Thread: Evening Prayer Blues

Default Evening Prayer Blues

I'm trying my hand at learning by ear. I slowed down Evening Prayer Blues. This is what I got.

https://youtube.com/shorts/kowDfctvWOw?feature=share

Default Re: Evening Prayer Blues

I know Compton and Long do a great double mandolin version on the "Stomp" recording,
    Darol Anger does a version with Celtic harp and Cello and stuff - probably not what you are looking for.
    A lot of folks have recorded this Bill Monroe classic
    E.P.B. makes heavy use of the G pentatonic blues scale and G arpeggio (with the flattened 3rd), and G double stops.
    So maybe going through G major scale, G blues scale and trying some G arpeggio and G double stops in multiple places will help develop tools to play this song in its very "spiritual" context.
    Sounds like you are making good progress, I couldn't see the right hand so well, but I would try and watch other players ( who sound good to you) and focus on the right hand technique or try and individual lesson ( video lessons are fine).
    As for your other post of "where am I" ( hard to tell with just one experience) I would say "advanced beginner" or "Early Novice"- but don't be too self conscious about that, if you like to play mandolin, keep on doing just that.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"