Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bluegrass Mandolin for a Newbie

Default Re: Bluegrass Mandolin for a Newbie

Ok I ordered the km250. Can’t wait. They didn’t have any gig bags or hard cases in so I need to find one. Thomann have a universal ABS one for Mandolins (suitable for a and f styles) that looks good for £45. Glarry do one for a similar price…any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Yamaholic; Aug-07-2022 at 9:26am.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaholic View Post
    Ok I ordered the km250. Can’t wait. They didn’t have any gig bags or hard cases in so I need to find one. Thomann have a universal ABS one for Mandolins (suitable for a and f styles) that looks good for £45. Glarry do one for a similar price…any other suggestions?
    It may look good for £45 but don’t forget to add shipping, VAT, carriers fees and hassle. There should be plenty of A style cases available - it’ll even fit in an F style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    It may look good for £45 but don’t forget to add shipping, VAT, carriers fees and hassle. There should be plenty of A style cases available - it’ll even fit in an F style.
    Ok £53 if you include shipping. Shipping anything from the EU under £135 is straightforward

Ok £53 if you include shipping. Shipping anything from the EU under £135 is straightforward
    Are Thoman now sorting the VAT side out for under £135 invoices? Most companies I’ve come across since brexit are either leaving it to the purchaser - i.e. you get a bill from the shipment company fot VAT and their charges - or have simply stopped supplying goods to the UK - e.g. Tonegard (you may not have heard of them but others will understandj.

Yes They are. I bought a guitar stand off them In June and a few other bits. Took 2 weeks to be delivered but no additional duty or vat to be paid.

I bought an ABS case from Eagle Music in Huddersfield quite a few years ago, great case and good value, it takes either an A or F mandolin.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I bought an ABS case from Eagle Music in Huddersfield quite a few years ago, great case and good value, it takes either an A or F mandolin.

Dave H
    I managed to find a hard foam TKL a/f case for £35 from a shop in Manc. Considering the price of the Mandolin (£275) I think thats about right

I managed to find a hard foam TKL a/f case for £35 from a shop in Manc. Considering the price of the Mandolin (£275) I think thats about right
    A rare beast indeed. (A music shop in Manchester that is!)

Oh great and the shop that is selling the Mandolin just pulled out of the sale on me. They started the setup and realised that the fretwork was too big a job. After telling me that it was functionally sound and would be a great player and taking my money
    Thats really bad form, wont be touching them again - Project Music in Exeter.

The search continues.......

All this is sound advice, even when there are exact opposites
    The thing is Bluegrass can be played on a traditional sounding, or
    A modern sounding mandolin; on an A style or a F style; with a guitar
    Pick or a 1/4 inch pick; even on a Matt finish or a glossy sheen.
    Bluegrass is DRIVE, not speed DRIVE!!!There is a jazz song “it don’t mean
    mean a thing if it don’t have that swing.” Stealing that thought I say
    “You can bet your little ass, whiteout drive it just ain’t grass”.

I've stumbled upon a Kentucky km630, used. Serial number 09070803. Looks to be a Saga chinese made one. Are these all solid. Seller wants £400, any thoughts ?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Kentucky mandolins are usually a good value and crafted of good materials for a learning student. Keep in mind that the setup on a mandolin is paramount. There is a free setup manual available here on The Cafe. Enjoy the journey. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Managed to order a km252 at a good price new from Hobgoblin. Hopefully this will be a better experience.

Jeepers this is hard work.

The Kentucky 252 turned up with the filthiest strings i've ever seen. Action was too high and the intonation was slightly flat.
    Shop i bought it from very apologetic (their sister shop sent it, blah, blah) and have taken it back and will provide a replacement. In fairness it didn't play that bad, if they do a proper setup, put new strings on it and give it a wipe with a cloth it would be fine.

In the meantime i ordered the Eastman MD-415 i saw on special as well. The shop i ordered that from opened the box to do a setup on it and noticed a big chip in the headstock, it looked horrendous. So now they've offered me an Eastman MD515 for the same price, which happens to be the same price as a stock MD315.

I can return both Mandolins within 14 days so lets see where this lands ............... This is much harder work than buying a guitar !!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Budget £$600; that would get me an Eastman MD305, which looks like a cracking instrument, but not sure its quite the sound i'm after.
    Solid spruce top, solid maple back & sides, F holes, that sounds like a bluegrass mandolin to me. It's an A style, not an F style, so no scroll. Perhaps in your head it doesn't look the part of a bluegrass mandolin without a scroll.

You'll pay about £150 pounds to get that scroll on the side (that would be the Eastman MD315). Some people say they can hear a difference. I'm gonna rattle some cages when I say this, but IMO the only difference is £150 pounds and a decoration on the side.

Please don't think I'm berating you. I paid that much or more to get a AAA flame maple top on my Les Paul when I could have had a regular maple cap for less, and a Gold Top for less than that. So I totally get it, the heart wants what the heart wants.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Ok I ordered the km250.
    Ah! I play a KM-250. Nice little instrument. And at the pace my skills are progressing I imagine it will be quite some time before I outgrow it.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.