Thread: LIVE Unboxing of Gibson Mandolins

Default LIVE Unboxing of Gibson Mandolins

i like watching these guys, looks like a nice shop as well.

would have enjoyed being there to take in the "aroma" as each case was opened.
    i truly adore my F9, they have such a woody old style tone, look and feel great in the hand.

i'm going to look around, surely they did video of that old Gibson he mentioned in this video-if i find it, or anyone out there finds it, please post it here for us to enjoy.

thank you
    d

https://youtu.be/QkdYu9DnPaE

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: LIVE Unboxing of Gibson Mandolins

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. The fellow is pretty enthusiastic, eh? As well he should be.

The F9 was fine. But then he brought out the F5G, with that lovely gloss finish and stunning figure in the back. And the sound was just - there. And then there was the Fern. Lawdamercy! What a fine instrument. These are going to bring some folks a whole lot of good times.

Interesting to see that they all were shipped tuned - and pretty goshdarned on pitch, to my ears. Perhaps this will settle that question once and for all - whether to slacken the strings for shipping. Perhaps. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of 100% agreement around here on most matters. But at least I think we'll get a high degree of concurrence about the beauty and quality of these instruments.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The sound starts around the 10 minute mark. Wow this is cool!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

I really enjoyed the Gibson mandolin history presentation. I wish it was another hour and half longer :D.

The Acoustic Shoppe's Youtube channel is really fun. They also put on ~20 minute shows/skits that include musical guests. They ran one with David Harvey where they showed off a very cool mandolin/mandola/mandocello trio: https://youtu.be/dmUJ8AsO3vU?t=889

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Interesting to see that they all were shipped tuned - and pretty goshdarned on pitch, to my ears. Perhaps this will settle that question once and for all - whether to slacken the strings for shipping..
    These weren't shipped. Around timestamp 8:20, he mentions that David Harvey hand delivered them.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joh For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Aha! Missed that. My bad. Probably too busy ogling that Fern. Thanks for the correction. Though now the debate will continue ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    The mandolin carved by Orville Gibson makes its appearance at about 17:30. Tune played on it starting at about 27:30.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post

thanks for posting this, i didn't have time to dig it out, it is very cool!
    d

I bought my Brentrup F5 from the folks at the Acoustic Shoppe. Easy to work with and very responsive and knowledgeable. NFI but highly recommended.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post: