Thread: 97 Nasca Octave Mandolin

Default 97 Nasca Octave Mandolin

Here is my 1997 octave mandolin made by George Nasca. Has anyone ever seen anything else by this maker? I love it and would like to hear some more about the maker and if he made any other mandolin family instruments.
    Side note, I played this on one track of a Will Oldham/Bonny Prince Billy record years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_8233.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	202337  

2. The following members say thank you to thirdposition for this post:

Default Re: 97 Nasca Octave Mandolin

Catmandu2 who posts here, mentions a mandola by George at this link. Maybe he will chime in here?

Also, on Martin Stillion's site, emando.com there is a page about the maker who is seems lives not too far from me in the Hudson Valley, NY.

Is this where you got yours? see video?

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

"Side note, I played this on one track of a Will Oldham/Bonny Prince Billy record years ago."
    Cool OM. Which track did you play it on?

Yes, that is my octave mandolin in the YouTube video above. I purchased it from Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY. In fact the person showing off the instrument is an amazing Louisville musician that plays banjo and electric guitar.
    The Will Oldham/Bonny Prince Billy song I play rhythm on is called Rider from a live album we made called Funtown Comedown. Here is a YouTube recording which starts out with the OM. https://youtu.be/KytTDHAUSgI or https://youtu.be/KytTDHAUSgI

That's a great looking archtop!!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Yes! You are spot on. That is my OM in the video and the emando site has the same name of George Nasca from NY state. Good work. I learned he made at least one electric 4 string. Thanks.

I just saw this thread.
    I''m the Nasca who made the Octave mandolin you're discussing.
    I build Mandolins, Guitars & ukulele's as a hobby; and over the years I've sold a small number of mandolin family instruments. For the most part, they're 'One-Offs' that I build when I get an idea or desire to play an instrument I don't currently have.

It's great to see that the Octave mandolin is being enjoyed by someone.
    George

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George A For This Useful Post:

Its a very elegant design. Thanks for chiming in. I would love to see some pics of your other "one offs" just for kicks.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

I am so happy to see your response George. The octave mandolin is currently with my local luthier Barney’s Guitar Service in Louisville, Kentucky. I am getting a bone nut made to replace the plastic one. And some cracks repaired. I truly love that instrument and I hate having it out of my house and hands, (I want to be playing Christmas music on it with my kids.)I think that is one of the earliest arch top octave mandolins I have seen. What gave you the idea? I would also love to see anything else you made.

I enjoyed one of George's mandolas - yes Jim posted it. It was all blonde and I miss her. Nice work