Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Hi Bob,

Thanks for attending the recital today and thanks for the kind words about the concert and my playing. #It was nice to see a fellow order of the bowl member in the audience. #The acoustics in that church are very nice. #You were seated close to Joyce Adams by the way. #A solid classical right hand technique goes a long way in producing good tone and volume whether playing ppp and all the way up to fff passages. #Thanks to the likes of Joyce Adams and Richard Walz I got a good start in this regard. #What was your favorite piece of the program?

Jonathan R.
    Jonathan R.

Gee, Jonathan, maybe the best part was when I parked the grandson in the vestibule so I could pay attention to the music.

I regret I missed an intro to Ms Adams; I'm hoping to sign on to a few lessons from her, in hopes of wiping out three decades' worth of bad habits while picking up a few good ones.

I really liked the Satie. Translates well to the mando/guitar duo format.

Hi all,

I am performing on Saturday with my wife and musical partner, Maggi Smith-Dalton

The mandolin content is small but significant -- in addition to accompanying some songs on mando, I'll be playing Pettine's Christmas Song.

I'll also be playing banjo (gut-strung late 19th century style) and piano. Maggi is a soprano who also plays guitar. Come and introduce yourself if you are able to make it.

Here is the info:
    COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG CONCERTS
    2 and 4 p.m. Saturday 12/17/05 Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
    DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum
    300 Years of Christmastide in America
    One hour concert program, 2 shows
    $5 in addition to musuem admission

Come journey with us across the United States, from New England to the
    plains of the West, the Coast of the Pacific...a 300-year journey in
    song and story. Hear the many ways folks have celebrated (or refused
    to celebrate) the Yuletide/Christmas season in the New World.

When browsing Ralf Leenen's site, I came across a somewhat hidden link to thissite, which has recordings of an entire concert of his ensemble in 2004. Some great music here!

Martin

Great- thanks for that! #Digging the Handel right now.

Marilyn Mair will be in Dayton OH Feb 11.

So I've heard! Where's Allen to tell us these things?

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Jan. 11 2006, 21:52)
    So I've heard! #Where's Allen to tell us these things?
    Over here!# #Mandolin Life is busy in Dayton this year!

-----------------------------------------------------------

DMO CONCERT ARTIST SERIES INAUGURAL CONCERT
    Marilynn Mair, mandolin & Adam Larrabee, mandolin/guitar/mandocello

Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 7:30 PM
    Sears Recital Hall, Jesse Phillips Humanities Center
    University of Dayton, Dayton OH 45469

The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra kicks off the DMO CONCERT ARTIST SERIES with "The First Lady of the American Mandolin", Marilynn Mair, and her duo partner, "Fretted String Whiz", Adam Larrabee.

Ms. Mair has established the classical mandolin in music circles worldwide through her artistic interpretation, technical mastery, and devotion to the instrument. An advocate of early Twentieth-Century Brazilian Jazz, called choro, Ms. Mair's scholarship on choro music is some of the most complete in the English language.

Mr. Larrabee, faculty member of the New England Conservatory, has recorded extensively with artists such as Dave Holland and Bela Fleck, and will be accompanying Ms. Mair in this landmark concert. As a composer and arranger, Mr. Larrabee has been commissioned to write works for the New England Conservatory's Contemporary Music Festival, the Milton Academy Chamber Orchestra, the Virginia Commonwealth Classical Guitar Ensemble, and many others.

A selection of Mr. Larrabee's works will be presented in the program, which compliments musical selections by composers Domenico Scarlatti, Bela Bartok, Will Ayton, Brian Israel and Jacob do Bandolim. The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra will open the concert at 7:30 PM.

Ms. Mair and Mr. Larrabee will offer afternoon workshops on Saturday, February 11, at the University of Dayton's Kennedy Union Center, and an evening concert at Sears Hall, Jesse Phillips Humanities Center, University of Dayton, Dayton OH. #Ms. Mair's mandolin workshop will be held from 1-2 PM. Mr. Larrabee's guitar workshop will be held from 3-4 PM. A Meet & Greet reception for the artists will take place from 2-3 PM. Reservations are recommended for the workshops, and advance tickets for the concert are available at a reduced rate.

For more information, a sampling of music, and a printable poster for sharing in your community, visit the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra's Concert Artist Series information page at:

http://DaytonMandolin.net/CAS/Mair-Larrabee.html

DMO Concert Artist Series Inaugural Concert sponsors: Mandolins & More; J. Bovier Acoustic String Instruments; McCutcheon Music; Kimble Mandolins.

