Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitarist looking for a Weber

Default Re: Guitarist looking for a Weber

Good one, hope you enjoy it.

For the inquiring minds who want to know. The Bitterroot arrived today. I’m quite pleased. It sounds terrific, very smooth , sweet. I’m not proficient at all yet so I can’t judge responsiveness. My guess though, is that it is. You don’t have to pick hard and it lets you know it’s there. Nicely balanced lows to highs and up the neck and against open strings. It’s comfortable. Much more so than the beginner model that persuaded me to buy this one. The action seems about the same but the Weber is much easier to play. There is less tension so fingering is easier. Not sure how that is.
    The fit n finish are very good, though in the 9 months or so the previous owner had it he managed to not be as kind as he could have been. Nevertheless, I know I’ll be very happy with this for a long time to come.
    Thanks again everyone for your guidance!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Bellino For This Useful Post:

David, glad it worked out. I think you are going to have a lot of fun with it.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by David Bellino View Post
    ... the Goodall with a 4A Master top is is the most responsive instrument I’ve ever played- the clarity of the maple warmed by the cedar is a joy and my favorite.
    As soon as I read that, I had a feeling that the Bitterroot was going to work well for you! As a bonus, if that mando sat unplayed for a while at TMS, you may find it getting even a little more responsive after you play it for a while at first.

I'm also not surprised that TMS was so good to work with. Seriously, although Guitar Center regularly gets negative comments (especially for set-up) here, the major independent stores consistently get great reviews for set-up, communication, and shipping. They've been regularly dealing with customers long distance --- whether in or out of the boonies --- for a decade or two or five, so they know how to smoothly overcome the obstacles of those transactions, and to make you want to come back for more.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Yes, instruments enjoy being played. They stiffen up when not played and it doesn’t take to long for it to happen. The warm up time Depends on the instrument. I just picked up the Goodall first time in a couple of weeks (I’d been playing others plus the mando). I was in for a surprise. My close friend was mad at me.
    As for guitar center, not to take anything away from the folks working there but it a churn and burn joint. No one is at the top of their game like in a small store that really likes what it does for it’s patrons. They depend on the good will for repeat business. Building relationships is what they do best. Info is as much a part of the sale happening as is the instrument. I’d seen TMS on line but it was you guys saying they were trustworthy that allowed me to know they could be like the other shops I have relationships with. And they were.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Bellino For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F114C12B-BD53-427D-A8CB-933D681AFF18.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	479.6 KB 
ID:	202439
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22E71FB3-EE37-4960-A91C-4A1DE4C69B19.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	202440
    So, to my great disappointment here is what I found. Splits beginning at the nut on both sides. I consulted Marty Jacobson and his feeling was like mine. It is split across the neck. Back it goes.

I'm sorry. I know how disappointing this is.

Bummer, did that occur during shipping?
    Charley

No. There were 2 pics sent to me. One was a defect in the binding or binding finish on the low side. The high side had a pic but it seemed like a finish flaw and was not in focus. James was surprised he didn’t catch it. He was sending the pics to Dennis. I’m waiting for a shipping resolution since it isn’t that I didn’t like the instrument.
    I was told it would be $5-600 to repair. I can’t believe the original owner hadn’t seen it unless he’s got old eyes/bad eyes like mine. It should have been sent in as a manufacturer defect. Now it’s too late for that. Marty did think it could have fallen on the headstock, but there is zero evidence of that. Could have fallen on a rug, I suppose.

I received a call from Dennis at The Mandolin Store. He was extremely apologetic. He’d never seen the instrument as he was away on vacation. He’s picking up shipping both was, so no charge to me at all. No harm, no foul. We start with a clean slate. Mistakes happen.
    The hunt begins again. I’m hoping to hear back from the fellow selling the Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bellino View Post
    I received a call from Dennis at The Mandolin Store. He was extremely apologetic. He’d never seen the instrument as he was away on vacation. He’s picking up shipping both was, so no charge to me at all. No harm, no foul. We start with a clean slate. Mistakes happen.
    The hunt begins again. I’m hoping to hear back from the fellow selling the Big Sky.
    And that's why the Mandolin Store has such a great reputation!

Seriously, though, I agree with Charley that the damage probably occurred during shipping somewhere along the line. I'd be astounded if something more than a flesh wound occurred at TMS or any major U.S. independent music store. Even though that Bitterroot was built as Two Old Hippies was shutting down the Weber production line, I'd still be surprised if an instrument in that condition was cleared by their quality control.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

There is this F-5 with a redwood top from Skip Kelley...

https://lowevintage.com/item/mandolins-kelley/f-5-10/

Skip builds a great mandolin and is a heck of a nice guy to talk to. He is also a member of the Cafe.
    Charley

That's a sweet version of East Tennessee Blues in the Lowe vintage add. Mandolin sounds great too.

Adam

16. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Thread bump. It seems David had some bad luck finding a mandolin to his satisfaction but this Silverangle hit the classifieds today...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/194015#194015

NFI
    Charley

Thanks, Charles. I had gotten a beautiful Weber Yellowstone. Plays n sounds great.

19. The following members say thank you to David Bellino for this post:

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the classifieds.>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Oct-07-2022 at 6:23pm.

The OP has already bought a mandolin, any postings of instruments for sale need to be listed in the classifieds.
    Charley

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

xxx
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)