Thread: True market value of a Collings mt gt

Default True market value of a Collings mt gt

Hey Guys and gals,
    I wanted to know what the true market value for a used Collings mt gt would be currently. Inflation has really screwed up my idea of what is a proper price. What once was 1500 to 1800 in 2018-2019 is now being advertised used as 3000-3500 in 2022. What would you be willing to pay? I really appreciate your feedback because I have my mind set on saving up for this model but am unwilling to pay new model prices on a used MTGT. I think new is somewhere around $3,725. Please help and thank you KK.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: True market value of a Collings mt gt

Yes, sadly, 1,500 will no longer get you a used Collings unless you are very, very lucky.

Market? Hard to say just what others are willing to pay. You need to decide what you’re willing to pay and make offers and watch for deals. I’d do probably 2,800 or so if I had the cash and was in the market.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Dave Sheets

Default Re: True market value of a Collings mt gt

Well, dealers seem to sell used instruments at roughly 2/3 the current new price of the same instrument for most instruments, so 2/3 of $3725 is $2483.

But that 2/3 is just a ballpark, Collings instruments are super consistent and go at something of a premium, so I'd expect to pay more than that 2/3. It also depends on the reputation of the seller, whether a set-up is included, just how worn or used the instrument is, how many of them are on the used market. Lots of variables there.

Lowest asking price for a used MT (not a GT) on reverb is $3150 right now. Just looked at the classifieds here, whoa nelly, prices are up for everything.

Looks to me like Mark's estimate of $2800 as a good price for a buyer isn't far off. Maybe slightly low.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post: