Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Devastating floods in Kentucky

  1. #1
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Devastating floods in Kentucky

    The images coming out of Eastern Kentucky truly are heart wrenching. In our local paper yesterday, there was a photo of Paul Williams, an instructor at the Appalachian School Of Luthiery, surveying the damage to the shop.

    I was wondering if John Hamlett was impacted as well?
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  2. #2
    Registered User sunburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    The images coming out of Eastern Kentucky truly are heart wrenching. In our local paper yesterday, there was a photo of Paul Williams, an instructor at the Appalachian School Of Luthiery, surveying the damage to the shop.

    I was wondering if John Hamlett was impacted as well?
    Not directly, but I've spent a couple of days in Hindman slogging through the mud trying to save as much as we can from the school of lutherie and Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Company. 3 of the luthiers at Troublesome Creek are now homeless. The place is a mess. I'll be helping to try to get things running so they don't loose their jobs as well as their homes.
    We're all pretty tired of the photos and videos from the area, but if I can get my iphone to transfer images to my computer (It's being stubborn) I have instrument related disaster photos.

  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Glad to hear you are safe John. I am sure the folks at the school appreciate your help and expertise.
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  5. #4
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    3,573

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Be safe! You're doing the work of an angel.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Not directly, but I've spent a couple of days in Hindman slogging through the mud trying to save as much as we can from the school of lutherie and Troublesome Creek Stringed Instrument Company. 3 of the luthiers at Troublesome Creek are now homeless. The place is a mess. I'll be helping to try to get things running so they don't loose their jobs as well as their homes.
    We're all pretty tired of the photos and videos from the area, but if I can get my iphone to transfer images to my computer (It's being stubborn) I have instrument related disaster photos.
    John, Are you aware of anyplace folks might be able to send something to help out?

  7. #6
    Registered User sunburst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Bob View Post
    John, Are you aware of anyplace folks might be able to send something to help out?
    Michael Johnathon (of Woodsongs Old-Time Radio Hour) has started another instrument donation drive (as he did for the Western KY tornado victims).https://www.woodsongs.com/flood/ That is the most specific thing I know of.
    Saw lots of truck and trailer loads of drinking water on the road and on the ground. Otherwise the usual red cross and such.

    Here's a quick look at the Troublesome Creek factory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flood.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	202470

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Teacher, repair person
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southeast Tennessee
    Posts
    3,310

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    I'm sure they need food, fresh water, clothing, blankets, towels, toothpaste and soap, and medicine.
    From what I've been able to gather, it may be some days before everybody is accounted for and they know how many people were lost.
    John, wear your boots and pull your socks up over the cuffs of your pants, and wear a long sleeve shirt. I'm sure that mud is loaded with varmints.
    Last edited by rcc56; Aug-04-2022 at 1:21am.

  10. #8
    Registered User Sue Rieter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Thanks for that link, John. For those at a distance who want to help, they are accepting cash donations to help with the instrument drive, and there is a link from their site to the state relief effort.

    I am keeping the whole area and it's people in my prayers.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

  11. #9
    Mando accumulator allenhopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester NY 14610
    Posts
    17,353

    Default Re: Devastating floods in Kentucky

    Museum of the Mountain Dulcimer in Hindman is now "Museum of Soggy Splintered Wood," or nearly, I'm told.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •