Thread: Kenny Baker

Default Kenny Baker

Good Fiddler Magazine article on Kenny Baker, recalling Roy Hall and his Blue Ridge Entertainers, one of the lost Bluegrass pioneers

http://www.fiddle.com/_mndata/fiddle...lerWin9495.pdf

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artis...x.php?id=13777
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Kenny Baker

Butch Robins has posted some youtube video of his days with the Blue Grass Boys when Mr. Baker was with them.
    I watched about 5 minutes, and didn't want to go near my fiddle for a long time afterwards.
    Mr. Baker made the extremely difficult look effortless. He was possibly the best we've ever had.
    Warning to all itinerant fiddlers: If you watch any of this footage, you might find yourselves wanting to give it up for good.

He was also an accomplished guitar player. He recorded an album with Josh Graves in the early 70's...

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Mr. Baker made the extremely difficult look effortless. He was possibly the best we've ever had.
    Warning to all itinerant fiddlers: If you watch any of this footage, you might find yourselves wanting to give it up for good.
    Agreed, I also keep KB as the ultimate goal and though I have no illusions to be 1% as good as he was, he still gives me something to aim for. I saw with Bill Monroe a few times and he definitely made it look easy and boy it wasn't! Beautiful and powerful playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love his waltz playing (and he played a lot of them). It has universal appeal even for those who don't like bluegrass. In fact I'd say KB is one of those musicians who transcends style and genre.
    Bren

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Very enjoyable read, Fretbear.

Thanks for posting.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

K.B . . . . I listen and the more I learn the more I hear and . . . I started with fiddle at the same age as K.B. recorded Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. So ever "catching up" is well beyond me ... yet I persevere. K.B.'s fiddling is accessible to my ear, though I do have two, and I continue learning. Judicious use of The Amazing Slowdowner and a Dick and Jane level of notation reading keeps me going. Play on friends. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

His quote, "Well that's the way I *blank* heard it." Tells me he was an intuitive, instinctive player, with an ear that was extraordinary.
    IOW, if ha played what he heard, he heard tunes, in a way, dare I say, better than most anyone.
    I know this is a mandolin site, but one can't listen to KB and get his bowing, it must be seen. Blows my mind.

He grew up in a family of fiddlers. I have a recording from a jam session at his brother's house. Everyone on that recording is a good fiddler. That helps growing up with it.

I had a couple of his LPs. Frost On The Pumpkin was a really great record.
    David A. Gordon

I LOVE that album, “Something Different” and “Bucktime” are really great showpieces for Kenny’s unending talent.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett