Thread: Another pick-hold question..

Default Another pick-hold question..

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum and there are lots of vids/tutorials on the subject (I've seen them all) but I have a specific sub-question.

As with my guitar pick grip I've always held the pick with two fingers between the side of my index finger at the first joint and thumb.

My question is what to do with the other three fingers. With my guitar pick grip I let them extend down but I notice most mando players curl them under so I'm wondering what the advantages are?

Default Re: Another pick-hold question..

I’ve had those other three fingers removed since they are completely unnecessary.

I have seen a lot of players curl them under, but also others just let them hang. Some folks also plant their pinky o even ring finger on the pickguard or the top of the instrument. That is how you get that lovely corrugated loom on the tops of old well-played mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'm having a hard time visualizing (and trying out) what you're talking about when you say "let them hang down." I just tried that and it seems really unnatural. The short answer is that it gets them out of the way (probably even more important on guitar... more strings/wider spacing), and that it feels natural/comfortable (basically a modified loose/relaxed fist).

4. The following members say thank you to Caberguy for this post:

Mine stick out straight but a little bent, like I'm making the OK sign.

I say do what ever feels comfortable to you. I do both, but mostly let them hang down. I don't plant on the pickguard, but let then slide on it, it helps with control for me. One mandolin has no pickguard so I do both on that one.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I prefer the closed right hand for tone, clarity, speed, and it’s the most comfortable for me. It took a little while for it to feel completely natural because I had to totally change what I was doing before, due to discomfort and tension. But I’m so happy I made the change! So, with the fingers curled in but not touching the palm.

I prefer to keep my hand closed but not clenched like making a fist or anything. I can't imagine having the same control if I let my fingers hang down. However, there are some great players who don't close their hand. Find what works for you and try that.

9. The following members say thank you to MandoRock65 for this post:

I like some violin teacher's bow grip advice: Let your hand hang down (palm facing the ground) as relaxed as possible, and only move index & thumb as far as necessary to not drop the pick. The other fingers just stay in the relaxed, slightly bent position. No need to stretch or curl them IMHO.

11. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

M. Stangeland lists some 17 techniques on mandozine.com, but basically they fall into two groups. With a pickguard the most common technique seems to be brushing the guard with loosely curled fingers. Without a guard: brushing the strings lightly behind the bridge (check Mike Marshall's d'Addario video), possibly with more tightly curled fingers. Planting or splayed-out fingers is relatively rare.

https://mandozine.com/techniques/rig...righthand.html

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    M. Stangeland lists some 17 techniques on mandozine.com, but basically they fall into two groups. With a pickguard the most common technique seems to be brushing the guard with loosely curled fingers. Without a guard: brushing the strings lightly behind the bridge (check Mike Marshall's d'Addario video), possibly with more tightly curled fingers. Planting or splayed-out fingers is relatively rare.

https://mandozine.com/techniques/rig...righthand.html
    Interesting article - but it's pretty much oriented to players in a few genres, not much about classical, Italian or other style players.