Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

Default Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

I can't imagine Bill playing a mandolin with a ducks head sort of scroll.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

@ Mr. Bear et al: No, I think the OP could easily feel he’s been mocked. One can only take witty chances with those we know well. To the second point: I imagine he wasn’t keen to go back and check out that find after being given the assessments, sober or not. Therefore has no need to even say thanks.

And, since you have an interest, I can assure you that illiteracy in America is no longer the province of any particular underclass, or even regions, but is now universal, worsened by the very technology that we thought remedial.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I don't think the misspellings we see so often these days are caused by illiteracy as much as a sort of sloppiness bred by an overwhelming tendency to text quickly. Which is something I don't understand - are people really in such a rush, so pressed for time, that they favor speed over accuracy, velocity over veracity? It seems much more important for what one says to be understood - spelling is key in this - than received ASAP. I weigh my words and check the spelling, punctuation, etc., before posting. And I have no problem with going back and editing if I see I've erred. I may not be in the majority on this, but ... I should be.

Meanwhile, I've grown to be forgiving when faced with so many textual errors on a regular basis. As long as I can deduce what was meant, I let them slide. I had to draw the line at such an egregious misspelling of our beloved music maker, though. But I do understand how such things happen - I blame spell check, and the general reliance on it, which leads to not checking spell check. We can do better.

OK, my turn on the soapbox is over. Next!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I don't think the misspellings we see so often these days are caused by illiteracy as much as a sort of sloppiness bred by an overwhelming tendency to text quickly.
    Also our reliance on the spellchecker and/or autocorrect features. Or, as my loving and long-suffering spouse and I call it, "auto-incorrect." 🤷🏻

Carry on.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

7. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, autocorrect. Meant to include that in my rant. Relying on these apps way too much leads to ... OK, I'm repeating myself. I love that "auto-incorrect." Sadly, too true.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I use the microphone to text, it often types different words. Too small of a keyboard and much simpler to talk than type. I have also, when I remember to read the text to check for said errors, seen the phone change the text after I hit send. Some of the texts mistakes can be simply the phone and not the person.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Well, perhaps I should be careful; 'tis not my Cafe role to give etiquette tips (that's the moderators' job). However, I sometimes wonder if we get a little carried away by our own expertise, and gift for clever repartee, to the point where it seems we're making fun of what (I guess) is a serious inquiry from a mandolin "newbie" -- who may think they've found the Holy Grail of valuable mandolins, because somehow the labels "Gibson" and "Bill Monroe" have been attached to it for no apparent good reason.

Can't say what amount of "joshing" is inordinate, and agree that the OP, who left 11 days ago with a promise to give us the builder's name, should check back in with whatever they found. But I stand by my opinion expressed above: I'd like to hope we'd do our best not to make fun of either the instrument, or the Cafe member asking about it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Oh, no worries. You have a right to your opinion, as do we all, and it's good to b e reminded now and then to mind what we say, because it's easy enough to get carried away with the repartée. We can be very clever indeed. As I did tell the OP, we are generally harmless.

Anywho, I'm checking out. I think this has been done to a turn, and until we hear more about the instrument and/or see the case, there's not much more to be said. I remain somewhat curious, but my attention will be directed elsewhere. I'm taking off for a much-needed vacation, which will involve lots of driving and visiting and recording and (hopefully) recovering of instruments from luthier. Maybe a show by Little Feat, and even Lucinda Williams. So things might be quiet from my parts for a while as the bear is journeying. That may be a good thing.

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Apologize for taking so long about getting back to the thread but I've been trying to get the information that's inside the Mandolin it's just been hard getting in touch with person that put it up and it's been so long ago since I looked at I can't really remember he's supposed to be sending me pictures of the inside of the mandolin so hopefully I will have them posted shortly along with some pictures of the case I'm hoping that will help with finding out the history of it I have studied up some on mandolin and I agree it's probably not a gibson it almost looks like someone made it to poke fun as to what 23 would look like after being restored maybe that is why the inlay likes that way anyway I'm very interested what If any information comes up and I don't think anyone has been our of line also found the misspelled words to be entertaining after they were pointed out I should really proofread with the voice into text

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N2deep4u2b.jj For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good to hear from you! Glad you took our joshing in stride. Just so you know, it just can't be a Gibson. That scroll coming to a point is not Gibson style. There are plenty other aspects as well, as have been pointed out, but that's an obvious one. That doesn't mean it might not be a fine instrument in its own way, just not a Gibson.

And now, with a clear conscience, I can head on down the road. As soon as I finish prep and packing and all, of course.

Can we set up a Kickstarter to buy the OP some punctuation marks?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls