dan Fogelberg “Live at Red Rocks”?

They weren't shy about laying on the reverb in those days.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Dave Berry

Here is an interesting tidbit from an article about Herb Peterson in the June Issue of Bluegrass Unlimited describing how the Desert Rose Band was formed as a result of Chris Hillman putting together a tour band for this album.

The Desert Rose Band grew out of an acoustic bluegrass quartet put together by Chris Hillman to tour with singer- songwriter Dan Fogelberg promoting his new bluegrass album, High Country Snows. In addition to Hillman, the band included Herb, bassist Bill Bryson and John Jorgenson, a young mandolin and guitar ace who was then playing in a bluegrass band in Frontier Land at Disneyland. The quartet would open the shows and then return during Fogelberg’s set to play songs from the album.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lackey View Post
    Hi Dave,

Jim Buchanan played fiddle on several of the songs. I am admittedly a Dan Fogelberg fanboy…his first album Home Free was one of the first LPs I owned when it released in 1972 when I got my first stereo system for my 10th birthday. I was hooked for some reason and followed him throughout his career up until his untimely death from advanced prostate cancer in 2007. He was an absolutely amazing musician, playing most of the guitar and keyboards on many of his albums as well as singing the backup/harmony tracks.

I had luck of seeing him countless times and the best was on one if his solo acoustic tours (just a piano and his amazing Martin) at the Ryman here in Nashville. Stunning night of music and I could have sat there all night.
    Thanks, Alan!! The reason I asked about the fiddle is that in the background of the "Outlaw" video that was posted, there was a guy with a fiddle who (at a very quick glance) could have been Vassar Clements. Probably not, but I just wasn't sure. BTW: While I did not previously own that album, I just purchased a copy of it on CD from Amazon for the very affordable price of $4.99 new. I've played it thru a couple of times now and love it. I've been picking along with my Gibson A-9.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

13. The following members say thank you to Old Dog Dave for this post: