Thread: Pilgrim Mandolas

Default Pilgrim Mandolas

Has anyone ever tried a Pilgrim mandola? I found one on Reverb for a great price, but know nothing about them. Thanks!

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Pilgrim Mandolas

They appear to be a line of budget instruments, mostly distributed in the UK, and probably built somewhere in Asia.
    I haven't personally seen one.

I'd always assumed that the Pilgrim mandola was a rebranded Trinity College TM-275, given the identical body, oval soundhole shape and faux-"bone" button on the back at the heel of the neck.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I’ve never played one of their mandolas, but did check out a couple of Pilgrim mandolins in a store a few years back. Definitely the budget end of the market.

By the way, I'd instrad keep my eyes open for a used mandola from Big Muddy or Mid Missouri (name changed, but same company). Much better playing and sounding for the price.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    By the way, I'd instrad keep my eyes open for a used mandola from Big Muddy or Mid Missouri (name changed, but same company). Much better playing and sounding for the price.

I have a Big Muddy mandolin and love it. Good idea about the used one. Thanks! I have never played the mandola but would like to learn.