Thread: IV F5 Kit finally done

Default IV F5 Kit finally done

Well better late than never. Here is the finished IV F5 kit mandolin that I've been building. I've made so many mistakes that with all honesty, I'll have to call it a “mandolin like object” The tone sound seems surprisingly good but it buzzes like hell right now and I need to do a complete set-up to dial it in. I think that I made every mistake in the book(and maybe some not in the book). Some of the defects are hard to look at. For some reason, the binding that was supplied with the kit soaked up and permanently stained with the use of the alcohol based leather dye that Seminoff recommended. It looks terrible and I was unable to scrape it off. The ivoriod peghead binding that I purchased from Seminoff had no trouble with scrapping off the dye. Also after the stain had been put on, I noticed a hairline fracture on the top of the soundboard that really pissed me off. It might have came with the kit but I can't prove it. All in all, I got frustrated with the defects and didn't put as much effort into final sanding so there are still some hairline sanding marks that can be seen. I considered ripping off the binding and re-doing the binding and the finish but I think that I'll use this as an object lesson for the next one that I plan to build, a scratch build and not take the trouble to re-do this one. Live and learn.

Not quite sure what to tell people who look too closely at it but I am considering the following explanations:

1. I was so completely impressed with the “distressed look” that so many companies are using that I decided to emulate it.

2. I've always admired the Amish who as an homage to God always leave a bit of imperfection in their work. They feel that only God can make something perfect.

Anyway, put a fork in it, it's done!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IV_F5_front.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	97021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IV_F5_Back.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	97020

Default Re: IV F5 Kit finally done

Congrats! Looks great, especially the back.

I feel your pain with all the things that do go wrong. I'm finally nearing the end on mine and got to the point of ignoring cosmetic defects just to get it finished.

Have fun playing it!
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

Hey thanks. Glad that I'm not the only one!

Blog Entries

Well bloody done Stuart! If anyone says building a mandolin is easy, they have obviously never built one. Most of the time making the first one is spent working out how to cover up mistakes. You are not alone. Your new scratch build will be an altogether different experience. When building from scratch you have total control over the process and all those lessons you learned building the first one will go into making the next a beast you can be proud of ( not that you can't be proud of this one of course).

My only suggestion would be; Why not make an 'A' style for the first scratch build, thus eliminating a lot of work and worry and enabling you to concentrate more on the arching and other acoustically and structurally important bits?

Also - if you do a really thorough search of ancient threads on these forums, you will find the first builds of some now well respected builders. Among them are some real shockers.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I was actually going to build an "A" style but I started thinking and decided to design my own that was for lack of a better description an F31/2. It would be a "F5" like mandolin but the body scroll would look like the other two points and the peghead would mirror the body. Still will look sort of like an F5 but be way easier to bind. It would be similar to building "A" style but would require bone points on three parts of the body. I also like the idea of building my own design.

Blog Entries

Yeah well that's what I did and I'm glad but even the points have their problems.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Yeah but compared to the binding channel on an F5, it's a walk in the park.

Blog Entries

LOL - true.:-)

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Great job. Something to be proud of!
    Avi

Stuart, nicely done! Don't give a thought to what anyone may or may not say! Just as Peter said building a mandolin is not easy! You should be very proud!

Blog Entries

I've never met a writer who thought the story/book/article he just finished was any good. I've never met an artist who though the piece they just finished was any good. I've never met a potter who thought the piece they just threw was any good. And I've never met a woodworker who was able to see past the mistakes they made--or who couldn't walk into my shop and immediately point out that error I thought I'd hidden. It's all a journey, and none of us are at the end. A master turner who is a friend of mine told him that his buds walk into his shop, point out a smooth-as-glass piece and say, "Aren't you going to sand it?"

Which reminds me of something I read once. This writer for a yoga/new age/zen type magazine was interviewing some very famous Yogi. (Not Berra, no.) The writer said: You're so far down the path to enlightenment, can you give some advice to those way back here at the beginning? The Yogi laughed at him. He said, "I get up every morning and have the same struggles everyone does. I don't ever know if I'm going to be able to take the next step. I don't ever know if I'm on the right path. No matter where we are on the path, we all have the same challenge: to put one foot in front of the other, day after day." (I'm paraphrasing.)

Onward, pilgrim ... (grasshopper?)! To the next build--and beyond!
    Last edited by belbein; Jan-17-2013 at 1:35pm. Reason: double negatives!

looks great, Stuart.
    And you owe nobody any explanations. All of the "lessons" are now part of your mando, and part of your new knowledge. And frankly, just to have finished it and have a playable instrument is huge... I don't even want to guess how many people start kits and poop out or let some mistake or problem keep them from finishing. I have an A5 kit and overrouted the binding channel, and there it sits in my shop, unfinished, as a reminder of lessons learned.

Be proud.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Stuart, you should be really proud. Looks like very nice work for #1.

That color is great. You have built one more than hacks like me who just think about it. Congratulations!

Registered User Wilbur Tabacsko's Avatar

Hold your head high Stuart, good job. Glad to hear ya finished it, a lot of 'em don't! Catch your breath and get started on number two!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Nothin' to be ashamed of there. No matter how many you make in the future, hang on to this first one-- something special about a first.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I don't care what you think about your work, that's a nice looking mando!
    The Citadel
    c/o 2000

Well done, nice burst. Welcome to your new addiction !

I just wanted to THANK everyone on this forum. You have helped me in every imaginable way to finish this project and I am very grateful to the kind and knowledgeable souls that haunt this place. Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. I did the set-up on the mandolin today and I'm really happy the tone and playability. Now I just need to learn how to play mandolin. And yes...... I am already planning my next one. Woe is me! A glutton for punishment.

Stuart, after reading your other post of the kit reviewed, I still say you did an amazing job! I have heard about the quality of the parts but, it is a great way to get your feet wet. I was fortunate enough to train with a luthier for several years. As stated earlier, building a mandolin is no easy feat! I am always learning with every step of each build. Now get started with number 2!!!!!

Great job on the finished project. Your eye is likely to go automatically to what you think is an error because you know where to look. No one else will notice it. Besides, if you want perfect---buy platic. Super outcome!

I know it's an old thread, but does the fret board lay flat no the top or is it rased like the traditional f5 mandolins?

Nice job by the wy! I'm considering ordering one and I'm getting all the info I can out of these older posts.