Thread: Doug Unger Artist Mandolin (New mandolin to me)

Smile Doug Unger Artist Mandolin (New mandolin to me)

Hi everyone,

Been meaning to post about a new (mandolin) baby for over a week now, but with teaching, gigging, and an 8 month (human) baby, time keeps getting away from me.

Let me start with a quick prologue. Back in 2014, I was about to move to Boston for grad school and I was excited to check out the Music Emporium because I had spent years looking at the instruments on their website. When I first arrived in MA, I saw a really unique mandolin on their site, as did a few folks on the Cafe, because it is mentioned in some older forum boards. It had a subtle, two-point body and the most exquisite inlay I had ever seen. This mandolin was built by Doug Unger of Ohio and I was obsessed with the pictures on TME's page. Unfortunately I never played it as it was gone by the first chance I had to make it to the Music Emporium.

Fast forward to last month and I happened to see the same mandolin back on the market and was able to become its new caretaker. It's taking some getting used to as it has a mandola-like heft to the neck. Even with the larger neck, I find it really comfortable to play as I spend a lot of time playing clawhammer banjo and guitar too. It is really starting to wake up as I get the feeling it hasn't been played a ton over its first decade of life.

Here's a low-fi laptop video of it I was able to make when I student didn't show up for their lesson today. I'm sure I'll make a better video in the future!

Cheers!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarrisonMandolin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Doug Unger Artist Mandolin (New mandolin to me)

I believe that mandolin, if it is the same one, belonged to a friend of mine who passed away a few years back. He was a very famous landscape painter, originally from Gloucester, Mass....who later lived on Monhegan Island for years, and then settled in Exeter, NH. He was a great guy, and quite the talented banjo player too. He had quite a collection of Doug's banjos too.

Enjoy the mandolin.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. If it belonged to your artist friend from Gloucester, MA that is a coincidence because I'm originally from Gloucester in the UK.

I'd say that would be a happy coincidence then.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Congrats and beautiful looks and tone on that mando. Fine picking on Homer the Roamer too. Enjoy!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

9. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

What a fine mandolin! I love it!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

11. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

My friends in Ohio are good friends with Doug who I believe is still around doing art and playing music and maybe even building instruments. I have seen a few of his instruments on sale IIRC at Elderly, Bernunzio or TME.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

That is one great looking and sounding mandolin. I'll have to look for "Homer the Roamer". Very nicely played btw. Thank you!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

15. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really love playing it and feels more and more like home every day. A friend of mine is a former student of Mr. Unger's and gave me his contact info. I hope to reach out to him soon to try to learn more about the mandolin. Here is a picture that does the mandolin much more justice than my previous video. I believe Andy at TME took this picture a few years back Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unger Mandolin Front.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	202136

At the Goldendale Pickers Festival last month there was a player who had one of those and I was thoroughly impressed by it. That thing sang and was clear as a bell and surprisingly loud, given its size. Enjoy it!
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

18. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post: