Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 123334353637

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

I love op.146. Who's taking the cadenza?

"I love op.146. Who's taking the cadenza?"

Mark Davis.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    "I love op.146. Who's taking the cadenza?"

Mark Davis.
    Ah, I should have expected. Enjoy!

I hope you will YouTube the concert for the travel-shy. I don't get to hear James Kellaris's music very often and he is a favorite.

The Hampton Trio (Mark Davis, mandolin; Beverly Davis, classical guitar; myself, on mandola in G) is performing today at the Hingham (MA) library, in their "Sunday Sounds Series" under the auspices of the Boston Classical Guitar Society. Ensemble music by Benedetto Marcello, Ricardo Sandoval, Raffaele Calace, Piazzolla, and Joel Hobbs' arrangement for the Trio of his wonderful piece for mandolin orchestra, "Memories from the Future". I will also play two unaccompanied works, "Ode to Elsie" by Joel Hobbs, for mandocello (performed on the liuto cantabile); and Giuseppe Pettine's "Murmuring Brook," for mandolin (performed on the CGDA mandola). Free admission, donations gratefully accepted.
    Robert A. Margo

The New York Mandolin Orchestra will be presenting its 96th annual concert this coming Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM at Christ and St. Stephen's Church at 120 West 69th Street in Manhattan. Seating begins at 2:30. Suggested donation is $20.00. The New York Mandolin Orchestra is a NYS Not-For-Profit Corporation with a federal 501(c)(3) tax exemption. The concert will be an interesting mix of classical and popular pieces.

7. The following members say thank you to Bob Gochfeld for this post:

The Louisville Mandolin Orchestra, now under the baton of Ascher Taylor-Schroeder, will present a concert on Monday May 15 at the Anchorage Presbyterian Church, in Anchorage, Kentucky, beginning at 7:00 pm. Admission is free, but donations are appreciated. LMO operates under the 501(c)(3) exemption, which allows those attending to write enormous checks to the LMO without IRS scrutiny. (That may not be true)
    The program includes several Latin dance forms, including choro, tango and rumba, as well as two pieces from our late colleague, John Goodin-'Angels' and 'Waltz Lesson'. In addition we will introduce a brand new piece written for the LMO by composer Joseph Michaels entitled 'Two by Three in Anza Borrego'.

Concert of Note!

A special evening with Carlo Aonzo

Thursday, December 14th, 2023
    7:30 PM

A sponsor helps us keep ticket price low- $25 ea

Hellertown Grist Mill /Tavern Room
    150 W. Walnut St
    Hellertown PA

Plenty of parking next to Tavern Room or across the street-

Jan

10. The following members say thank you to carpqueen for this post:

Eugene 

I would post our Oregon Mandolin Orchestra concert (tonight, Dec 8) but as usually happens at the Hillsboro Walters Arts Center, it was sold out as of a few days ago.
    It's fun to read this thread and dream about traveling to all these great shows, and to hear about world class artists playing at local relatively small venues. I am sometimes frustrated to learn too late about an event I could have gone to--I need to check this thread more often.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

Concert of Note! Italian Night: Featuring Mike Guggino and Barrett Smith with Special Guest Carlo Aonzo Dec. 11 @ Parker Hall Brevard Music Center 7:30 PM

Tonight! . . . If you happen to be near central Ohio. I'm among the "friends" in this tremendously diverse chamber-music-with-guitar concert: Karl Wohlwend and Friends. My time on stage will be given to Calace's (1863–1934) VI° Mazurka, op.141 and Serenata Malinconica, op.120 for mandolin and guitar and a two-movement duo for two mandolins by Leone (ca.1735–ca.1789).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post: