Thread: Jams and Music Stores in/around Boone, NC?

Default Jams and Music Stores in/around Boone, NC?

I知 heading up to Boone, NC from the SC Lowcountry this weekend. I値l be getting to town too late on Thursday evening for the Jones House OT Jam. Any other jams or fun music times not to miss in the NC High Country? Any good music shops with a good selection of Mandolins? If not in Boone, I値l be passing through/near Charlotte, Winston Salem and Greensboro area. In the market for an upgrade from my Northfield F5S and there are no test drive options in my area. Thanks!

Now to hijack my own thread with non-mando content. Also looking for any good recommendations for things to do. I致e only been to the area in winter. Would love any suggestions for scrambling up mountains, getting lost in the woods and floating down rivers. Good IPA and food suggestions a plus.

Default Re: Jams and Music Stores in/around Boone, NC?

An upgrade from your Northfield F5S? .......Wow.

That is everything that I aspire to have. I simply cannot imagine anything else in the universe.

There is a good music store in West Jefferson which is a few miles outside of Boone. I don't recall the name of the store, but it is almost all acoustic instruments, and the owner is also a builder and restoration guy with tons of knowledge. Also, Wayne Henderson builds his fantastic instruments (guitars and mandolins) in his factory-shop in the Bonne area and a visit is an exciting experience. If you're not familiar with Henderson guitars, you can check him out on YouTube.

Mobile app edit. Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Todd View Post
    I felt the same way, but now I think I need (Read: want) a Northfield Gen 4.
    WHOA!

I want to be like you when I grow up.

If you're after a 4th Gen, just order it from NF. You won't be disappointed. F5S are great and I own one too, but the 4th Gen is a beast and NF has a pretty high level of consistency.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

There used to be a small shop called Appalachian Music or something like that in a small strip mall, but I haven't been to Boone since before the pandemic.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckingham View Post
    There used to be a small shop called Appalachian Music or something like that in a small strip mall, but I haven't been to Boone since before the pandemic.
    I bought a wonderful Larrivee guitar from them about 20 years ago. According to Facebook they put the store up for sale in 2021 and Google says permanently closed.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Had a great trip up to the NC High Country. Spent some time getting lost in the woods, climbing mountains, floating rivers and picking mando around the fire. Caught a few street musicians playing downtown but not much else. Very surprised there aren't a whole lot of music store options in the area, including Wilkesboro. You would think in the land of MerleFest a guy would be able to pick up a nice pre-war mando on the cheap. Thanks for the info on the 4th gen Drew, I sent you a reply message, not sure it went through. I suck at the MC message system.

Hey, if you're doing that trip again in the coming years wait a few days and head up to Galax Fiddlers Convention. The largest collection of red hot bluegrass and oldtime pickers and singers on the planet! And instruments for sale too.

Cheers,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

13. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post: