Thread: Cute lil' bowlback on ebay

Default Cute lil' bowlback on ebay

This is pretty cute, and the case looks nice, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cute lil bowlback.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	202079

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13414594399...Cclp%3A2563228

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, this action does NOT look like "The action is high but could be adjusted thru the bridge," as the ad copy suggests.

Name:	correct me if I'm wrong.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	202080
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

2. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Cute lil' bowlback on ebay

I don't think the Golden Gate Bridge would get that playable.

It is nice looking with the tiny rosewood bowl and zero fret.

Minimum $470 with shipping?

This will sit around unsold for a long long time.

Maybe forever.

You could spend a lot of time and effort trying to get it playable.

From my experience with a few of these, they call them "pocket" mandolins for a good reason.

They sound as if you are playing a mandolin in your pocket.

I never have really understood these, though I have found them intriguing to look at.

The mandolin is already a pretty small instrument.

If you want something smaller, that's what harmonicas were invented for.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have a German made early last century pocket sized mandolin. It is a little bigger than that, and needs a set up - though the action is almost right on. I figure don't give up, it has every chance of sounding great and being a lot of fun to play.

I also have a Weber Gallatin Sopranino, which is a small mandolin tuned CGDA, a fourth above standard tuning. (Or an octave above the mandola.) Here is a pic comparing in size with my Gibson A2. I play this often and like the option of the high voice.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    This is pretty cute, and the case looks nice, too.

Name:	cute lil bowlback.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	202079

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13414594399...Cclp%3A2563228

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, this action does NOT look like "The action is high but could be adjusted thru the bridge," as the ad copy suggests.

Name:	correct me if I'm wrong.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	202080
    That's a silly price for a pocket mandolin.

They are rare but not very

Name:	2022-04-22 13.14.22.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	202088
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I don't think the Golden Gate Bridge would get that playable.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Looks to me that somebody has already had a go at sorting the neck out. You can see the shim on the side view of the neck. Wall hanger or firewood? The case is probably worth something.

"Cute" is not the term I would use for any musical instrument that I would by in order to play. "Cute" is better for puppies, babies, and kittens. Even the most playable of these is not exceptional soundwise and this one has had reptile dentistry applied to its neck joint. I might buy something like this to decorate a wall if found at a flea market for $20. Other than that, Sue, walk the other way. You have some excellent mandolins to play. I am sure they each have cuteness in their own way.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I’ll buy cute, if the definition includes the vast array of decorative stuff found on, especially, mandolins. Inlay, rosettes, butterflies and completely decorative use of wood doesn’t count for playability. We don’t see ornament like this in many other types of instruments (electrics and cheap ukuleles excluded); sobriety in design is the rule. It happens that ornamented antique instruments are often connected with actual sonic worth as indicators of build parameters, but we distrust some modern, specifically Asian examples as just vulgarity. Funny thing.
    So if an unusually diminutive mandolin appeals because it is small, I think it’s ok to say it’s cute.
    I do agree that this particular one is a $20 flea market candidate, not worth repair, and hope the Ebay sellers weren’t themselves conned in paying more for it, and if not, are not trying to con a buyer. But a picture of a kitten sleeping in the case….

11. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

I am not saying at all that one should never use the term cute only that in this case it may be only cute with no other redeeming characteristics. Hey I own two cute, adorable, cuddly, dainty, little, petite, piccolo mandolins. See below next to full-size Vega bowlback. Hey, in comparison to our six-string fretted brethren mandolins will always be much cuter and more cuddlier.

Name:	2piccolos_vega.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	202110
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    "Cute" is not the term I would use for any musical instrument that I would by in order to play. "Cute" is better for puppies, babies, and kittens. Even the most playable of these is not exceptional soundwise and this one has had reptile dentistry applied to its neck joint. I might buy something like this to decorate a wall if found at a flea market for $20. Other than that, Sue, walk the other way. You have some excellent mandolins to play. I am sure they each have cuteness in their own way.

Jim, trust me, I have no personal interest in that particular instrument, and I saw the nonstandard alligator lutherie. I just got a huge kick out of the fact that the seller would claim that action like that could be adjusted away. Ha ha, over 1/4" and only a few frets down.

Perhaps it should have been listed in the "Won't get a bid or a buyer" thread rather than extolling it's cuteness

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not saying at all that one should never use the term cute only that in this case it may be only cute with no other redeeming characteristics. Hey I own two cute, adorable, cuddly, dainty, little, petite, piccolo mandolins. See below next to full-size Vega bowlback. Hey, in comparison to our six-string fretted brethren mandolins will always be much cuter and more cuddlier.

Name:	2piccolos_vega.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	202110
    Yup, I think it is the only redeeming characteristic in this case!

I haven't got one, but from what I understand about how you hold one, "cuddly" could potentially be used as an adjective for a bowlback

Ha, ha, thanks for a good laugh at the end of a long day of graphics editing!
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Jul-18-2022 at 6:27pm.

I have a Holdrio Piccolo "pocket" mandolin. Price was right: my great-aunt gave it to me. Top's scuffed up, but has some fun quasi-Ethiopian marquetry on it.

Mine's German-made, but US-labeled, so an import. It has virtually no projection at all. I keep it 'cause I keep stuff, especially instruments. Wish I had the case this one comes in, but not enough to pay over $50 for it.

These are oddities, not really serious instruments for the serious mandolinist. Something to complete a collection, or display as part of a "The Many Wonders of the Mondo Mando" expo. Much different from the Weber "sopranolin," which is a well-made, pro-quality instrument -- although I don't play it often.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

You want cute?? Here's a whole draw of cute pochettes from my visit years ago to the back rooms of the Metropolitan Museum in NYC>

Name:	pochettes_med.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	202356
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: