Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567829 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Ferdinand is too young (and culturally removed) to know the old, "I got my kicks on Highway 66" tune... Wearing that sweatshirt, he could use it as an encore...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hello all,

Believe me, John is far to modest about his Mandolin Concerto. It´s really a very fine composition that most likely, once it is better known, will become a standard work in the Mandolin & Orchestra repertoire.

Jim, it is just the (cheap) camera and the fact that all the chairs have this pink colour. And yeh, Ferdinand is playing a 5bis Embergher soloist model.

Thanks Victor and all; I will pass on your good success wishes to them.

Best,

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route_66.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	13906  

Yes, John's modesty apart, this Concerto is a very, very nice piece! I am thrilled that Ferdinand has the opportunity —not to mention the skill — to perform this work well before the undeserving dedicatee can. With my "New Life" dawning (albeit, ehm... slowly), I have been spending many happy hours practicing the bass in preparation for more-than-usual work in the months to come; the less happy corollary is, of course, less time to play mandolin. I do, however, intend to spend the time necessary on John's fine Concerto No. 1, so that I can rise to the occasion when the occasion arises.

Congratulations to all: the ever-generous composer, the dedicated teacher, and the talented student.

Best wishes to Ferdinand on his upcoming concert, and to John!

I have information on two Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra concerts:
    This Saturday February 18th The MMO will be performing on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion. This live show will be performed at the Milwaukee Theater, 500 W. Kilbourn Ave, Milwaukee. Showtime begins at 4:45. Tickets are available from the Milwaukee Theater Box Office and all Ticket Master outlets, by phone at 414-276-4545 or online through ticketmaster.com

May 28, 2006 3 PM The MMO in concert with Carlo Aonzo!!! He'll be accompanied on the first half of the concert by guitarist Rene Izquierdo. The concert will take place at the Shorewood High School Auditiorium, 1701 E. Capitol Drive, Shorewood, WI. (the suburb north of Milwaukee)
    I'll post ticket info for that one when I have it. Carlo will probably be doing a workshop in Milwaukee as well but I don't have that information yet.
    --Linda

Wild picture Alex!!!!
    -L.

I am pleased to announce the following concert by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, to be held at the Providence Public Library, 225 Washington Street, Providence RI, on February 25, 2 PM.

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    With Guest Artists Tamara Volskaya and Anatoliy Trofimov

Providence Public Library
    February 25, 2006

Music For Play C. Mandonico
    Entrata-Canzona-Allegro

Quartet #4, “Marzipan” V. Kioulaphides
    Bradford Mandolin Quartet
    Andante/Allegro-Adagio-Minuetto-Allegro Assai

Diferencias sobre Morenika
    Tamara Volskaya, mandolin

Toccata Scarlattiana
    Tamara Volskaya, mandolin
    Joshua Bell, mandolin

Concerto per orchestra a pizzico
    (United States premiere)
    Sinfonia-Notturno-Rondo

INTERMISSION

Two Russian Romances arr. A. Trofimov

Rondo in G-major W. A .Mozart

Russian Dance (from ‘Swan lake’) P. Tchaikovsky

Autumn Leaves J. Kosma, A. Trofimov

Tamara Volskaya, domra
    Anotoliy Trofimov, bayan

Fresh Cream Owen Hartford
    Anotoliy Trofimov, bayan

Concerto in B-Flat Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-36)
    Tamara Volskaya, mandolin (arr. Trofimov)
    Allegro-Largo-Allegro

The concert is free. Street and garage parking are available in the vicinity of the library.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (Hrimaly @ Feb. 15 2006, 09:56)
    Wild picture Alex!!!!
    It reminds me of a rather unusual album by an unusual band ... the Electric Amish. The title of the album is Barn to be Wild. (Just wish one of them played mando.) Since the Amish do not use electricity, the band is always accompanied by a bicyclist who powers the generator for their performances. They're definitely "cutting edge" for the Amish community.

John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Hello All!

What a wonderful concerts are scheduled here. So good to see new works played. Mandonico is of course a very prolific composer and his ´Music for Play´ is a very nice (mandolin) orchestra work.
    And so many compositions by Victor; just great! Very special that we, here at the message board of the Mandolin Cafe, have all been able to see them develop, released and performed.

This evening we have had the privilege of hearing the first two movements of John Craton´s 1st Mandolin Concerto. It was a great joy to listen (and watch!) Ferdinand and Eva performing it. And judging from the applause and reactions they got afterwards, I know the Concerto was very well received by the audience.
    I already look forward to the 2nd performance of the Concerto and then perhaps all three movements will go!

This is a wonderful Topic-thread. It is very interesting to know what is going on World wide (Australia, the US, Europe etc.) in our mandolin field is really nice.
    Keep on posting here.

Best regards,

Alex.

Ferdinand in action performing John's Concerto.

Name:	Ferdinand_in_Craton.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	14000  

And Eva, who did a marvellous job in accompanying Ferdinand!

Name:	o__pnemen.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	14057  

And... was Tom (Edskes) the page-turner?

Just a guess...

Just back from the "other" side of the pond, too swamped to write more right now; I was indeed tempted to call you up, Alex, as I had a couple of (happy) hours to spend at Schiphol but thought better of it, as you might have been too busy for a surprise call from some crazy Greek or other. Oh, well; next time...

Just a reminder that the Providence Mandolin Orchestra will be presenting a concert this Saturday, 2 PM, at the Providence (RI) Public Library in downtown Providence that will feature several works by our own Victor Kioulaphides, including Differencias, Toccata Scarlattiana, the 4th mandolin quartet, and the US premiere of his concerto for mandolin orchestra (originally for the Het Consort). The guests artists are Tamara Volskaya and Anatoliy Trofimov, they will be doing their Russian duo thing, and the PMO will accompany each separately in pieces (in Tamara's case, she will be playing the Pergolesi concerto in B-flat, originally for violin). Tamara is also performing Differencias and her duo partner for the Toccata will be the PMO's concertmaster, Joshua Bell.

For directions, consult the PMO website at www.mandolin-orchestra.org.

Here is the portion of the program notes pertaining to Victor K:

Victor Kioulaphides was born in Athens, Greece in 1961. He moved to New York City in 1979 where he studied double bass and composition at the Julliard School and the Manhattan School of Music. In addition to an extremely busy schedule as a composer and classical double bassist he is a faculty member at the Lucy Moses School for Music and Dance in New York City. Kioulaphides’ list of awards includes grants from ASCAP and from the Composer Assistance Program at the American Music Center. His compositions have been performed world wide, including at Carnegie Recital Hall, Merkin Hall, and the 92nd Street Y in New York City; and in the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Argentina, Japan, and the Russian Federation.

Kioulaphides has a lengthy catalog including chamber operas, orchestral, chamber, vocal and instrumental works. Of his chamber opera “Ocean Dream” the noted critic Allan Kozinn wrote in the New York Times that the “music [was] accessible and lush, and draws on Baroque and Renaissance elements”. Writing in the New Music Connoisseur James L. Paulk described the score as “endlessly nimble and clever … [Kioulaphides] gives [his singers] music that connects them to the audience at every turn.”

Kioulaphides is a prolific and inspired composer for plucked strings and the first half of today’s concert features several of his most important works in this idiom. Subtitled “Marzipan”, Kioulaphides’ “Quartet #4” -- here performed by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra’s resident ensemble, the Bradford Mandolin Quartet -- is the fourth of a projected set of six for an mandolin group meant to mimic a classical string quartet: first mandolin, second mandolin, tenor mandola (tuned like a viola), and mandocello (tuned like a cello). “Diferencias sobre Morenika” (for solo mandolin) is a beautiful, nostalgic “theme and variations” based on a Greek folk song that makes extended use of an idiomatic mandolin technique, “cross-picking”. Composed originally at the request of Tamara Volskaya for mandolin duo and later incorporated into the final movement of “Quartet #1”, the “Toccata Scarlattiana” evokes the sound and expressiveness of the harpsichord, as the title playfully suggests.

