Thread: Shout out to D’Addario

Default Shout out to D’Addario

Put some new Grover tuners on my Eastman MD615. Giving D'Addario XT 11.5's a try. 1st e-string broke at the post (turn 2 or so) when tuning up. Asked D'Addario where to buy singles (via their website). They're sending two sets with their apologies.
    Nice!

Default Re: Shout out to A'Ddaro

Check the tuner posts before you put them on. Sounds like a bit of a rough edge somewhere.

Blog Entries

A similar thing happened to me while tuning up a monel set of D'Addario strings. One of the e strings broke.

I emailed a photo of the string and it's packaging and they sent me two e strings and a full set of J74 monels. Did it all through their website.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Check the tuner posts before you put them on. Sounds like a bit of a rough edge somewhere.
    Yes, I will that.

You might also like to change the way you fit them. For decades, I did it the “traditional” way - push the end through the hole and wind the tuner knob up to pitch. I now wrap the end of the string three or four times round the post (depending upon string thickness), keeping it tight, before pushing the end through the hole and winding the string up to pitch.

This method means that wthe windings take the initial strain rather than the edge of the hole + changing strings is quicker; which can’t be bad!

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

You might also like to change the way you fit them. For decades, I did it the “traditional” way - push the end through the hole and wind the tuner knob up to pitch. I now wrap the end of the string three or four times round the post (depending upon string thickness), keeping it tight, before pushing the end through the hole and winding the string up to pitch.

This method means that wthe windings take the initial strain rather than the edge of the hole + changing strings is quicker; which can’t be bad!
    How do you get the "standard" approach of earliest wrap lowest that way, or don't you feel that's important? On my guitars I use the "Taylor" technique, so the string always hits the tuner post first at the highest point of the wraps.

There might be as many ways to wrap and string as their are pick holds.

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    How do you get the "standard" approach of earliest wrap lowest that way, or don't you feel that's important? On my guitars I use the "Taylor" technique, so the string always hits the tuner post first at the highest point of the wraps.
    With that technique, the first time round the post ends up the lowest but it depends how neatly you can be bothered to do it. Neatly laid wraps might look good but offer little other benefit. Can’t say I’ve ever wanted to own a Taylor guitar never mind accept any stringing advice they might offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckingham View Post
    There might be as many ways to wrap and string as their are pick holds.

Each to their own but it depends how much you hate re-stringing mandolins and that’s the easiest way I’ve ever used. It also avoids working out how much slack you need to leave in order to wind on. Most people in the UK get their butler to do it!

With that technique, the first time round the post ends up the lowest but it depends how neatly you can be bothered to do it. Neatly laid wraps might look good but offer little other benefit. Can’t say I’ve ever wanted to own a Taylor guitar never mind accept any stringing advice they might offer!
    Sentence 1, OK. Sentence 2, OK. Sentence 3, valueless snark.

Default Re: Shout out to D’Addario

Two full sets of XT's arrived today. Woo Hoo!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Shout out to D’Addario

Fortunately I've never had any issues of this nature, nor any other, with D'Addario strings during the fifty years I've been using them. It's heartening to learn they are that proactive on customer satisfaction and standing behind their products.

As to winding strings on the posts ... My method is probably unique though similar to others'. What I do is put the string through the hole in the post, pull it all the way through, and then bring the string back about an inch and a half, or ~3cm, and begin winding at that point. The idea is to use just two turns of the post to anchor the string. Then I move the length of the string under the extended section, and wind merrily away. The reason for doing this is that thus the string will cross over itself somewhere in this winding. It's akin to putting a clove hitch in there. It makes a firm anchor every time. I've always shied away from using more windings, assuming that could create more opportunity for slippage. I realize that may be completely unfounded, but that's how I reasoned this from the start, when I didn't know anyone else who played mandolin (heck, even anyone who knew what one was), and had to figure everything out myself, and I've never felt a need to change. It ain't broke, so I don't fix it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!