Thread: Stathopoulo Mandolin Bowlback, Ornate

Default Stathopoulo Mandolin Bowlback, Ornate

This looks nice but I have not viewed the photos in detail.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25565348048...emCondition=10

Default Re: Stathopoulo Mandolin Bowlback, Ornate

I saw that and was a little tempted
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I'd make sure it's playable first. Several years ago I bought a very ornate pearl encrusted wall hanger that thankfully I was able to return.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

A few images of this lovely mandolin for posteriority.

I'm not in the market, but I wrote a note to the seller to ask that they provide a side view or two so folks could ascertain the neck condition.

Would likely help make or break a sale.

If playable, I don't think the price is bad.

Lots of little bling bits to replace, but that isn't insurmountable.

Mick

Nick...you seem to have an eagle eye for these old bowlbacks....wondering if they might be better located in the "bowlbacks of note" thread even if they are up for sale on Ebay. Might find a more interested and informed response.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahopoulo_A-#3-Front.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	202488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahopoulo_A-#3-Back.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	202489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahopoulo_A-#3-Detail.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	317.8 KB 
ID:	202490  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stahopoulo_A-#3-Tuners.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	202491  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Mick, I put the Tremolina into the flatbacks of note thread as it was suggested to me in a comment. In future, I may well do the same with interesting bowlbacks but I suppose I post in the eBay section as someone might be tempted. Sue was tempted it seems! I don't think this mandolin is too overwhelmed with glitzy sweet nothin's- but it has enough to be getting along with...

6. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Mick, I put the Tremolina into the flatbacks of note thread as it was suggested to me in a comment. In future, I may well do the same with interesting bowlbacks but I suppose I post in the eBay section as someone might be tempted. Sue was tempted it seems! I don't think this mandolin is too overwhelmed with glitzy sweet nothin's- but it has enough to be getting along with...
    I was only a little tempted

(I happened upon the listing while I was doing my daily scan for oval hole Strad-O-Lins)
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Nick!

Well, I hope Sue comes on over to the "bowlbacks of note" thread, too!

I did write the seller who responded promptly with some additional photos that HINTED at a neck in reasonable shape, but weren't definitive enough should I be shopping.

I wrote back with hopefully a clearer description of the type of photos that would be helpful.

If I could have included examples in my reply I would have but I didn't see an option for that.

The best thing you did was to include "Stahopoulo" in the thread heading...that will at least help with any searches.

It bugs me when folks start a message thread with "What's this I found?" or "Any ideas about this?" or such when there's a clear label or some other helpful identifiable information avaiable.

The search engine here is good but if folks take a moment to name their message thread (as you did) it works even better.

The "bowlbacks of note" thread is the single biggest / best compendium of information about bowlback mandolins that exists on the internet. There's "search this thread" function for it, too.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

9. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

That is funny... I missed this thread altogether. I had the same message conversation with the seller and we were about to make arrangements to meet since she was about a 40 minute drive for me. Then she told me that it was sold. Anyone here got it? I sincerely hope it is in playable or at least moderately fixable shape.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1