DON'T MISS THIS EXCLUSIVE OHIO PERFORMANCE!

Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Hello!

I`m sorry it`s the most offtopic question, but what does "commonwealth" mean? Is it equal to the word "state"? And if "yes", why is it used just for few states? I`ve handled some documents on which stays: "certified by the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia" or "certified by the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachussetts".

Thanks!
    Plamen

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Oct. 11 2005, 18:23)
    Wirral Mandoliers & St. Helens Ladies Choir
    Knowsley Parish Church, Merseyside
    Thursday, 13th October, 7:30pm
    Admission: £5

Our programme is going to be (probably):
    (*) joint with choir

Joh. B. Kok: Avanti
    Santa Lucia
    Fairings (*)
    Jacques Offenbach: Barcarolle (from Tales of Hoffmann) (*)
    Joh. B. Kok: Gamine
    Anton Dvorak: Humoresque
    Sebastian Yradier: La Paloma
    Richard Rogers: Edelweiss (*)
    Frederic Chopin: So Deep Is The Night (*)
    Eduardo di Capua: O Sole Mio
    Jay Ungar: Ashokan Farewell
    Well, it took me three months to finally get hold of a tape of our concert in October, but I now have it. I'm not overly impressed with the recording quality or setup, but this was out of our hands (the venue recorded it for their own archive). So, a single microphone of dubious quality recording onto cassette tape, with no soundcheck or level control. Considering this, the result is not too bad, even if the tape failed to catch the timbre of the bowlbacks satisfactorily, and the mandola and guitar are a bit low in the mix.

No promises of musical quality (we're amateurs and proud), but if any of you are interested, I have put mp3s of eight pieces here. The tape failed for three of the pieces (Fairings, Barcarolle and Gamine), but the rest are here (La Paloma was chopped in two by the tape changing sides, and I edited it back together, leaving out one repetition, so this is the short version).

Any comments are welcome!

Martin

[QUOTE= (jgarber @ Oct. 08 2005, 14:08)]Saturday, February 11, 2:00 p.m. Weill Rexcital Hall, New York City
    http://www.midamerica-music.com/weill_janfeb2006.htm

Ensemble "Russian Carnival"
    Tamara Volskaya, domra, mandolin, director
    Mayya Kalikhman, domra, alto-domra, mandolin, mandola
    Nataliya Vsevolodskaya, balalaika-alto, guitar
    Anatoliy Trofimov, bayan, mandola
    Leonid Bruk, balalaika-contrabass
    This concert featuring Tamara Volskaya and premiering one of Victor's works is now sold out and I thought I would not be going but a ticket made it self magically available to me, so I am going.

I will report back after Saturday.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah, the joy —and rarity!—#of attending a sold out premiere of a modern piece! But, of course, there is virtually zero correlation: the concert is sold out because of Tamara's playing, not my composition. Still, hey... I can ride on a friend's coat-tails, can't I?

Looking forward to Saturday.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Yes, but Victor, I hear they will be selling those famous VK tee shirts at the intermission.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You mean the ones with the "Famous-Composers-Nobody-Has-Ever-Heard-Of" logo? Oh, yes, I know those... Stylish, VERY stylish!

Just back from Tamara's stupendous performance at Weill Hall (formerly Carnegie Recital Hall, renamed after Sanford I. Weill —Carnegie's prez— donated some serious $$$ for its renovation from delapidated to gloriously "vintage").

I am still in the clouds, and too much in awe to say much about this absolutely dazzling performance. Jim G. was also there —always a pleasure to see fellow MC denizens— so he may "recover" sooner than I, and be able to put together a few cogent words about this performance.

Suffice it to say that the world premiere of my little Toccata Scarlattiana sparkled like champagne and glittered like fine crystal—#and what a tempo! Dear, ever modest Tamara had apologized earlier, while in preparation for this recital, as she and her duo-partner (the demure but formidable Ms. Mayya Kalikhman) would have needed to play the piece "a bit under tempo" (HA!)

UNDER tempo?!?!?!? Gawd Almighty, if they had played this any faster, their picks would have caught on fire! Forget the marked M.M.=100, forget the more realistic, initially discussed 90-ish... This was virtuosity of the highest order: no mad rush to the double-bar, but a perfectly controlled derby on a two-horse carriage, each step perfectly timed, each gesture perfectly coordinated, each nuance brought to the fore. I am in awe of such artistry, and humbled to see how much work, how much effort these two ladies put into this little 3-minute-long vignette of mine.

I couldn't be happier.

I wish I could've been there!!! Congratulations Victor on a stellar premiere of your Toccata Scarlattiana!
    --Linda

Congrats to you Victor and to Ms. Tamara Volskaya & Ms. Mayya Kalikhman!

That many Kioulaphides pieces may follow!

Cheers,

Alex

Thank you, both. You two (among others) know this piece from its "reincarnation" as the 4th movement of my Quartetto No. 1. I have no shame in borrowing from myself. Besides, my first quartet IS subtitled "Le Clavecin" so, what better finale for it than a bit of Scarlattiana?

Where there is crime, there is punishment: Now that Carlo has graciously included the 2nd and 4th movements of my Quartetto No. 1 as curricular material of his 2006 New York Workshop, we will all —myself included—#have to struggle through them.

Ah, those composers, how little they care for the troubles they cause!

Let's see... whatever could I possible add to VK's observations. The Scarlattiana was indeed a delightful piece -- congratulations to Victory -- but IMHO their choice of material and the arrangements were delightlful to me across the board. I had never witnessed Tamara's virtuosity nor had I heard the whole ensemble on CD or elsewhere.

I had found myself smiling continually during the concert at the both the musicianship and entertaining quality of the music. Truly a wonderful time and worth the trip for me.

I know that overall this was not "serious" classical music, but was a nice mixture of Russian folklore, folk music with some adaptations of the baroque and romantic literature.

After the concert, while waiting for Tamara to emerge, I had a nice time hanging out with Victor and Mark Davis of the Providence Orchestra and his wife (who was very nice but whose name I cannot recall). Unfortunately, tho invited, none of us could attend the reception in Brooklyn due to other obligations and a threatening snowstorm.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

"Mark Davis of the Providence Orchestra and his wife (who was very nice but whose name I cannot recall)"

Beverly Davis, who is, indeed, very nice and a fine classical guitarist.

Anyone wishing to hear another performance of Toccata Scarlattiana plus other VK works, watch this space shortly.
    Robert A. Margo

I had a feeling that Beverly was a musician also but we did not get that far in details.

BTW Bob, your name came up in conversation. Evidentally, you are quite well-known at the PMO for your enthusiasm, energy and musicianship.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Dear Friends,

Since the 1st and 2nd movement of the 1st Mandolin Concerto composed by our "own" John Craton is scheduled to be performed, I like to announche a one hour Concert that will take place on Thursday 16th of Februari at 19.30 hours in the Concerthall of our Music-School (Address: Goudsteeg 19, 8011 PP, Zwolle - Netherlands. Free admittance).

Music will be performed by young musicians on the Violin, Mandolin, Violoncello, Guitar, Piano and the Harp. Indeed a heterogeneous music evening.

The Allegro and Adagio (Alabama Lullaby) of Craton´s wonderful 1st Mandolin Concerto (dedicated to Victor Kioulaphides [!!]) are played by Ferdinand Binnendijk on Mandolin and Eva van den Dol at the Piano.
    #
    If you have the opportunity to be with us, be sure you are most welcome.
    For if you can´t make it, here are the Sibelius Scorch files to view and hear the music of this 1st Mandolin Concerto. Just click here and on the file buttons and in the 1st bar of the music.

Best regards,

Alex

Photo: Ferdinand Binnendijk

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferdinand.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	13883  

Ah... "so close, and yet so far!" That very same Thursday evening I will airborn, on the way to Amsterdam— with Athens as my final destination. I will miss this promising performance by, oh, a few hours (and just a few THOUSAND miles or so ) I wish both performers the best of luck, and the composer well-deserved applause. The only thing, *ahem* not QUITE deserved in this Concerto is the dedication but, hey... the composer IS the composer: scripta manent. I am honored all the same, while hardly deserving.

Cheers to all,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by (Alex @ Feb. 13 2006, 15:44)
    Photo: Ferdinand Binnendijk
    Please excuse my graphic designer/photographer inclinations but why is that photo so pink?

Also, is that an Embergher that Ferdinand plays?

I wish I could be there... ah someday!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferdinand.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	13902  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

My best to Ferdinand and Eva! It's a shame they have such poor material to work with (my concerto), but I'm confident they will make it sound far better than it deserves. Wish them success for me, Alex.

BTW, Ferdinand has served as a great inspiration for one of my students who is just a couple years younger. I had him watch the video of Ferdinand playing and it showed the young lad just what he could be doing ... if only we could get him to practice!

John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"