The final work on the first half of the program is the United States premiere of Kioulaphides’ “Concerto per Orchestra a Pizzico”. The concerto was composed for and dedicated to the Dutch mandolin ensemble ‘Het Consort’ conducted by Alex Timmerman. The world premiere took place in Groningen, The Netherlands, in March of 2005. About the concerto the composer writes: “The form of the piece was determined during several conversations with Alex Timmerman. We mused over the idea of a concerto in the usual sense … we also considered some sort of concerto grosso with more than one soloist. The final outcome was a work that features each and every section as occasional soloists. The Concerto is in three movements, fast-slow-fast: a Sinfonia first movement, a notturno second one, and a Rondo finale, subtitled ‘Telemanniana’ fusing the gallantries of the Master from Magdeburg with the modern material of the earlier two movements”.
    Robert A. Margo

*blush*

The above program notes were adroitly compiled/edited by none other than Robert M. himself, out of a maddening array —or should I say "cyber-confetti"?— of information about me and my work. I have endless thanks and compliments for Robert on account of all he has done to bring this project to fruition, from our early contacts that led to my Concerto score ending up in the PMO's Director's hands to begin with, to the "finishing touch" of his eloquent program notes.

I am particularly delighted with the anticipation of hearing my quartet; it will surely be an instructive experience for me, as I hope to return to composing Nº 5 and Nº 6 later this year. Tamara is guaranteed to dazzle with her skill, and the Concerto will surely be a treat to hear again, "reborn", as it were, under the leadership of Mark Davis and the fine playing of the PMO.

A million thanks to Robert, and, for those who will be able to make it to this promising concert... see you in Rhode Island! #

Hi Victor,

I'm trying to re-arrange my Saturday so I can be in Providence. I'm really looking forward #to the entire program!

Also, We have a concert on Sunday :
    Sunday, February 26, 2006, 2:30 p.m.
    WHITE PLAINS PUBLIC LIBRARY
    100 Martine Ave
    White Plains, NY
    (914) 422-1400

ACOUSTIC BLEND
    Judy Handler & Mark Levesque
    Guitars & Mandolin

For Sephora- Stochelo Rosenberg
    (b. 1968)

Bei Mir Bis Du Schein- Jacobs, Secunda, Cahn & Chaplin

Appanei Te Cavaquinho- Ernesto Nazareth
    (1863-1934)

Brasileirinho- Waldyr Azevedo
    (1923-1980)

Bésame Mucho- Consuelo Velazquez
    (1916-2005)

Como Llora Una Estrella- Antoñio Carillo
    (1892-1962)

Um a Zero- Pixiguinha & Lacerda

Minstrels- Claude Engel
    (b. 1948)

Tarantella- Rafaele Calace
    (1863-1934)

Recuerdos de la Alhambra- Francisco Tárrega
    (1852-1909)

Malaguena- Traditional Spanish

Dark Eyes- Traditional Russian

Cheers,
    Mark

Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Re: Judy and Mark's program, very nice! "Minstrels", in particular, by Claude Engel, is an excellent, highly accessible piece. I am fairly certain he has written other pieces for mandolin and guitar.
    Robert A. Margo

Nickel Creek has updated their website with a boatload of US concerts starting in March!

http://www.nickelcreek.com/

I know it's not real bluegrass, but it's great entertainment value no matter what genre they are!
    Dotty

Just back from...

Name:	Providence.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	14208  

... Rhode Island, where the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, directed by Mark Davis, gave a splendid U.S. premiere to my Concerto per orchestra a pizzico. The PMO is a fine group, with a lovely mix of sound(s); Mark conducts with rare finesse and a keen sense of musical direction. It was evident that both he and the orchestra had thought this piece through with great, and loving care. I am honored and humbled by their efforts.

Prior to the Concerto, I was already in sheer delight by the wonderfully cozy, gemütlich performance of my "Marzipan" Quartetto by the Bradford Quartet. "YES!", I thought as I sat in the audience; "THAT's the spirit!" Four musician-friends, making it all happen in the finest, warmest, noblest spirit of chamber music.

After the quartet, the one-and-only Tamara V. flew through my Diferencias, while she and concertmaster Josh Bell gave a chime-like rendition of my Toccata Scarlattiana. The mandolin-world is in good hands!

The event was no less pleasant on the personal level: SO many cyber-friends, suddenly meeting in person for the first time! Bob Margo, Dan Moore... I could not possibly remember them all; Mark Levesque was kindly able to attend... Too many happy memories to encapsulate in one, single post, without making it a marathon for the reader. For once, I must try to contain my effervescent prose and be brief.

To summarize, then:

Oh, and... a HUGE "bravi!" to all!

Quote Originally Posted by (Mark @ Feb. 22 2006, 19:20)
    Also, We have a concert on Sunday :
    Sunday, February 26, 2006, 2:30 p.m.
    WHITE PLAINS PUBLIC LIBRARY
    I actually managed to get out of the house today and down to the library to hear Judy and Mark play and it was wonderful. Nice eclectic selection and the crowd enjoyed it.

Mark is one of my good cyber-friends who I had yet to meet in person until today and it was truly great to connect in person, to also meet Judy (another fine musician) and to hear them both play.

Great day!

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Congrats to Victor, Mark Davis and the entire Providence Mandolin Orchestra and all the other musicians of the concert!

Cheers,

Alex

"Congrats to Victor, Mark Davis and the entire Providence Mandolin Orchestra and all the other musicians of the concert!"

We (the PMO) were very happy with the turnout (the hall was maybe 80-85 percent full), and it is always inspiring to perform with Tamara and Anatoliy. It was a great honor to play Victor's music.

BTW, the post-concert party was great fun, featuring impromptu and entirely improvised arrangements by Tamara, Anatoliy, various PMO'ers and others of, eg. Recuerdos de la Alahambra, various Russian tunes, a medley from "Fiddler on the Roof", Beatles, Gerswhin, and, last but not least, "Never on Sunday".
    Robert A. Margo

Oh, yes... I failed to mention the party! Unfortunately, by that time jetlag was raging in my cloudy head —ehm... aided, as it were, by a glass of red wine— so I was too incoherent to participate in the jam session. I have a distinct distaste for handling musical instruments when I feel my own hardware in a state of discoordination. No PWI (Playing While Impaired) for me!

Mark and I did tinker on a handful of (delicious!) instruments early Sunday morning but, of course, by then it was high noon in Athens.

So, Bob... raincheck?

I also (shamefully) neglected to mention that the second half, featuring Ms. Volskaya, was stunning, her rendition of Mozart's G Major Rondo was breathtaking... She is always a treat and I enthusiastically recommend that all on the Café make an effort to catch up with (at least) one of her performances at some time.

"So, Bob... raincheck?"

You bet!
    Robert A. Margo

Thumbs up

I echo Alex's comment:
    "Congrats to Victor, Mark Davis and the entire Providence Mandolin Orchestra and all the other musicians of the concert!"
    I had a nice time. It was wonderful to hear Tamara and/or the PMO performing Victor's beautiful composition and I enjoyed the 2nd half as well.
    Bravo to all!

Jim, thanks for attending our show!
    If the library had not been closing, I wonder how long we would have stayed in the hall discussing mandolins and guitars??

Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

I don't know Joyce's playing but she lives in my county, so I may try to get down to one of these (from the announcment pages):

Upcoming performances by Joyce Balint on the Mandolin
    Wednesday, March 8, 2006
    12:10 PM Grace Church, Main Street, White Plains, New York
    Lunchtime concert: 35 minutes
    No admission charge
    With: Mory Ortmann, piano
    Performing works by Scarlatti; Beethoven; Gervasio; Armin

Saturday, March 18, 2006
    8:00 PM Howland Cultural Center, 477 Main Street. Beacon, New York 12508
    Tickets: $12 adults; $8 seniors/students
    (845) 831-4988 or (845) 297-2340
    With: Seth Jacobs, cello
    Siri Milkov, piano
    Performing works by Vivaldi; Hummel; Gervasio; Beethoven; Scarlatti
    (note: only piece that is the same in both programs is the Scarlatti)

Sunday, April 2, 2006
    3:00 PM
    Chamber Music Westchester series
    Tarrytown Music Hall
    13 Main Street
    Tarrytown, New York 10591
    (914) 631-3390
    with: Stefan Hoskuldsson, flute
    Giacomo LaVita, guitar
    Susan Jolles, harp
    Including works by: Bob Stone; Glenn Hardy; Lowell Liebermann; Henze; Scheidler; Music of the Peruvian Indians, more
    Tickets: $20 adults; $15 Seniors; $5 students
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1