Thread: Tone differences between Yellowstone A and Yellowstone 2 point.

Default Tone differences between Yellowstone A and Yellowstone 2 point.

Any significant tone differences between an A model and the two point instruments of comparable builds? Compare the Weber Yellowstone in the two configurations. And if you compare the A model ,two point and the F model? More bark to the F?
    Thanks
    Colemole

Big Muddy MM-8 , Silverangel F5, Collings MT
    Red Valley EM, Silverangel Econo A ,Eastman MD505

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tone differences between Yellowstone A and Yellowstone 2 poin

I currently have the three Weber models you mention. The A and F are very similar sounding. If you have played a Weber, you know they all seem mellow in comparison to, say, a Collings. But they still sparkle. I would call them excellent versatile instruments with good bluegrass capabilities - not optimized for bluegrass at the expense of other genres. The y'stone 2-pointer has the Weber sound but quite punchy. I think the difference is in the sustain.

I would caution that I don't know the generally accepted vocabulary for describing mandolin sounds so the above is just my my attempt to describe what I hear. And this is just based on my three yellowstones, the only 3 I have ever played or listened to.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Tone differences between Yellowstone A and Yellowstone 2 poin

Bruce Weber told me that his 2 point has the largest resonating capacity of all of his mandolins. I agree with HonkeyHank, they are mellower than Collings. I really like their oval hole mandolins a lot.