Thread: Bone blank for saddle on an OM?

Default Bone blank for saddle on an OM?

Hi guys, thanks for being here!!!

Ok, quick question. I want to buy a bone blank to replace the saddle that came on an OM I recently bought. However I'm not sure where to get it or what type. Guitar saddle blanks look too thin, like they will not fit. Saw a guy on youtube use a bass ukulele saddle. However I'm not finding anywhere to buy these online. Would a guitar nut work? I was wondering if anyone has suggestions here, thanks!

Default Re: Bone blank for saddle on an OM?

Quote Originally Posted by ray.kioti View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for being here!!!

Ok, quick question. I want to buy a bone blank to replace the saddle that came on an OM I recently bought. However I'm not sure where to get it or what type. Guitar saddle blanks look too thin, like they will not fit. Saw a guy on youtube use a bass ukulele saddle. However I'm not finding anywhere to buy these online. Would a guitar nut work? I was wondering if anyone has suggestions here, thanks!
    Jerry Rosa of Rosa Stringworks makes nice antler mandolin saddles perhaps he’d be willing to make one for your OM.

Teacher, repair person

Available in a variety of sizes from several luthier's supply houses. Buy two in case you mess one up. The shipping will cost more than the saddle.
    Check Luthiers' Mercantile and Allied Lutherie first. Also Stew-mac, but they overcharge.

You need to be more specific and measure the current saddle. Classical guitar saddles are generally thicker if that's what you need, while a nut blank I would expect not to be long enough. But like I said, measurements will be needed

Whatever happened to boiling bones from the butchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Whatever happened to boiling bones from the butchers?
    There are a lot of dogs out there just doing their jobs making sure bones are clean.
    Why would we put them out of work?
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

7. The following members say thank you to sounds_good for this post: