Thread: Mandolin browsing in Hudson Valley, NY

Default Mandolin browsing in Hudson Valley, NY

Is anyone aware of a shop in the Hudson Valley or Catskills that handles good quality vintage mandolins- old Gibsons, Martins, etc. May be heading that way in a few weeks. Thanks
    Early 1954 Gibson F-12
    Lare 1922 Gibson A2 paddlehead
    Late 1963 Gibson A5 Two point
    1950's Stradolin
    ~1918 Weymann Style 30

" Mandolin - good for the mind, good for the body, good for the soul"

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin browsing in Hudson Valley, NY

I'm a little north of that area but not aware of anything substantial down that way. Certainly not anything like Bernunzio's, which looks like it's near you.

I am in the lower Hudson Valley in northern Westchester. The only store that comes sort of close is Jake’s Main Street Music in Beacon. I don’t know of any other music stores that would carry more than a few mandolins, let alone vintage ones. I would be curious to find others. At the moment they have a dozen or so mandolin and a few vintage ones.

Yes, you are lucky to have both Bernunzio’s and Stutzman’s within reasonable driving distance. I have to go NYC to get anything like those places.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Thanks for bringing up Stutzman's, Jim. I knew there was another great shop in that area. I also thought of Jake's in Beacon but the last time I was there it was slim pickins.

Rudy's in Scarsdale has a nice Monteleone. It is about an hour south of the Hudson Valley. Not sure if it would qualify as vintage but it certainly qualifies as good quality.

Thanks folks, I thought for sure there might be something in the woodstock area but had not found anything so thought I would ask.
    I will need to go to Stutzman's some day. Bought an F style mandolin at Bernunzio's about 10 years ago and had a wide variety to play and choose from which sadly no longer seems to be the case, IMHO.