Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original Bluegrass/Oldtime Tunes in "Bb"

Default Re: Original Bluegrass/Oldtime Tunes in "Bb"

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    What about Johnny June Reel on Kenny Baker's Portrait album (1969). Is that an original?
    Speaking of Kenny Baker, how about Dailey's Reel, Windy City Rag, Missouri Road, Sweet Bunch of Daisies?

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Burtch View Post
    How about “Don’t Give Your Heart (to a Rambler)”
    favourite of mine to play.
    But that is a song, with the key being the singer's choice. Tony Rice did it in Bb but I´m sure Jimmy Martin did it in A. And Jimmie Skinner, who wrote the song, recorded it in F (at least on one occasion). By contrast, the instrumental pieces enumerated here are usually played in one single key. For instance, I've never heard Cheyenne played in any other key than Bb.

If an original tune that slides into Bb for two measures meets your criteria, Wally Traugott's "Snowflake Breakdown" will fill the bill and truly give your guitar player conniption fits the first time you roll through the B-part. Great tune, truly interesting character who wrote it.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

I wouldn't say that it does but I do like that tune a lot. This is one of my favourite versions with Sammy Bush on mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wiz_e4R0oY

What's the story on the author?

Old time Midwest fiddlers love Bb and there are dozens of tunes in the key many of which are pretty challenging. Also East Texas Serenaders main fiddler loved the flat keys even playing a few of their tunes in Eb.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    I wouldn't say that it does but I do like that tune a lot. This is one of my favourite versions with Sammy Bush on mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wiz_e4R0oY

What's the story on the author?
    Wally Traugott was one Canada’s highest paid fiddlers in the 1950’s and 1960’s, but he became disenchanted with the Canadian music scene and record companies. He moved to the US and became a recording engineer, mostly at Capitol records. His skill was highy respected, and you've probably heard his work much more than you'd ever think. From the 1970's through the 1990's he mastered albums for groups like The Beach Boys, Charlie Daniels Band, Beatles re-releases, Boston, Crosby, Stills, & Nash, The Bangles, Dr. Hook, Duran Duran, Iron Maiden, Paul McCartney and Wings, Bob Seger, The Band, Sheena Easton, Sweet, and amongst many, many more, a very un-fiddle album that I for one own, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon."

Just like the Mandolin Cafe covers all your 8 string information needs, there are several large websites covering all things music recording and album production. I got curious about Wally last year, looked him up online, stumbled on those sites, and was quite impressed to see how many folks knew so much about him, but had no inkling he started out as a big-name fiddler.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Ross for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ross View Post
    Wally Traugott was one Canada’s highest paid fiddlers in the 1950’s and 1960’s, but he became disenchanted with the Canadian music scene and record companies. He moved to the US and became a recording engineer, mostly at Capitol records. His skill was highy respected, and you've probably heard his work much more than you'd ever think. From the 1970's through the 1990's he mastered albums for groups like The Beach Boys, Charlie Daniels Band, Beatles re-releases, Boston, Crosby, Stills, & Nash, The Bangles, Dr. Hook, Duran Duran, Iron Maiden, Paul McCartney and Wings, Bob Seger, The Band, Sheena Easton, Sweet, and amongst many, many more, a very un-fiddle album that I for one own, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon."

Just like the Mandolin Cafe covers all your 8 string information needs, there are several large websites covering all things music recording and album production. I got curious about Wally last year, looked him up online, stumbled on those sites, and was quite impressed to see how many folks knew so much about him, but had no inkling he started out as a big-name fiddler.
    That's wild. I knew him as a fiddler but none of the rest of it.