Thread: Need advice between two guitars.

Default Need advice between two guitars.

I know this is a mandolin forum, and I purchased one recently, but I am new to guitars and wanted some advice. I was able to purchase two guitars at really good prices from amazon and both are in excellent shape. One is a Yamaha FS800 which I got out the door for 165.00 and retails for around 220. The other is a Fender Redondo Player for 250.00 and retails for around 450. Both are in like new condition. Which one would be the smartest one to keep? Honestly, on sound, they both sound very similar and the FS800 sounds slightly louder, which one online review said could be due to the Fender being painted instead of being stained. The Fender has electronic hook-ups where the Yamaha doesn't also, but I don't have an amp or anything so that doesn't really do much for me at the moment. Any guidance would be awesome!

Default Re: Need advice between two guitars.

Keep the one you like best.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

From a resale standpoint if you decide to upgrade anytime in the future I suspect that the Yamaha would have more interested parties rather than the Fender, just something to consider. If it was me I'd keep the Yamaha.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

lenf12srogue 

I'm with Jill. I'd keep the Yamaha, but I'm a fan of their acoustic guitars.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Winn For This Useful Post:

Well, the Redondo does have that iconic Fender headstock with 6 in line tuners but for a good acoustic guitar, I would stick with the Yamaha. Which one sounds better and plays easier? That's the "KEEPER" (for now)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

srogue 

Well, they both have solid tops and laminated sides & back. If the specs I saw online are correct, they both are 1 11/16 at the nut, which is pretty standard, although many folks (me included) prefer something wider, and the Yamaha has a slightly shorter scale at 25" versus 25.6" for the Fender, which can make stretches a little easier. Other than the cosmetics (in line versus traditional headstock, and finish), the other big differences seem to be cutaway versus non - cut, and pickup versus none.

<shrugs> ��

I'd say you got some good advice above: which one sounds better, plays better, do you like better? I do agree that the Yamaha will probably be easier to sell later, if you decide to.
    Last edited by TheMandoKit; Jul-19-2022 at 5:48pm. Reason: Correct error.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

11. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

srogue 

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    From a resale standpoint if you decide to upgrade anytime in the future I suspect that the Yamaha would have more interested parties rather than the Fender, just something to consider. If it was me I'd keep the Yamaha.
    Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I did indeed keep the Yamaha. It seems to have a better reputation, and many seem to think Fender acoustics aren't that great unless you go for their really higher-end lines. Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.

13. The following members say thank you to srogue for this post:

Right choice made. Fender is an iconic name in electric guitars, but their acoustics are nothing special whatsoever-they basically just sell for name recognition. And I wouldn’t go for the higher-priced ones either—you’d just be throwing more money away—as a rule of thumb, you don’t want to buy the high end model of a budget line, the trade-in value will suffer. In short, there’s a reason there was a $200 plus “discount” on the Fender compared to $55 on the Yamaha.

- - - Updated - - -

Fender electric mandos are cool though.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Since you've made your choice, I won't offer a lot of analysis. Fender Redondo has a larger body, and a cutaway to make reaching higher frets somewhat easier. Yamaha is what they term "concert size," slightly smaller, probably a clearer, less bassy sound. I'd speculate that the Yamaha would have superior "fit and finish," more hand-shaping of braces, etc.

You picked the one that suited you better, always a wise decision.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM